Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:03:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 468
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How do i "snap out of it" when i have a bad day ?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Movingon

How do i "snap out of it" when i have a bad day ?
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:08:21 am »
Hey All

I am trying to get on with my life , 5 weeks after being diagnosed. I find myself having one good day, one bad day, and so on ....

Even little stuff , like hearing a song , or looking at my wedding pictures, or talking to my brother on the phone etc can set me off and bring me back to exactly where i dont want to be - miserable, suicidal, lost, scared and just damb right PISSED off.

How do you experienced ones, old timers, or people who have lived with this for a year or so pick yourselves up when you have a bad moment ?

I have READ so much and done loads of research, probably too much if i am honest, and i just find it all too overwhelming. I am told that being diagnosed in 2007 and being in my early 30s , healthy, in good shape, physically fit etc ..gives me a good chance of living a normal life span. But right now i have to admit that it sure doesn't feel like it, and a normal life span with this shit on my mind seems like an awfully long and winding road ahead, and frankly its a road that i am not sure if i can be botherd too even walk

The other thing i am worried about if my wife. She tested negative and we are very careful, but we both know that she will have to be tested again in 3 months from now, and probably every year or so for the rest of our lives. How the f**k would we handle it if she were to test positive ? This just all seems like too much for me / us to handle and frankly i feel like just throwing in the towel and being done with it all

Strangely enough, i feel great, fit and strong. Being aware of ones healthy certainly does make me feel better, its just this constant reminder of the fact that i am hiv positive. Every mirror i pass, i look in it. Every reflection i have in a shop window, i look. Every morning i wake up and have a shave, i just feel like putting my first through the mirror !! I feel hatred, dirty, scared but most of all, i feel that what i have done to myself, my wife, and my family is unforgivable.

I am sure most , if not all of you have gone through what i am going through, but HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT ?

This morning at work and yesterday in the gym, some of my friends commented on my weight and said i look a million dollars. True, i used to be a fat bastard, weighing in at around 250 pounds. I tried to slim down on purpose for a year or 2, then testing postive made me evaluate my life. Also, i have slighty high cholesterol so i have been in the gym every day, eating great, swimming , walking, changed my diet and get loads of sleep. I am happy to be looking great, and i think my hard work is paying off, but i am also fearful this weight loss (now weighing 224 pounds, lost about 6 pounds in 3 weeks) is due to the HIV and not my life changes. I am sure i am being paranoid. Its just weird , 2 months ago i would have been delighted with my friends comments about how good i look, but now knowing i am postive, these friendly comments from friends just make me shit myself.

cheers

Thanks for listening

Offline lucas clay

Re: How do i "snap out of it" when i have a bad day ?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:02:56 am »
You just have to go day by day. and i dont know if it gets any easier.
It has not for me.My wife is negitive also, but every test is hell waiting for her results.
So far so good after 2 years. use those condoms my friend.

Fell free to pm me anytime

Lucas

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:18:53 am »
How do I snap out of it when I have a bad day?
There are so many ways and means that I've tried. Many are successful. You discover them as you live your life.
One of the foolproof approaches: I think of a young child in a cancer ward. Laying there in bed scared and hurting at such an early stage of life. I think of how that child is in pain, nausea and sick beyond what I've ever dealt with in my life. I have suffered nothing in comparison.
xxx,
Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:40:28 am »
Just give yourself time.  You're new to this and you're going to have those kind of days when you want to put your fist through your mirror. 

This forum is a great support network.  The people on here are the greatest; I'm so glad I found this place as I'm sure you will be. 

If I have a bad day, sometimes I make a gratitude list.  I think about other people's problems and know I'm not the only one who has desperate moments.  It helps to know you're not alone, I think.

Hope things go better-
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:10:52 am »
First of all, living with HIV is still very new for you. So you need to give yourself some time to get adjusted to it. It takes time (and some work) but it will happen. And you may always have "a bad day." It's just a part of the territory.

Feelings come and feelings go. Sometimes if you're really down you may find making a mental list (or writing it) of things you're grateful for in your life interrupts the depressive wiring circuit. It's amazing sometimes how effective it can be. Really.

As far as your weight loss is concerned, it sounds to me like you're probably taking better care of yourself now. And as long as you are being monitored regularly by your doctor I don't see any cause for concern. Should your weight continue inexplicably to drop then I would say a call to your doc is in order to discuss it.   

Give yourself some leeway with your emotions. They come and they go, often changing from second to second. You're always welcome here to talk about whatever is on your mind and to ask questions.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:44:39 am »
I highly recommend printing out Tendai's thread and read it every time you have a not too special day.  Surely helps me to read this kind of story, knowing that it involves someone in our AM family and nothing we can do about it. 

Hope this helps,
Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:15:20 pm »
C...  "Fake it till you make it"...  You will, give yourself some credit where credit is due...  Everytime you go down that Fucked up path, stop going, you know where that one leads.  Try beleiving what people are telling you..

Hugs,

Eric

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 11:00:12 pm »
I would also re-iterate that time often helps your mind wrap itself around the shock and anxiety that comes with diagnosis and put the negative feelings into persepctive.

You cand do it -- just give yourself time to sort it all out...

:)

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Movingon

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 03:41:38 am »
what is Tendais thread ??

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 06:05:01 am »
Lostnscared,

Try to keep things in perspective. This is all new to you. Trying to absorb the oceans of information out there (and some of it is wrong) will only leave you drowning. You probably find it confusing as much as you do frightening. Give yourself time to adjust to your new reality. You are not going to get sick and drop dead tomorrow.

"I feel hatred, dirty, scared but most of all, i feel that what i have done to myself, my wife, and my family is unforgivable."

Could this have anything to do with why you are being so hard on yourself? I’d suggest you look into that with professional help before the guilt eats you alive.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.