Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:02:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 144
Total: 145

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Precum on pimple & PEP treatment  (Read 12148 times)

Offline greekwise

Precum on pimple & PEP treatment
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:43:29 pm »
Hi. I am a 32 year old male. Early this morning I engaged in foreplay (no penetration or oral sex) with my HIV+ partner. His precum rubbed on my buttocks on which there was a pimple I had scratched an hour before while in the shower. I am concerned over this even and am considering if I was placed at any risk for HIV transmission through that sort of contact. Please advise. Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Precum on pimple & PEP treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:54:46 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted in that manner.

The ONLY confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms consistently for those activities and you will be well protected.

No need for testing over this incident.
Andy Velez

Offline greekwise

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »
Thank you for the prompt response and the information provided. Very grateful.
anthony

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:00:19 pm »
You're welcome, Anthony.

On with your life...
Andy Velez

Offline greekwise

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 05:11:25 am »
Thank you for all the work you do!
I've yet another concern. Yesterday morning my poz partner began rubbing his penis in my anal area and I had shaved an hour before in the shower. Later on at night, I noticed a small shaving cut which produced a small tiny amount of blood when I applied pressure. I am concerned that the precum he produced may have rubbed itself into the cut when he was applying pressure into the skin/cut leading to infection. Does this exposure warrant PEP? Also, if there is any literature which I can be directed to for education. Once again, thank you.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 05:29:00 am »
Thank you for all the work you do!
I've yet another concern. Yesterday morning my poz partner began rubbing his penis in my anal area and I had shaved an hour before in the shower. Later on at night, I noticed a small shaving cut which produced a small tiny amount of blood when I applied pressure. I am concerned that the precum he produced may have rubbed itself into the cut when he was applying pressure into the skin/cut leading to infection. Does this exposure warrant PEP? Also, if there is any literature which I can be directed to for education. Once again, thank you.

No Greek, this isn't a risk situation. HIV is transmitted via unprotected anal and vaginal sex, by sharing contaminated injecting equipment such as needles and syringes and in some cases from HIV positive mother to her unborn or nursing infant.

It is NOT transmitted by getting pre-cum on a tiny cut. Not even if that tiny cut is on or near your man pussy.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our lessons on HIV transmission.

MtD

Offline greekwise

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:51:21 pm »
Thank you for responding MTD.

Offline greekwise

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
Out of curiousity...even if cuts bleed and precum gets rubbed into them, there are no risks?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:07 pm »
Greek,

No risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greekwise

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »
Thank you Ann.
Anthony

Offline greekwise

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »
Hi. I am wondering if anal secretions outside of the body...on a small fingernail cut can pose any risk? Also, at beginning of relationship unknowingly to us both my poz partner performed oral sex on me while being positive for syphilis. Any risk there? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 09:33:25 pm »
Hi. I am wondering if anal secretions outside of the body...on a small fingernail cut can pose any risk? Also, at beginning of relationship unknowingly to us both my poz partner performed oral sex on me while being positive for syphilis. Any risk there? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

As Rodney notes, HIV cannot replicate outside of it's host. Anal secretions outside of the body do not pose a risk.

As for syphilis, we cannot answer your questions. We are an HIV specific website and do not provide advice on STDs other than HIV. You should consult a physician about that.

MtD

Offline greekwise

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 03:07:39 am »
Thank you both. I was more worried about anal secretions than precum getting inside my cut as I had read. That higher concentrations of hiv, even more so than in blood, are found in anal secretions. I am somewhat comforted and will have to wrestle with irrationality on this matter. Thank you once again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 08:03:25 am »
Greek,

While we don't normally go into specifics about other STIs, I will say that if you've been exposed to syphilis, you need to be tested for syphilis. Syphilis is MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv and only requires skin to skin contact with a syphilis sore or rash.

As the sores (chancres) that primary syphilis produces are painless, they often go unnoticed. Syphilis shares a three month window testing period for a conclusive negative result.

