Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:24:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 469
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HİV1/2  (Read 14416 times)

Offline safetyy

HİV1/2
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:53:30 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am from Istanbul and ı had unprotected sex in holiday(vaginal and anal).
The elisa test ı had on the 78th day of my risky intercoures turned out to br negative. Howewer, later on ı learned that it testet only hiv 1. ı had few those risky intercouses,wich were about 7-8 months ago. if i been infected by hiv 2 before would it be detected by hiv 1 elisa test.

Best Regards

Offline RapidRod

Re: HİV1/2
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:53:28 am »
Yes the ELISA test would have detected it. You are conclusively negative.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:10:25 am »
Thank you so much for the answer,

I have 1 more qustion if you dont mind.
if the test kits were the 1st generation, would they still detect it? what is the appropriate detecting time?

Best Regards

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:28:37 am »
The window period is 4 weeks to 3 months. Most people that are infected will test postive by 6 weeks. If you took a test earlier than 3 months and received a negative result you'll need to retest at three months post exposure to obtain a conclusive test result.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 06:28:02 am »
Hi again RapidRod,

As I follow your forum, I know that the last time is 3 months apart from specific cases, and I thank you for your support to people. Since my question is a bit specific, I may not be able to express myself clearly. For clarification, I am asking about it once more, asking for your forgiveness. In order for Elisa tests testing only Hiv-1 to detect hiv-2, how long ago the person should have been infected by hiv-2? I think time is crucial for hiv 1 Elisa tests to detect hiv-2, since they test specifically hiv-1.
I dont think the test kits are 1st generation, but lets think the worst option, and regard as so, please.

Deepest Regards

Offline safetyy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:12:09 am »
I am waiting for your answers curiously and in great anxiety.
If I had the disease as hiv-2 long ago, maybe now I should be taking treatment. So your answer is important to me.

Thank You.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:38:37 am »
Andy, Ann, Rapidrop please an answer.
Sorry but i'm so anxious

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 08:41:27 am »
Your question was answered when a test can detect the antibodies and yes that means for HIV 2 also.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:43:01 am »
As long as the test is done at 13 weeks any generation will give you a reliable result including HIV-1 and 2. You're HIV negative. Stop worrying.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline safetyy

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:28:00 am »
Hi Andy,

In order for Elisa tests testing only Hiv-1 to detect hiv-2, how long ago the person should have been infected by hiv-2? I think time is crucial for hiv 1 Elisa tests to detect hiv-2, since they test specifically hiv-1.
I took only hiv 1 elisa test.

Thank you soo much...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:43:01 am »
HIV 2 has the same window as HIV-1.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:00:19 am »
Hi again,
I'd like to ask a question about an experience I had yesterday. Last night I had a protected intercourse with a girlfriend, but we had unprotected oral intercourse and kissing for 5-6 mins. And I touched her vagina for a few times, and I had a new and deep cut on my finger, so her vaginal liquid contacted with my cut finger. My friend has never had a test, so this worries me. What degree of risk do I have? Should I take   pep? I'm really serious about this, your comments are important to me. Thanks a lot.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:28 am »
Zero. You didn't finger a gal with an open wound nor would anyone let you finger them with blood gushing out of your finger.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:23 am »
But suppose the vaginal liquid had HIV and I have this wound on my finger. Although I did not put my finger in her vagina, I still touched her vagina with my wounded finger and so the liquid contacted the finger. Despite this, do I still have zero risk? Coz liquids with a virus is contacting an open wound.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:18 am »
No risk.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:38 am »
I just believe there is a risk involved cos the HIv virus infected my wound. But I believe what you say as well, but i just cant understand how there cant be any risk. Could u give me more details, pls?
Thank You.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 07:03:42 am »
The point that I dont get is when the condom breaks, there is a risk, but when a wounded finger is on the vagina, there is zero risk. Isn't it easier for the virus to infect the wound, compared to the penis. coz it isnt "outside the body" as I touched the vagina. how can this be possible? dont you think I should take a pep? My partner was really risky. She's 30, active and has never been protected so far. Pls help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:44 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 07:24:04 am »
This is the last question.
I apologize, but I'm really depressed and I cant wait for the test for 3 months. I have panic attack and I'm in deep water. You cant even imagine how much I wish you to convince me. Maybe you can give me more info to help. What about this, eh?
Best Regards..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:44 am »
safe,

Hiv can only infected a very few, very specific types of cells. These cells are found in your urethra (where you pee/cum from) and the inner lining of the foreskin (the bit that's hidden when the foreskin is folded over the head of the penis). They are not found in superficial cuts or cuts that are a few hours old.

Fingering, despite the presence of cuts, is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has EVER been infected this way and you won't be the first.

You did NOT have a risk and you don't need to test over what you've brought to us. If you test, as long as it is three months or more since the last time you had UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal INTERCOURSE, then your result will be conclusive.

