Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:04:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 420
Total: 423

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Komen Foundation caught in political mess  (Read 4774 times)

Offline bear60

Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Komen Foundation caught in political mess
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:28:16 pm »
Link to article
http://thepennsylvaniaprogressive.com/diary/3913/the-komen-controversy

Even better than that, check out what Margaret and Helen have to say:

http://margaretandhelen.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/the-race-for-respect/

And shame on the Susan G. Komen Foundation for letting some Republican nut case from Georgia convince them to start picking on Planned Parenthood.   With men like those Virginia State Legislators in the world, we women need to stick together.  The folks at Komen might want to remember that is wasn’t all that long ago that breast cancer was another one of those women’s health issues that was feared and discussed in hushed tones, as if it were shameful.  Women should be allowed to make medical decisions with their doctors and not with their politicians. Planned Parenthood is one of the largest providers of breast cancer screenings and mammogram referrals in the nation, and that asshat Karen Handel over at Komen is about to find out that Planned Parenthood is also one of the most trusted names in women’s healthcare. I surely would like to introduce Ms. Handel’s ass to my boot.  A boot, I might add, that walked in many a Komen Race for a Cure.   Now the only walking I’ll be doing is from my door to my mailbox to drop a check in the mail to Planned Parenthood.  Women turning on other women when we already have the likes of Rick Perry to deal with…  Well I never.

MtD

Online J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/377966/Susan-G.-Komen-reverses-decision-to-end-Planned-Parenthood-grants

Susan G. Komen reverses decision to end Planned Parenthood grants

Susan G. Komen for the Cure has reversed a decision to end grants to Planned Parenthood.

The latest announcement comes just days after the foundation said it would no longer give money to Planned Parenthood, creating a battle between two organizations with missions to help women.

In a statement Friday, Susan G. Komen for the Cure explained its change of heart:

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Many breast cancer survivors say Komen did the right thing reversing their decision.

"I think it's a good idea they reversed their position because it caused so much dissension and I was afraid Komen is such a good organization and this caused so much unrest among people," said Beth Barnett, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008.

For the past five years, the Komen Foundation has given Planned Parenthood hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund breast exams.

Barbara Zdravecky, the President and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida, said earlier this week she believed the change was a political move.

The foundation recently hired Karen Handel as their new Vice President. Handel has spoken out publicly against abortion and Planned Parenthood.

Zdravecky says it backfired and ended up helping them in the long run. Since the news broke, she says they have received more than $900,000 in donations.

Barnett, who is against abortion, at first supported the move to stop giving Planned Parenthood money.

Unable to have children of her own, she adopted two girls. However, now after thinking about it for a few days, she too had a change of heart and hopes by continuing to fund this group it will save more womens’ lives.

"I don't want to see a woman that can't afford to go to the doctor not get funding, so Planned Parenthood will help a girl discover if they have cancer or not," she said.

Planned Parenthood officials said the money from the Komen Foundation doesn't go to abortions.

Those officials said money from the Komen organization has helped Planned Parenthood health centers provide nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams to women, especially in rural and underserved communities.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)
cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31
cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »
Great news.  But beware the Reublicans, especially Gingrich and Santorum.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.