Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:07:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773455
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 324
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 295
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dermatological issues related to HIV?  (Read 10390 times)

Offline bradley2023

Dermatological issues related to HIV?
« on: August 02, 2023, 07:19:48 am »
Hey all,

Just curious if my most recent skin conditions are a result of my positive status or if I'm just in my head about it.  I'm in my mid-40's and would occasionally get a rare pimple, but in the last 6 months or so I've had an attack of pimples and dermatitis on my head, face, neck and upper chest that will NOT go away.  I've been to a dermatologist and they've given me an antibiotic and an antihistamine, and they seem to work.  But the minute I get off them, it comes back.  I realize I'm immunocompromised, but just wondering if anyone else in the community went through this as well.

Thanks!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Dermatological issues related to HIV?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 09:32:06 am »
Just curious if my most recent skin conditions are a result of my positive status or if I'm just in my head about it.  ... I realize I'm immunocompromised
I would suggest that your issues are because of being immunocompromised. Your numbers were quite low when you recently began meds. While your viral load should be greatly reduced after (what?) a month plus of taking meds, cd4s amount take time to rebuild. So that will leave you immunocompromised for some time yet.

That's why they have you taking Cotrimoxazole. Until your cd4s are >200, you are at severe risk of PCP pneumonia, which is still a pretty deadly aids-related opportunistic infection. Once you're above 200 cd4s, you won't have to take that med anymore.

Not to mention, your issues could also be because the number of your cd4s are actually climbing. There's a point when having AIDS** that your body simply quits fighting off germs. That's why when you first mentioned that you still felt like yourself without symptoms, it's very possible you had no symptoms simply because you didn't have enough immune system to do anything to cause symptoms. Now that your body is recovering, thanks to the meds, your body will start to do what it's supposed to do and begin to deal with issues your body was neglecting. This situation is called IRIS (Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome). You, and your wife, might just have some irritating issues for a few months as your bodies adjust to the meds, the viral load shrinks and your immune system recovers. It seems counterintuitive that you might have some health issues right now; but those really mean that you're getting better.  ::) :D

** TBH if I were you I wouldn't think of your situation as having "full blown aids". First that's not really a thing. You can either be HIV+ or you can be HIV+ with "Advanced HIV" or "AIDS". That's just the science of the medical definitions.

Now, I as a long term survivor, 40 yrs, having been hospitalized near death a few times, my personal opinion is that Full Blown AIDS is an actual thing. When you're lost a ton of weight, deadly ill, and you're in the hospital hooked up to a lot a machines hoping to stay alive, now that is full blown aids.

I say that not to brag about the horrible situation I was in; but as a way to pass a bit of the knowledge long term survivors have learned - staying alive means staying positive (pardon the pun) and taking away the power and stigma HIV might have over you. While getting this diagnosis and having such low counts weren't lucky, you were lucky to not be hospitalized to find out your diagnosis. And that's a great thing! (my personal motto is any day you're not in the hospital, no matter how bad the day or how bad you feel, that's still a GREAT day!)

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 09:55:02 am »
I used to get fungal rashes all over my chest, face or scalp. So a different cause perhaps but appreciate how frustrating it is..

Starting treatment suppressed the virus, but then my immune system started to wake up, making these types of issues a million times worse of course before getting better.  Taking antibiotics to prevent PCP is a good thing but it seemed to also make my skin issue worse. Went through a lot of antifungal shampoos, tablets and antihistamines the first 18 months or so after starting HIV treatment.

Anyhow, perhaps go back to your doctor if things are not getting better; let them have another look at the rash.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 05:29:54 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 09:58:41 am »
TBH if I were you I wouldn't think of your situation as having "full blown aids". First that's not really a thing. You can either be HIV+ or you can be HIV+ with "Advanced HIV" or "AIDS". That's just the science of the medical definitions.

Now, I as a long term survivor, 40 yrs, having been hospitalized near death a few times, my personal opinion is that Full Blown AIDS is an actual thing. When you're lost a ton of weight, deadly ill, and you're in the hospital hooked up to a lot a machines hoping to stay alive, now that is full blown aids.

"A touch of AIDS"  is what my father with dementia calls it.  Often when asking"Do you still have a touch of AIDS or did they cure that already?"

So not full blown but just a bit of AIDS
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 12:17:38 pm »
ugh. I'd rather not be fingered touched by aids again, thank you very much. LOL :D

Taking antibiotics to prevent PCP a good thing but it seem to also make my skin issue worse.
antibiotics can often cause rashes. I just remembered that PCP prophylaxis can also make you more suspectable to sunburn and cause mild skin irritation.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Charles.M

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 12:39:55 pm »
Hey all,

Just curious if my most recent skin conditions are a result of my positive status or if I'm just in my head about it.  I'm in my mid-40's and would occasionally get a rare pimple, but in the last 6 months or so I've had an attack of pimples and dermatitis on my head, face, neck and upper chest that will NOT go away.  I've been to a dermatologist and they've given me an antibiotic and an antihistamine, and they seem to work.  But the minute I get off them, it comes back.  I realize I'm immunocompromised, but just wondering if anyone else in the community went through this as well.

Thanks!

I am in a similar situation as you.I never had any sypmtoms prior to DX, quite frankliy I was feeling better than ever? My DX came from routine blood panel. I having been on treatment for about 2.5 months and notice small skin things happening, so far quite small. The worst is small light colored red blotches on my cheeks almost like Rosacea. Fotunately they ar barely noticeable. I was and still am worried about Kaposi's sarcoma.

As leatherman said our bodies are basically coming back online and rebooting. There may have been certain infections in our bodies that were just previously ignored. I drive my wife nuts everytime something shows up.

The itching comes and goes, and is worse when out in the sun (Bactrim SE). I have been using Nizoral shampoo as a body wash, along with that I use terrasil antifungal soap, I find this helps with the itching. I also take Benedrayl when it gets too bad.

Sounds like Jim went through alot with his skin, so hang in there but keep tabs on these things just in case.
05/22/23 INITIAL DX
05/26/23 CD4-72/VL-63,400
06/06/23 STARTED BIKTARVY
07/05/23 CD4-NT/VL-63
08/08/23 CD4-163/VL-21
09/15/23 CD4-NT/VL<20
10/17/23 CD4-162/UD
12/25/23 CD4-149/UD

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 03:32:05 pm »
I have been using Nizoral shampoo as a body wash,

That's the stuff. I can recall the smell, did help a lot, though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 03:35:41 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Towel

• Standard
  • Hello!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 04:49:52 pm »
Your experience sounds surprising to me. I've been on the medication for years but it never caused dermatological issues. I have been reading that sometimes the meds can cause some discomfort (like a heavy weighed down feeling) in the stomach and I get that sometimes, but it can be caused by so many other things as well, it is tricky to pinpoint the exact reason.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 04:54:31 pm »
@Towel

Hiya, and welcome to the forums.

You have been on antibiotics for years?

As you are new here, please post an introduction to let us know a bit more about you, such as how long you have been living with HIV,  how you are doing, how the treatment is going, etc.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 05:20:20 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.