Keep posting over this no-risk stuff and you WILL be given a time out.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline safetyy

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:07 am »
You helped me a great deal. Really thanks a lot.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:01:42 am »
I'm sorry, but pls reply, it's my last question.

Is there a difference between an "open wound" and a "hangnail"? Are the same types of cells involved in a bleeding hangnail? I mean, is the chance of infection the same for a wound and a bleeding hangnail?
Thank You soo much. And sorry again.

Best Regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:29 am »
safe,

It doesn't matter what type of finger wound you're worrying about - hangnails, papercuts, knife cuts, chewed fingers, chewed fingernails - IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Fingering is NOT a risk for hiv infection, no matter what details you want to add.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline safetyy

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:21 am »
Hello everyone,
Back form the timeout

I don’t intend to write very long, I hope I can summarize what I want to say.
First of all, I appreciate your assistance, THANKS SO MUCH.
However, I still have a few question marks in my mind, since I have 3 HIV + friends.
I see them from time to time, so I should know how to protect myself to have a healthy relationship with them. Why 3? ‘Coz a close friend of mine is a volunteer member of an association and I met him through the association. I was impressed by his efforts to help us. And I have the intention to carry on my friendship with him. I don’t want to allow my state of OCD to impede this.
So I want to clarify the issue of environmental surfaces and HIV in my mind.
Also, I want to learn more about the direct contact to + individuals. (excluding sex)
What CDC tells about it is quite interesting:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa35.htm
It says that the blood should be dry not to infect. It says that so far nobody has been infected as such, which is quite important, but it mentions the theoretical risk, as well. If so, I am always under a theoretical threat (at least), when I’m with my HIV + friends. That is, there is a probability, no matter what percentage the risk holds.
SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
1: In order for the virus not to transmit from an environmental surface, is it enough that its shell is damaged? Does it not matter that it is reactive or deactive? And how long does it take for the shell to be damaged?
2: If the virus comes directly from a + person, not being exposed to the environment, is the size of the wound determinative? Or do small wounds lack the necessary cells? Can you please describe the size needed? When talking about the suitability of the cell, do we mean the kinds of proteins in the cell that make the cell suitable or not?
3: When I have a big and fresh cut, if the sweat of the HIV + person contacts to my wound through direct friction, how big is the risk? If there is no risk, why not?
4: Can the virus infect through the mucosa layer in the eye – with no wounds, supposing the blood goes directly from the + person into my eyes? 
5: Does the virus stay alive in the environment for 1 minute or 30 minutes? Doctors tell different things about this issue.
By the way, I have experienced some specific events bearing risks, but there is no need to mention them now.
I love you all.
Rapid, especially your  NO RISK reply makes my brain release serotonin  and I confide in anything you say. Even when doctors say ‘there is risk’, if you say ‘no risk,’ I’ll listen to you.
But I really need scientific answers, since most of the people in the world still have prejudices about the disease. Even some doctors do. So I don’t want uninformed doctors to confuse me, since I have OCD. I’m on therapy and medication, so what I really need is information.
Thanks. Regards.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:26 am »
*QUESTION 1 = OUTER SHELL*

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:08 am »
I dont think I deserve such a response. Some info, Pls

I am sorry, its too long ı know. Some info pls.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:01 am »
safe,

1. When hiv is damaged, it cannot latch onto cells and infect. Yes, the shell must be intact. Damage to the shell happens VERY quickly. Think of the shell like the skin of a soap bubble.

2. Wound to wound transmission is rare. It will only happen if BOTH people are injured AT THE SAME TIME and the wounds are deep and profusely bleeding.

3. Sweat is NOT INFECTIOUS under any circumstances.

4. It's rare, but theoretically possible. It would have to be copious amounts of blood and unless you're in the habit of severing your friend's arteries, then you're worrying about this unnecessarily.

5. Alive is one thing, undamaged and unable to infect is another. You're just not going to become infected through hiv that is outside the body and in the environment.

Unless you're having UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse with your mates, you're worrying unnecessarily. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. These couples lived together - so these studies also show that you are NOT going to become infected through casual, everyday contact.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline safetyy

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 11:33:17 am »
THANK YOU SOO MUCH........

Offline safetyy

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 06:29:24 am »

Hi everyone,
You helped me a lot Ann.
THANKS AGAİN.

I caught something interesting in this part of the forum:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25768.0

i've learnt a lot from this.

But HİV WORKER SAİD;
HIV is a blood borne virus - produced mainly in the gut from immune cells that guard against HIV infection from things you eat.

So HIV comes into our bodies, and our bodies beat it?

Whats the meaning ?

Deepest Regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 07:55:59 am »
Safety, we are not here to conduct an ongoing seminar for you about HIV/AIDS. Generally speaking we're here to answer questions and make an informed evaluation about specific situations.

If you want to learn more about HIV there are libraries and there are institutions where you can follow up if you have a serious interest.

