Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:16:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773194
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 267
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Terpie's update...  (Read 4223 times)

Offline terpie82

Terpie's update...
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:49:27 pm »
My dearest family,
First, I want to apologize for my long period of inactivity since coming back from Montreal in the summer. After Montreal, I directed all my energy into my teaching and preparing for the exam I had this morning. The most important exam in my 20-year academic career began this morning at 10 AM and lasted 3 hours and involved an oral exam given by 6 faculty members. I had on THREE good-luck charms in my left breast pocket during the exam which included:
1) a Chinese fortune I got from a cookie that read "You will be successful in everything"
2) a religious necklace given to me by my parents
and 3) a trinket given to me by Trish in Montreal that had an angel on one side and read "Always with you" on the opposite side.

So the result is I passed with flying colors. I actually started balling in front of the committee when they told me the news, but I'm extremely elated to say that I'm officially now a PhD Candidate.

The 2nd update is that I have been blessed to have a significant other to help me through the last few crazy days of preparing for the exam. But I will admit that everyone here has been on my mind and in my prayers the last few months since Montreal, and everyone was in the exam room with me this morning because Trish's trinket reminded me so. Zephyr, Lisa, Robert, Trish & John, Ric & Thom, Moffie, RAB, Cliff, Basquo, Danny, I love you all and miss you dearly (if I left out any names, I apologize for being brain dead at the moment but I love you a ton too). I can't wait until we meet again next time so that I give you all bear hugs again.

Always,
Terpie
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline DanKenny

Re: Terpie's update...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:31:34 pm »
Terpie...

Congrats...

I remember that feeling of admission to candidacy rather well...that was not too long ago.  You need to take a deep breadth now, and move on to the dissertation stage. What's your discipline...?  Well, take care, work hard, and get the damn PhD behind you --- remember it is not the smartest who complete, but the determined....it can be done.

take care - DK
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline terpie82

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:39:16 pm »
Thanks DK. There are no words to describe how I feel right now. My discipline is plant genetics and my verbose & pretentious proposal title was: Characterizing LUG, LUH, & SEU As Mediators of the ABA and SA Signaling Pathways. &$%!!!...I'm beginning to forget what those acronyms stand for now. And I definitely agree with the smartest part because I'm definitely not :o*
-Terpie
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:08 pm »
Dear Terpie/Minh

Congratulations and welcome back !!! I have wondered about you often, knowing that this was crunch time in your academic life. I'm so glad that you have a partner to see you through all this and share your life with.

I will always remember fondly your kindness, generosity, humor and compassion as you helped me through my last visit at NIH for their LTNP study. You were heroic, especially after my cancelled flight to get back home. I also think back to our lovely meal out at the Vietnamsese restaurant in Bethesda on that balmy summer evening with you, Loreen, my partner, Boy his partner. What a great night !!

Take good care and visit us here more often as you get time.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:08 pm »
congratulations Minh!!!!!  I'm glad things worked out for you.  I was wondering what happened to you, so it's nice to get a report.  Keep us posted on how things go and don't be such a stranger.

Hoping to see you again in Cali!!!

Cliff
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:40:44 pm by Cliff »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:47:13 pm »
MInh,

Wow! Congratulations on the candidacy and all the hard work I know you did preparing for it.

I was looking over some of the Montreal photos the other day and thought of you. I had thought of starting a thread to see if anyone had heard from you.

Now, I won't have to. I am so happy for you, both for the candidacy and the new special someone in your life.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:38 pm »
Congratulations Minh!   It's great to hear from you.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:27:48 pm »
Congrats Minh!

One step closer to Dr. Minh!  Glad to see you posting on here again.  Keep up the good work and try not to overstress on the dissertation.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:40:19 am »
Congratulatiions. It was good to meet you in Montreal and what a tremendous commitment you've undertaken. Best of luck (more than you already had in your pocket?) to you as you move forward. Em

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:16:48 pm »
  HEY MINH!!!

I missed this.  And I've missed you. 
  I am so happy for you.  Congratulations.  I can just see you crying at your orals.  I mean, you were bawling your head off in Montreal and Ms Lisa just had to grab ahold of you real tight.  Too bad she wasn't there for your exams.

So you passed!  Does this mean you'll be out here in Oakland this fall?  I'm looking forward to your lecture.

robert

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 12:21:33 pm »
Hi Soon-to-be Dr. Minh,

Really good to hear from you and how you're getting through my faculty advisor called "the insults of passage."

Wishing you the best,
Andy Velez

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 12:47:12 pm »
Warmest congratulations!
How increditbly exciting for you. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 12:54:56 pm »
Minh

I didn't see this thread until just now.  It's great to hear that so many good things are happening for you.  (A significant other?  Hmm)

Preparing for the exam must have been exhausting, both physically and emotionally.  All that hard work has paid off though.  Congratulations Dr. Minh.   ;D

RAB

Offline Jody

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 01:00:24 pm »
Great to hear from you again Minh and congrats on your accomplishments...Hope to see you in California come September !!!!

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 01:02:18 pm »
Sweetest Minh,

This deserves not only a big kiss , but also the fact that, yet another member of our family found the strenght to go on, in spite of HIV.

I am so proud of you, as are all the others.

And ... good luck and happiness with your significant other

hermie
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:23:29 pm by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 01:09:18 pm »
Thanks dtw, hermie (yes I chose to go full speed ahead and if HIV can catch up with me, good for it --if not, eat my dust you viral piece of s*&$), Jody, and RAB. Oh, and an update on the significant other...I'm sorry (actually, not really sorry at all) to say that it fizzled out to be the shortest lived relationship I've ever had. I guess I've learned from it that I'm one of the toughest person to live with, being so meticulous, clean, and organized and if that drives the guy nuts, I'm not ashamed to say "there's the door". Thanks emeraldize, Lou-ah-vull, Alan, Mark (yep, I'll be on here more often now so there won't be any missing persons report ;-D), Cliff, & Paul. Suddenly, I am transported back to Montreal with you all and to that week with Paul, his partner and Zephyr. Such great memories.

Hey Robert,
Thanks. I was waiting to hear from you. Yes, I was a total mess when leaving Montreal so you can imagine what I was like after the exam. If Lisa was there, I probably would have been pounding the floor with my fists and screaming, in addition to the tears haha. This year's Ryan White National Youth Conference has been merged with the Staying Alive conference and the site has been moved to Cleveland, Ohio. I'm also afraid after next Sunday, I will no longer be considered a "youth" based on their standards so my participation would be contingent upon me presenting and having my own funds to cover airfare and housing. So it looks like you won't be seeing me in action anytime soon. I will have to make a trip out there to CA sometime though to visit you and Zephyr down south, and I will definitely try to make it to this year's AMG. Keep in touch though Robert :-*

Andy, it is required that family members refer to me as Minh or Terpie or Cute boy or Minhie Me...basically anything but Dr. Minh from now until forever, haha. That's reserved for the other people. It's like how I don't address you as President Andy or Your Majesty the Andy after all you've done in leading and fighting for those of us affected by the virus.

Cheers & luv to all,
Terpie
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.