Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:09:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG GRANTS COMMITTEE  (Read 18132 times)

Offline Robert

AMG GRANTS COMMITTEE
« on: January 12, 2007, 09:29:46 pm »
This is our 3rd year of the AMG....AIDS MEDS GATHERING.  TWo years ago we held it in Toronto.  Last fall it was in Montreal.  This coming September it will be at the Russian River, about 60 miles of San Francisco. 

Each year we have had a "Grants" committee and a "Fundraising" committee, I believe (ROCKY ... or someone....correct me if I'm wrong.  The Fundraising Committee is in charge of accepting contributions for the Gathering that will allow others to attend who might not be able to afford to go.  I believe the committee is comprised of 2-3 people. 

The Grants committee distributes the funds to members who would like to go but, like I said, cannot afford it.  To be eligble to receive a grant, I believe you just merely need to let the  committee know and they'll put you down on the list.  I know Rocky (RAB) or Anne (Emeraldize) or Joe (Killefoile) can explain it better than I. 

But we do need to get into gear so the purpose of this thread is to nominate someone for these committees.

I therefore nominate:

Jan (ANNIEBC)
  Cliff
  Bailey
  Joseph (Strayboy)
  Michael (Sonomabeach)

robert

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: AMG GRANTS COMMITTEE
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:51:55 pm »
Dearest Robert

If any of the guys that you have nominated step up to the plate..I will be more than willing to be a back up and help whenever I can..but as I said my time is limited here on the forums...I'm lucky if I get 5 minutes on the computer before someone calls my name..I'm actually thinking of changing it... ;)

I think any of the four mentioned would do a great Job.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:27:50 pm »
I need more detail on the responsibilities of this committee, from someone who has done it in the past.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 03:50:50 am »
I will explain how it was done last year for AMG 06.  However, before proceeding any further, whoever will be part of this for AMG-07 would probably need to ask Peter et al for permission before starting it this time around considering all the controversy surrounding fund-raising in general and the website's involvement in particular.

1. There were 5 members of the committee: 3 voting and 2 nonvoting.  All took part in trying to get people to pledge donations intended to help out folks who wanted to attend but are financially constrained.

2. Rocky and I were the nonvoting members.  We were in charge of the money received and disbursed and appropriately accounting for them.  We were not allowed to vote who were to receive the donations.

a. I opened a checking account under my name but used Rocky's address so the bank statement went directly to him.  I was in charge of accepting the donations and sending checks out to recipients of the grants (or whoever advanced the money in behalf of the grant recipients) per approval and instructions of the voting members .  I also kept all transaction receipts (from whom the donations came and to whom the donations went).

b. Rocky was in charge of doing monthly accounting of what goes in and out of the account as he received the bank statements.  He kept those records and made public the accounting of the funds.

3. Joe, Jody and Trish were the voting members.  They were tasked to receive requests for assistance from other members and, depending on certain criteria, decide who gets assistance and how much assistance is offered.  Therefore, it is usually the case that the voting members of the grants committee at its inception would not be requesting financial assistance themselves.  There are several factors that go into this decision-making, foremost of which is how much money is available to distribute and how many people are requesting assistance.  In most situations, the recipients are asked to contribute to some of their own expenses (e.g., the grants committee pays for part of airfare and the recipient is responsible for the balance). 

4. The entire committee is tasked to keep the donors and (potential and actual) recipients anonymous.  There were some occasions in which the recipients' identity got revealed but these occurred outside of the grants committee and the grants committee always made a point to remind members during these situations to respect the anonymity rule.

5. Certain donors earmarked their donations to specific members; the grants committee was also tasked to pass on those specific donations to the member chosen by the donor, again keeping the anonymity of both.

6. As an added layer of checks and balances, all donations were received by a designated voting member (Jody) before it was forwarded to the non-voting member keeping the account (myself).  So donors had to send their checks (payable to me) to Jody and Jody sent them to me (the checks were not mailed directly to me and none of the donors knew my mailing address, except for members of the Grants Committee who also wanted to donate).  I reported back to Jody, with a copy to Rocky, that the checks were received.  For those who transferred funds electronically, Jody was the one who released the bank information to the donor to facilitate the transfer, and I reported back to Jody with a copy to Rocky that the transaction went through.