Andy Velez

Offline safetyy

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 08:23:42 am »
Hİ Andy,

You're definitely right, Andy, but the country I live in is teemed with subjective and incomplete information. I don't have the right to judge anybody, but our doctors are quite disinterested in the subject

The institutes told me that Hiv + blood in the environment can infect even 10 min after it is exposed to air.

Pls don't tell me to get info from institutes or hospitals, coz according to them everything is risky.

And moreover, a microbiology expert with 20-year experience told me that she knew nothing about the outer shell of the Hiv virus. Now can you understand me? Can you understand why I keep on asking you questions?
And of course I'm interested in the subject, I'm trying to inform everybody around me.

Do you know how hard it is to access to  information - accurate information about the subject in my country ? There are doctors here who tell me the test period is 12 months!
Thanks for everything. I'm grateful to you

Best regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54:50 am »
Thanks for that clarification about the circumstances in your country.

Nevertheless we are focusing here on specific situations.

As long as you consistently use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse you will be very effectively protected against sexual transmission of HIV. Other risks are really in the domain of theoretical. In the real world of HIV we know it's a very fragile virus and not transmitted through environmental surfaces and objects nor through the common everyday events of cuts, sores, bruises and such. Nor are common sexual activities such as

Use latex condoms all the time and you will be well protected. Then you won't have to be worried about your status again.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:57:20 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:40 am »
safe,

All you need to tell your friends is to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse because UNPROTECTED intercourse is how hiv is spread. It's NOT spread from environmental surfaces or fingering or getting blown. It's spread through intercourse. We've told you this repeatedly.

Forget about all this technical stuff. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection.

IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!

You're heading for your second time out - and this one will last for 56 days.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline safetyy

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:56 am »
Hi Dear Ann, Andy and Rapid

I cannot forget and don’t have the intention to forget about these technical details because neither my test results not anti-depressants helped me out, but only the technical information you told me. I mean sometimes information is above anything, even anti-depressants.

I would not be scared, even when a little cut on my hand contacted a HIV + blood directly from a + individual, since such wounds do not have the suitable cells, do they? (I should remind I have + friends)
So, this kind of information helped me a lot.

So, I think this is the final point: does HIV come into our bodies and our immune system fights against it and beat it?
Why I ask about it is the explanation that hiv worker made and I gave the link in my previous post.
You gave me the final warning for a time out, I know that, but I promise it is my last question. I will ask just questions about my specific events.  (I do not need anyway, thanks to you :) ... )

God Bless You

Best Regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 11:32:36 pm »
safe,

(I should remind I have + friends)

Big deal. I have hiv negative friends. So what? ? ? ? ?

Unless you're having UNPROTECTED INTERCOURSE with your friends, you have NOT been at risk nor will you be in future.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline safetyy

ORAL OR WHAT ?
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 07:16:28 am »
Hi everyone,

I am sorry but have to ask.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28076.0

İs this for real ?????

Offline safetyy

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 07:48:13 am »
NYC,

I Hope you get better pretty soon.

Regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:43 am »
You need to stop trolling these and other pages for ammunition with which to fuel your fears. As has been repeatedly explained to you, protecting yourself against HIV sexually is really very simple: just use condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse.

Reports of transmission in other circumstances rarely if ever hold up under careful scrutiny. So we're not going to continue a back and forth with you about this report or that one. Use those condoms everytime and you'll be fine.

You're moving in the direction of another time out.
Andy Velez

Offline safetyy

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:12 pm »
Hi again,

I had yesterday protected sex and unprotected oral sex with a sex worker.

I know all about oral, but this time was the sitation probably different.
There was reformed wans on my gland, it wasnt bleeding.
But the wound was corroded. And the color was almost red.

I couldnt see her mouth it was dark, cant say there was bood or not.
What is the risk ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline safetyy

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 06:35:59 pm »
Thanks !

Offline safetyy

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:23 am »
Dear All
Hi Again ! Well...

I find out that I have herpes 2.
Week ago ı had protected sex with 2 female sex workers.

While having sex ı had outbreaks on my penis... at the top and at the foreskin as well.
It was protectesd vaginal sex.

The case is;
During the intercourse the condom slipped till my foreskin :(
Probably the intercourse took 5 or 10 minutes, I dont know when it slipped.
The condom doesnt come out of my penis.
I just saw that, then ended the intercourse without ejeculation.

Maybe the condom was still covering the outbreak or maybe not I dont know ? Couldnt understand really.

Do I need a test ?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:38:58 am by safetyy »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:10 am »
From what you have described I would say you were not at risk for HIV. "To the foreskin" means the head of your penis and the foreskin were still covered.

From your history here in the past, you are clearly a worrier. So if you are going to go into a tailspin again over this incident, there is a simple solution. Get tested at 13 weeks and collect the inevitable negative result that I expect.

I can tell you that we are not going to indulge you in another back and forth about what ifs and maybes. Based on what you have reported I don't think you were at risk.
Andy Velez

Offline safetyy

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 10:46:24 am »
Dear Andy,

Thank you very much.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 10:55:20 am »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.