Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:52:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 681
Total: 682

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Little Pink & White Pills (ughh!)  (Read 10053 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Little Pink & White Pills (ughh!)
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:47:28 pm »
Can anyone relate to this or am I weird or paranoid, etc.? I look at an apple and it's obvious - it's an apple. A tree is a tree, a dog is a dog, etc.. But I look at my HAART pills and sometimes my mind thinks "WTF *ARE* these things?!? They look so man-made, so artificial/scientific. Little pink and white du-dads"

I must admit (although it's not ever severe), there are times when paranoia enters the picture against the powers that be, e.g., the drug makers, or the government. See, I was never big into Western drugs ...but I know these little pills are helping my health. But what else are they doing?? They're so new. I think the root of my discomfort is that I can't plainly see what are in these pills, you know, what they "are"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:57:20 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Little Pink & White Pills (ughh!)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:05:25 pm »
"Goodies" - and whats the alternative here?

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:49:42 am »
I'm not someone who is anti-big pharma. I personally think that "western" drugs are simply an evolution of what the ancient tribal medicine man prescribed.  One thing I always do when I get a new prescription is find out what the drug is made of and what it does inside my body. I'm a little obsessive-compulsive about it. You can get information from WebMD or MedicineNet.com. I also look at the complete prescribing info on the Pharmaceutical Company's website. I have to warn you though, it can read like gibberish to the non-medical types. (How I wish I paid attention in high school chemistry!) 

For the HIV-related drugs, I found the info here on this website to be amazing. When I was dealing with the side affects of Kaletra and Combivir, it sort of helped me get through it when I thought in terms of what was happening- i.e., the nukes are preventing hiv from completing one process and the protease inhibitor are catching those little vermin on the other end. Maybe it is simple-minded of me to think of it like that, but it worked when i needed it.
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:07:51 am »
(sigh)  :-X okaaaaaay, yes, the pills are our friends..... I just get those "moments" ... perhaps it's because I had envisioned a painful uphill struggle for me against HIV and thats so turned out not to be the case, so I'm like, okaaaayyyy??? - where's the "catch"? a la "it seems too good to be true", expecting something unpleasant to enter the picture - i know, i know, it's stupid. sorry. thanks

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:11:51 am »
I personally think that "western" drugs are simply an evolution of what the ancient tribal medicine man prescribed. 

Well, there's some hard truth to that, from what I was told. Someone once told me one of his pharma meds (I can't remember his condition or the specific med) was derived from the foxglove flower

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
Well, there's some hard truth to that, from what I was told. Someone once told me one of his pharma meds (I can't remember his condition or the specific med) was derived from the foxglove flower

That will be digitalis, which is the name of the genus that includes foxglove and is also the name of the heart medication derived from foxglove. I believe it's classed as a cardiac stimulant.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:25 pm »
(Digitalis) Digoxin is used to treat congestive heart failure and the associated symptoms of shortness of breath when lying flat, wheezing, and ankle swelling. Digoxin is also used to slow heart rate in rapid atrial rhythm disturbances such as atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. It's commonly refered to as a water pill.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »
I thought it was diuretics, such as Lasix(furosemide),commonly used to control high blood pressure, that are referred to as "water pills". 

Oleander and Lily-of-the-Valley also contain cardiac gylcosides, so you can extract digoxin from them as well.

-Whizzer

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:40:56 pm »
thx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:00:16 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
I am not sure exactly which pill you are referring to, but these pills aren't some evil conspiracy awful things. They are extremely specific, made to target HIV virus in many different ways disrupting their function. To go more detail into the science behind it is complicated since you need to have a firm grasp on the the ways DNAs and viral replication works, but I trust it. As for the side effects, I guess the researchers can't be 100 perfect.
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »
Why would someone resurrect a six year old thread on an internet forum? Seriously.

This goes beyond mere zombie-ism. We need a new word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shmmCGki3zw
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »
And the OP hasn't posted on here since 2009.

Something from the Resident Evil-verse seems appropriate.
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »
oops
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.