Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:05:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 604
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stomach issues, need ideas.  (Read 8494 times)

Offline konkrypton

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Pan/Satyr Lover
Stomach issues, need ideas.
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »
I have had digestive issues including irritable bowel syndrome for a long time and I'm currently taking Prilosec/omeprazole twice a day and compazine as needed for nausea. I started a gym membership in Jan. 2013 after finishing rehab for my second hip replacement, as my leg was weak from the cutting of the muscle. Last month I had a bad case of what turned out to be viral gastroenteritis, aka "stomach flu." Since then, I seem to have more bouts of nausea at inconvenient moments and today I had to cancel a trip to the gym due to nausea. Often it takes getting gas out of my stomach before the nausea clears up.

I have cut back from 3 times/week to 1 or 2 times a week for workouts, and fear I'm wasting both my time and money if I can't go more often. I'm frustrated and isolated (I'm also taking care of my elderly dad) and feel like I can't accomplish the things I set out to do. I'm "sick and tired of being sick and tired," if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have the same digestive problems and have you found a way of dealing with them? Any ideas appreciated.
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Stomach issues, need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:55:32 am »
Hi It,s not like for like but here is my  condensed version. This started 20 years ago. During chemo therapy for Hodgkin Lynphoma I became very badly constipated.A cycle off constipation , induced evacuation began .I did not resume a normal pattern off emptying my bowels until one year after I had finshed chemo.

From finishing this chemo I regularly had urine infections, which would occur if I became constipated. On average it would take up to 6 weeks to resume a easy to live with balance. I used senocot , fresh figs, prune juice , Kiwi fruit and vital walking to attain balance.

In 2002 I needed chemo treatment again for HL, the above returned but with greater frequency , debilitating impact and length off time from initial problem to regaining a comfortable balance.

The explanation that makes most sense to me is from ward chemo nurse,s , Oncologist , Physiotherapists and HIV Doc.

The chemo has damaged my nerve systems, so the usual sensations off getting rid off waste is only apparent to me when I really need to. Constipation is an on going hazard due to the hydromorphine I take for the nerve damage , constipation leads to pee infections , treatment, I am allergic to penicillin is with Trmethoprim 400mg twice a day 7days. This is the high end off dosage. I have to force myself to eat during the anti-bee treatment , appetite returning 48 after finishing. Then I have to WAKE UP a sluggish ,sleepy bowell /digestive system with food senocot and walking .

I am currently enjoying a returning balance after a wee infection.

I think I avoid a lot off problems by attention to diet ,walking limited use off hydromorphine , but my body is permanently damaged from two bouts off chemo and other infections that have required hospital stays and heavy duty antibiotic treatments . So its an on going part off my life to be managed to the best off my abilities.

You will find the various ingredients /actions that provide you with the best balance possable and then these issue,s if not a thing off the past will be less frequent and debilitating. Talk to your medical support group as I sure you do , the above did not happen in one conversation its the condensed experience off the last 20 years. Hope this is helpful , I am off to eat fruit and walk.

I completely understand being sick and tired off being sick and tired , its just beats the alternative of sick and in Hospital and that other one , dead.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:55:22 pm »
Different experience but sort of same situation since about 20. So that's 35 years of "where's the nearest bathroom." I can't remember what all has been done to try to alleviate my problem but one thing I've been doing for the past few months is when I have to go out I simply stroll. I do not let myself hurry anywhere. My reasoning being rushing brings on stress, stress brings on "the problem." and then "the problem" creates more stress. So by strolling I hope to lower stress. I'm also working on that in other areas. Not letting things bother me. Whatever they might be...just smile, if possible, and realize whatever is happening will pass and then your life will continue on. Of course, being 55 helps achieve that state of mind.

Might not work for you but so far things have been a lot better. Still have "the problem" but it seems to wait now till I'm near a bathroom to make an appearance as opposed to before it would hit when no where near facilities. I'll take whatever improvement I can get.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:30:58 am »
Thanks, guys. It helps to know I'm not alone.

I'm not having as much problem as you are, Theyer, but I appreciate your situation.

LongTime, I'm at 26 years later this year (Oct.), and will hit the half-way point next year, where I've been poz half my life.

Last year I lost my best friend from high school, and I'm finding I'm depressed also, which isn't helping. I may need to re-visit my psych doc and see about either more counseling or some more anti-depressants. I hate them, though, as they mess with my sex life (what there is of it).

KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline charlie4136

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:12:20 pm »
Check out kerfir-it aids in indigestion by adding good bacteria to your gut.  I was
on protonix for gerd and after drinking kerfir, I no longer take protonix. You must
give it a couple of weeks to take affect.

Offline deibster

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:25 am »
Hello Krypton,
You didn't mention what hiv medications you are taking. I had abdominal cramps for a couple of years and got fed up with it. My ID doc had a CAT scan done and then another one, nothing was found to be wrong. Same with an endoscopy & colonoscopy; Prilosec for gastric reflux but nothing to cause almost daily cramps.

After another year, I was taken off of Kaletra, to help with my Lipodystrophy, and the cramps disappeared within a few days. So, a change in your med regimen might help.
Hugs from Provincetown, Deibster
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline guitargal

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:55 pm »
i agree with deibster… and eat yogurt everyday...
What a long strange trip it's been

Offline donna2008

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
Working for me: Aloe Vera gel straight from leaf blended with O.J.. = instant energy, and if I'm not imagining things stabilizes my stomach problems. No promises try for yourself. I've only been poz 10 years. But I found method on internet. I know it's weird but I eat a teaspoon of green tea leaves. I just started but it's helps overall. Right know my tells are only 710 though
Viral Load <20 undetectable / tcells 710

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:24 am »
Thanks all, sorry I've been gone so long. I appreciate the suggestions, and take them all as good ideas. I'd love a change in regimen, but my virus is resistant to a LOT of meds at this point, so as long as this regimen is keeping it suppressed, I suppose I shouldn't just toss it aside.

The diabetes doesn't help, either. It kind of makes me eat ever couple of hours, so I can't just let my  digestive system calm down by not using it. I do eat yogurt frequently, but perhaps the probiotics are a good idea too. I'll give it a try.

Hope you are all having a great summer!  :)
KK
--

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:58 am »
Hey KK,

I went though something very similar to this for years. They checked almost everything.

The very last thing they tried was a test for gluten intolerance and celiac disease.

You guessed it.

I have now been gluten free for nearly 15 years. The difference for me was night and day.

The constant diarrhea, the cramping, bloating etc., all subsided within days of changing my diet.

I don't know if you have been screened for this, but if not, it might be worth a shot.

HUGS.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:37 pm »
Thanks, Mark. I've wondered if it could be celiac disease but haven't been tested for it. I'll ask my doctor.
KK
--

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:24:52 pm »
Dexilant and Xanax works the best to deal with stomach issues...
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline konkrypton

• Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 01:21:58 am »
Just a post-script:

After talking with my primary doc, my HIV doc, and my diabetes doc, we were able to weed out some drugs I no longer needed, changed to extended release Metformin for my diabetes, and switched from norvir/ prezista to prescobix. We also stopped the oral pain meds and went to a patch. All of which helped. I still have acid stomach at times, but feel much better than I did. It really took getting my docs to communicate to solve the problem. Thanks for your ideas and support!
KK
--

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.