That's pretty much the gist of it unless I'm forgetting something.  There is an ending balance of $300.82 that needs to be rolled over to the next Grants Committee and I'd be glad to send that amount to the next keeper of the checkbook.

Gerry
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:01:21 pm by gerry »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 10:39:15 am »
I don't mind helping out, but I can't do much with the funds as I'm overseas.  But I don't mind helping with fund-raising or committee work.  My personal opinion is that there should be some significant continuity within the Grant Committee.  It has worked well for the past 2 two years and I would hope half of the members returned, just to ease transitional issues.  Also, whoever is in control of the funds should really be the same person or at least someone who was on the committee last year.  I would be uncomfortable donating money if the funds went to someone new this year (unless they were an AMG attending member last year).  So basically, I think Gerry should remain in his role (assuming he is willing to do it).

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:47:30 am »
Thank you Gerry,

I'm sure I will help out if needed.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:08:49 pm »
I think Michael has a good ethic of dedication, and Joseph has good organizational skills as well.
I nominate Michael and Joseph.
I would also hope that Gerry would maintain his capacity, if he is willing.

PS to add, I think Dennis is an excellent choice to help in more than just finding tidbits.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:11:00 pm by Lisa »
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
Thanks for the confidence.  I'd like to preface this by saying that it was very rewarding to be able to participate in facilitating aiding some members to join others and make the trip meaningful to them.

In the interest of transparency, I'd like to express both hope and trepidation about the tasks on hand for the next GC from my experience of the previous one.  This is not meant to discourage anyone from stepping up to the plate, but rather to facilitate advance planning and learning from previous experience.

1. As successful as last year's Grants Committee was with the generosity of the donors, the support was not entirely broad-based.  Twelve people/entities donated directly to the GC.  Furthermore, about half of the people who donated for AMG 05 were the same ones who donated to AMG 06.  There were a few more who donated directly to their intended recipients directly and those who shared rooms with others that helped tremendously.  While I don't expect everyone to agree on the intent of the inception of this committee, it would be more ideal to have a broader base of donors for this endeavor to succeed moving forward.

2. Well-meaning folks who donated airfare directly to their intended recipients sometimes created an unintended situation in which the Grants Committee had to put the recipient at the priority list for receiving help with accommodations since the non-refundable airfare has already been purchased.

3. If AM decides that no fund-raising activities will be allowed through this website, it would be even harder to tackle this task.

4. My participation in the Grants Committee was complemented by Rocky's tenacity to get things moving after the voting members have decided who to award.  He searched for the cheapest flights and booked them in behalf of the recipient and he communicated directly with the recipients.  That helped tremendously in making the limited funds reach more people.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things here, but these were the top issues that came to mind.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 04:53:14 pm »
:) I just received confirmation from Tim Horn that AMG '07 fund-raising remains permissible with the following caveat:

...fundraising for AMG '07 is permissible.  All we ask is that all messages related to AMG '07, including requests for funding and fundraising updates, be kept in the AMG Forum.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:29:15 pm »

I'd just like to clarify that AMG fundraising is the one and only exception to our "no fundraising in the forums" rule.

Thanks, :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:41:16 pm »
I'll keep the account open at this point so we can get the ball rolling.  The Grants Committee user name is also still active at this point.  What I'd like to know are the following:

1. Who would be pledging this year, what amount and if this is restricted to a specific member, or unrestricted.

2. Who would be needing assistance from the Grants Committee and what type (airfare, accommodations or both).

It would be preferrable to send this directly by PM to the Grants Committee so it can be saved in one inbox.

P.S. I changed the password to the Grants Committee username this year and cleared the PM of old messages.  If any of the members from previous years' Grants Committee would like to participate again (which is encouraged), or if any other members would like to take the lead, please send me a PM.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:51:21 pm by gerry »

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 01:22:31 pm »
As of this date, the Grants Committee expects to have $500 in carry-over balance and new pledges/donations.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 01:56:08 pm »
1. Who would be pledging this year, what amount and if this is restricted to a specific member, or unrestricted.

Thank you.

If I may, I'd like to remind people that donations (pledges) are done anonymously as far as the public forums are concerned. I wanted to point this out so people don't think Gerry wants to know publicly, in this thread or forum, who plans on pledging. Please send this information to the Grants Committee Private Message inbox. Please also read or re-read Gerry's earlier post (reply #3, points 4&5) in this thread.

