Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:09:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 637
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Garden Woes Will Soon Be Over  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Basquo

My Garden Woes Will Soon Be Over
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:51 pm »
Okay, so I’ve had bad luck with my gardening this year. Plants trampled, broken, and dripped with paint. Caterpillars destroyed in their chrysalis. A tree falling into my porch and not being removed for over a week. Three weeks ago, the “landscapers” weed-whacked some of my butterfly milkweeds, and a 5-foot goldenrod and some of my neighbours’ bean plants.  Now tell me, if you saw blooming and healthy non-grass plants in an obvious bed solidly bordered by stones that are not in the ground, would you think maybe this resident, who has grand potted plants and hanging baskets, is ignoring what is growing and blooming in the beds? Of course I called to complain and ask for compensation, and then last week I spoke with the manager who claimed she never got the message, but she said she would talk to the owner of the contracted “landscaping” company.  

On Tuesday, I came home and started tending the garden, and I noticed something else: more of mine and my neighbours’ plants had been cut down by a weed eater.  More butterfly milkweed was gone.  The sunflower seedlings that I had planted to fill the space left by the last scalping were gone, too.  And my neighbours’ tomato plants had been cut as well.  I’m talking 3-foot plants inside cages.  The manager has not returned my latest call.

On Wednesday, I went to the pool to cool off after watering the plants.  One of the complex’s maintenance men stopped to talk to me.  He said they were “gonna try to get some grass growing” behind my building.  There’s plenty of grass already, but it gets sparse in places because the irrigation system has never worked for more than a week at a time, and they never do any fertilizing or pre-emergent treatment.  The clover grows thicker.  It’s only dandelion-free because I spend hours each spring carefully pouring a kettle of boiling water over each weed. But instead of removing the rest of the fallen tree, or fixing the sprinklers, they have bids out for someone to turn up the ground, lay new sod and places palettes of St. Augustine grass, when that obviously was not successful before.

As I floated in the pool a few minutes later, staring up at the blue sky and white clouds, it came to me:  “FUCK IT.” I’ll be moving next spring.  Let them have it all.
From now on, I’ll garden only on the porch.

Today, I started digging up the butterfly milkweeds and potting them.  They go to Abbey.  The Wandering Jew (three kinds) that came from my childhood home will go as cuttings to colleagues at the office, with the stipulation that I get a few cuttings back when I find a new home.  Abbey also gets the stepping stones that I carefully placed, except the ones that were cracked and painted when the building was “upgraded” to the color of baby shit.

They used to keep a model unit in my building, and take people around the back to show them the eclectic “Austin” feel of the complex.  Now?  They can kiss my brown ass.  I’m done!

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: My Garden Woes Will Soon Be Over
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:45:06 pm »
Wow darlin. How crude. It sounds like you have the right attitude about it though.
Doesn't it just break your heart to see the beautiful things you lovingly tended get wiped out in the blink of an eye? I'm sorry this happened.
I'll bet you have a splendid place when you get settled later.
Hugs for you
      {{{{Creighton}}}}
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:59:03 am »
sorry for your loss .
      My veggy garden is now coming to an end , picked the last of the corn , tomatoes are almost done . S.E. Missouri  cooks the garden by this time.
 My flyingsaucer squash are doing good ! ,and an acorn sqaush that popped up in front of the door has given me three huge green treats .
" Live and let Live "

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 08:15:01 pm »
I would kill some weed wackers (the garden tools, not the persons) for less than that.  I moved extra plants to the pioneer cemetary next door.  The year I moved in, I planted bulbs at about half of the graves and planned on putting in herb gardens.

Then I found out... Once each year, the families of the community founders come in once each year and cut down everything.  Then, they come back two weeks later (Memorial Day) to leave plastic flowers on the graves.  These people have roads named after them and plastic orchids on their graves.  Then there is the politics.  Imagine, some of those families should not be in that cemetary because they only owned land and were not founding pioneers.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:41:31 am »
But.....gardening comes from the heart. So, I can feel your disappointment.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.