Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:39:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 228
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How quickly does hiv change to aids? Left untreated?  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Positive19

How quickly does hiv change to aids? Left untreated?
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
I'm just wondering. I tested positive. I was a sex worker for 2 years and I didn't get tested at all in that time. Actually haven't been tested since I was 14 tbh. Anyhow, I was just wondering how bad can it get? Since I have only taken the standard test. If anyone knows I'd deeply appreciate it.

Offline buginme2

Re: How quickly does hiv change to aids? Left untreated?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:27:19 pm »
 It depends.   Some people are fine for a decade or more.   Other people can be dead in a year.   Your results will vary.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Positive19

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:10 pm »
It depends.   Some people are fine for a decade or more.   Other people can be dead in a year.   Your results will vary.

Is there an average of any kind though?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »
Anyone and everyone who gets a positive test result starts to ask such questions and worry about the future.  The only way to find out one's situation at diagnosis is to get all the blood work and see where things stand.
There really isn't an average time of disease progression that is meaningful to an individual.  Anyway, these days, the game is - when someone knows he/she is HIV+, medicine steps in and monitors the whole situation and steps in whenever meds are necessary and the whole point is to create health, from diagnosis onwards...

Welcome here.
Also, did you get a Western Blot confirmation that you are HIV+?
Have you started to get other blood draws, to see where your system is?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Positive19

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »
Thank you

No I had a rapid test done at pp. I've done the conventional test I haven't gotten results back until next week.

I know I haven't had it too long at least not 3 years because I had my daughter then she's hiv negative. I just worry its not already progressed to anything yet. Future seems so bleak this way I guess my best bet is to just wait though if its 10 years maybe there's hope so if there's life expectancy I don't get it what's the goal? Like how would someone know they're surviving a long time with the medication?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:10 pm »
welcome to the forum . I have been living with HIV for over 30 years and you can do it too . It takes time and there is a learning curve to living with HIV but you will get there .

You are going to be OK .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Positive19

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »
Wow that's a long time. When did you get diagnosed/treated? What treatment did you take? How are you now? If ok to ask.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:09:20 pm »
I was symptomatic a few years before the test became available in 1985 . I have been on far too many treatments to go over here but I take 3 pills a day now have no side effects at all from them . I'm on Intelence and Truvada . I am doing very well and lead a full happy life .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:16 pm »
Thank you

No I had a rapid test done at pp. I've done the conventional test I haven't gotten results back until next week.

I know I haven't had it too long at least not 3 years because I had my daughter then she's hiv negative. I just worry its not already progressed to anything yet. Future seems so bleak this way I guess my best bet is to just wait though if its 10 years maybe there's hope so if there's life expectancy I don't get it what's the goal? Like how would someone know they're surviving a long time with the medication?

The only thing to do for an HIV+ person is to take it from today, forward.  The medicine is in place to quickly control HIV infection.  You cannot know the state of of your immune system. Its not possible to guess.  You need a western blot confirmation, and complete blood work to see where you are.
There is a lot of talk about a "near normal lifespan" at least for some HIV+ people.
The most important thing is to have your medical care arranged.  HIV+ people need regular monitoring.  When the need for drugs is established, they are expensive.  The HIV+ person has to make sure he/she has access to good care, and if that is in place, and we follow a good doctor's care, then things usually work out pretty well, these days.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ratcat

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54:07 am »
Get your cd4 checked 3-4 times per year.  Not expensive at all.   Talk to a doctor.  Being in denial or ignoring HIV is the biggest danger.  Meds are not expensive in some countries, free in others and even available cheap through programs in the USA(USA most expensive).    Where are you?

Just because somebody is facing up to their HIV doesn't mean that it defines them.  Ignoring it will kill you in 1-10 years.  I'm healthy as a horse...you can be as well. 

Offline aaware72

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:12:51 am »
It varies depending on the person.  In my case my last neg test was May 2012 and I test poz Jan 2013.  Ended up very sick in the hospital Aug 2012 (this is where we guess I converted)  My first blood was done in Feb 2013 and my CD4 was 230 and VL was 53,000.  It would appear in my case it hit me hard and fast.  With medications by May 13 I was UD and my CD4 was up over 400. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.