I'd hate for there to be any misunderstandings where this potentially sensitive subject is concerned. Anonymity and confidentiality are very important where the grants are concerned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 04:06:45 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Ann.  Yes, that was the intent.  To send the message privately to the Grants Committee PM so anonymity is maintained, even if the donor earmarks the donation to a specific person.  Also still searching for members who will comprise the Grants Committee.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:17 pm »
Thanks Gerry, for all your work on the Grants Committee.

I nominate Jody (if he wishes to continue to participate on the committee),
Cliff, and David_NC.   Three very upstanding guys who I think all members of the forums could trust implicitly to use good judgement and compassion in making decisions about awarding Grants.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27:14 am »

Cliff, and David_NC.   Three very upstanding guys who I think all members of the forums could trust implicitly to use good judgement and compassion in making decisions about awarding Grants.

Alan

I would like to  wholeheartedly second Alan's nominations.

RAB

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 01:44:54 am »
I'm with Alan and Rocky.

Jody
Cliff
David_NC

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:33:14 pm »
Thanks for your confidence in me to nominate me...I will do the best I can.  The folks out west are doing well with the venue choices, we need their expertise, as well as Dennis.  We will work out the details I'm sure.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 06:24:58 am »
Jody, Cliff and David have expressed their willingness to be voting members of the Grants Committee.  Thanks guys.  :)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:06 am »

Alan

Alan, I think you give me too much credit!   ;)  Seriously, I'll do my best.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:07:05 pm »
Jody, Cliff and David have expressed their willingness to be voting members of the Grants Committee.  Thanks guys.  :)

That's great news.  Just a reminder, the committee still needs one additional non-voting member to replace me.  I'm certain I won't be able to assist this year.

RAB

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 12:15:53 pm »
We need one more, non-voting, member?  Well then I nominate ALAN.  As I recall he is more than familiar with counting widgets, he has the hands of a healer, the mind of a scarecrow and the heart of  the TIN MAN. 

I think he fulfills all the requirements and then some.

robert   

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Robert, I appreciate it!   I agree that I would be an excellent choice to perform the 'audit' function of the Grants Committee. ***pats self on the back here***   However, since I will probably require assistance from the Grants Committee in order to attend this year, I do not feel it is appropriate for me to participate.

The auditor in me says that we need a non-recipient of funds to do the accounting. During my years as Auditor for the GA Dept of Human Resources, I wrote many findings citing agencies for improper or non-separation of duties and responsibilities.

Do we have any volunteers?   How about you Robert?

Alan

PS - as a side note, I currently break one of my own rules on a monthly basis now, and reconcile the bank statement at my job....technically, I should not be doing this, but in a small business, you do what you have to......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 02:05:27 am »
No problem Alan.  I understand.  Well, I'll do it if I have to but I've got one more person I'm talking to.

robert

(who never realized how hard it would be to replace Rocky.  I always thought he was "easy")

Offline David_CA

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 06:05:22 am »
(who never realized how hard it would be to replace Rocky.  I always thought he was "easy")

Yeah, same here.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 12:14:24 pm »
  OK ALAN....you're on.  I accept.  Gerry, are you ready and willing with a ROCKY WANNABE?  Actually, I would be honored.  It's my turn to give to the Forum.  I've covered some pretty rough waters the last few years and don't know what I would do without all of you. 

Gerry....let's talk.

robert

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »
 ;D

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:08 am »
Robert:

I got your PM.  Thanks for volunteering to become the 5th member of the grants committee (non-voting, keeper of the books).

Gerry
 :)

Offline Grants Committee

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 03:55:25 pm »
Hello All,

For AMG 07, the Grants Committee will consist of the following members:

Voting members (in charge of deciding which requestor gets assistance and in what form): Cliff, David_NC, Jody

Non-voting members: Robert (in charge of receiving bank statements and reporting deposits/withdrawals/balances); Gerry (still in charge of keeping the account)

Any changes within the Grants Committee will be announced publicly.

As of this date, the Grants Committee has about $500 in pledges/donations (including rolled-over balance from AMG 06).

For those who want to pledge, please send a PM to the Grants Committee.  Thank you in advance.

Grants Committee 07

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.