Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 387
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viibryd anyone?  (Read 11048 times)

Offline mitch777

Viibryd anyone?
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:13:50 pm »
I'm about to start on another med adventure and was wondering if anyone had experience with Viibryd (where do they come up with these names ::).)
It's a relatively new antidepressant that is supposed to work "differently" according to my psychiatrist. She says she waits for word of mouth from colleagues before prescribing new meds. I guess she was convinced.
So far antidepressants that I've been on (not for depression) have kinda driven me up a wall. (warning! :P.)
My emotions have been closer to the surface lately and thought I could use help in dealing with this. I do get talk therapy from her but not so sure it is making much of a difference.
After AMG Chicago and the good news in regards to my disability case I'm feeling pretty good. Funny timing.
Anyway, any input would be helpful.
m.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Viibryd anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 05:41:48 am »
Mitch, I've not heard of this but found a little info about it here:

http://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=Viibryd

There are different links to click there.  I'm going to be interested to see how you get along with it in a few weeks (since it takes a few weeks for these pills to either be efficacious or not).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:22:41 am »
Mitch, I've not heard of this but found a little info about it here:

http://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=Viibryd

There are different links to click there.  I'm going to be interested to see how you get along with it in a few weeks (since it takes a few weeks for these pills to either be efficacious or not).
Thanks Betty!
I had checked it out online but your link was more helpful.
Yikes on the side effects list!
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Major drug interaction with Trazodone. (I mentioned that I was taking it but my doc didn't seem to be concerned.) I've already got insomnia from Isentress and Viibryd seems to list this as a common side effect. Guess I will just have to try it out.
I will let you know how it goes. The patient comments in the link seemed to be all over the map.
m.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:36:22 pm »
If it states it interacts with Trazadone, you may just want to make a quick call to the pharmacist.  Because the interaction may not be severe.  As far as the side effects, those seem to be pretty typical of anti-depressants.  They all sound horrible, but I wouldn't project any onto you.  As for the people's comments, yes, they're all over.  It's kind of like that with any med, they work for some and not for some.  Don't let that define your experience with this med.  It could work.  I'm interested to see if it does.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:11 pm »
I think you have to be careful with the information you find online about drugs, especially people's comments.  Comments almost always are tilted to the negative (and that goes for other information online, not just medications).

That's said, my understanding is that Viibryd is an "updated" version of Effexor.  Supposedly with fewer sexual side-effects.  It is an SSRI type of anti-depressant, which are the most popular.

The only way to know how it will work for you is to try it.  What works for you may not work for others.  Personally, SSRIs have not worked well for me (and the sexual side-effects were severe).  Others get good results from SSRIs, and have no sexual side-effects.  Go figure.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:53 am »
A 3 week update.
I've been on the lowest dose (10 mg) for 3 weeks and I started the 20 mg dose today.

Side effects so far...

The first 2 or 3 days there were some minor gut issues. A bit more gas than usual is still around to help boost the Tootvada.

Another side effect that came as a surprise is that it seems to be helping more than anything I've taken before for my headaches! My best guess is that the level of pain has been reduced by about 25% but the frequency is still the same. (daily)

I haven't had any major depression since starting but I think it's too early to know.
Onward I will go...

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »
Well, at least there are no disabling or horrible side effects.  I hope it works for you. Do you also have a therapist? 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:07:28 am »
Well, at least there are no disabling or horrible side effects.  I hope it works for you. Do you also have a therapist?

Thanks Betty. Yes I have a psychiatrist. I will be seeing her in about 2 weeks to discuss weather I jump up to the final dose. (40 mg) I'm kind of happy with the current dose but we'll see.

Yesterday was my first 20 mg dose and last night my headache pain level was a 1 (on a 1-10 pain scale that I have been tracking in my "headache diary" for over a year supplied by my neurologist and hoping to use at my disability hearing). It was the FIRST #1 pain level since I've kept track. :) :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:47 pm »
viibryd has been a mixed bag. some sexual side effects. not major but bothersome.
brain fog on 20 mg has been more than I like and reminds me of the atripla days. I asked her to go back to the 10 mg dose.  she said this was not a normal therapeutic dose but due to the meds that I am on she felt it was a reasonable idea. I was so happy to see she knew my health situation actually played a role in it.

The BIG news is that for the first time in my life for the past 2 1/2 years I do not have a headache tonight!!! Ready for bed as I'm tired but I am elated at the same time.

m.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:05 pm »
viibryd has been a mixed bag. some sexual side effects. not major but bothersome.
brain fog on 20 mg has been more than I like and reminds me of the atripla days. I asked her to go back to the 10 mg dose.  she said this was not a normal therapeutic dose but due to the meds that I am on she felt it was a reasonable idea. I was so happy to see she knew my health situation actually played a role in it.

The BIG news is that for the first time in my life for the past 2 1/2 years I do not have a headache tonight!!! Ready for bed as I'm tired but I am elated at the same time.

m.

Hurray for no headache!

I take aripiprazole for bipolar I, and since it's cleared by the same thing that cobicistat (in Stribild) inhibits, my dose has to stay unusually low — I'm soaking in it longer than most people would be.

I would very much like my dose to be 0. But we shall see.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 10:18:24 am »
Hope it works out for you Mitch .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07:22 pm »
Thanks Lee and Michael.
Lee, best of luck to you with your meds too. I started on the lower dose today and the fog has lifted quite a bit already. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to help with my headaches. It was working before to some extend so I am optimistic.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.