Syphilis aside, you have NOT had a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greekwise

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »
Deeply appreciated Ann. Thank you.
Anthony

Offline greekwise

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:02 pm »
This morning my poz partner was performing oral sex on me without a condom, including deep throat.  After we finished, I noticed I had a couple of lacerations/cuts below the head of my penis possibly from his teeth rubbing on the skin. Am I at risk? Is this an exposure that would warrant PEP? Thank you.

Offline greekwise

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:14:42 pm »
Forgot to add that my partner's viral load is undetectable and cd4 in the 700 range on medication for one month.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 01:57:10 pm »
Receiving oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of transmission to a guy through his getting a blowjob. It's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first, even with a pimple or a sore on your penis.

You are worrying needlessly. There is no need for further concern.

The only confirmed means of transmission sexually are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you and your partner consistently use condoms for intercourse you will be well protected. It really is that simple.

Andy Velez

Offline greekwise

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 04:30:14 pm »
Thank you Andy.

Offline greekwise

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »
I was wondering  if i could get some ideas over an incident this morning. I was attempting to bottom for my bf who is hiv + but on ART and undetectable. The condom broke and im not sure but i think the head of his penis may have been inside me and he does precum at times. Would this warrant Post exposure prophylaxis? Thank you you in advance for responses.
A

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »
I cannot believe you had to post on a forum and ask that question.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »
Greek,

No. His viral load is undetectable and you're more likely to find a bag full of money lying on your doorstep tomorrow morning than you are to end up positive over this brief incident. You'd be wise to test, but as the negative partner of a positive person you should be testing periodically anyway.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greekwise

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »
Dear Ann,

Thank you for your response. Greatly appreciated.
Rapid...forgive me if I have offended you. Certainly not my intention.
-greek

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
Greek,

You're welcome. While a wee bit of anxiety is understandable, the situation certainly does not warrant PEP.

Please make sure you two are using condoms correctly so you don't have these scares going forward. Make sure you both read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

The two leading causes of condom breakage are....

1. Not making sure there is no air bubble in the tip, particularly when using condoms with a reservoir tip because they're more prone to developing a bubble while putting them on. Pinch the tip as you roll it down and then give it a stroke from tip to base, while looking at the tip. If there's air, you'll see it when you do this. If there IS air, simply roll it back up and start again.

This incident you're worried about sounds like it was caused by an air bubble. Think of trying to force a balloon through a small hole - it's gonna pop.

When he's topping you, you can do the "stroke test" yourself before he enters you to make sure there is no air bubble. It only takes a second to do and will save you hours of uncertainty.

2. Not using enough lube, particularly for anal. Even if you're using pre-lubed condoms, you need to be using plenty of water-based lube.

You can also do your bit with lube when he's topping you. You can be the one who lubes him up and you can do the "stroke test" while you're doing this. Use these two actions as part of your fore-play repertoire.

As I said yesterday, as the negative partner of a positive person, you should be testing periodically. Provided you're not getting into the habit of having full-on unprotected intercourse, you can fully expect your tests to come back negative. I had a negative partner for over eight years and his always came back negative - because we used condoms consistently.

Don't sweat this brief incident. His undetectable status will protect you in a situation like this.

Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:50:53 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greekwise

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 01:31:45 pm »
Hey guys, needing some insight on an issue. This morning i was engaging in frottage:rubbing the head of my penis on my partners anus. Precum acted as lube and for about 3 seconds the head of my penis sort of slipped in. As mentioned before, my partner is undetectable. I am uncircumcised. Should i proceed with prophylaxis? Thank you in advance.
Anthony

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:13 pm »
If you are sure that it was only that brief then I would say PEP is unnecessary.

Given that it was a single and very brief incident and that he is undetectable this "dipping" incident hardly qualifies as a risk. You can if you wish get tested at 3 months just for your peace of mind to confirm with what I expect will be a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline greekwise

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »
Greatly appreciated. Thanks Andy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »
You're welcome. I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.