Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:27:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 295
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 267
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any Bodybuilders here?  (Read 10860 times)

Offline Ehecatl

• Facebook Page
Any Bodybuilders here?
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:31:30 am »
Thanks to my psychologist I have found that working on my body is helping me overcome the HIV stigma I inflict on myself. I started at 185lbs 15% BMI and am now down to 158lbs 9% BMI. I have tried my best to read all I can about the subject but would like to hear from anyone who is a active lifter or bodybuilder. I go in tomorrow to the doctor to get my labs. I hope that my supplements don't create any issues for me. I am taking BCAA shots, protein powder, thermogenic supplement, and multivitamins while I eat a paleo diet focusing on a 40-40-20 protein, fat, carb ratio. Cant wait to hear from y'all!
To be a positive influence on peoples lives. Help out and inspire individuals wanting to improve.

Offline Delby

Re: Any Bodybuilders here?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:48:27 am »
Keeping fit whether it be bodybuilding, boxing, running, soccer - whatever your choice of sport, is extremely important to the well being for people with or without HIV. I train 6 days a week. I play soccer, boxing, football, weightlifting and i'm fitter and stronger than a lot of my HIV negative piers.

Don't put a ceiling on your fitness. Just because you now have HIV, this shouldn't prevent you from doing anything you wish. Exercise in any form, has untold physical and mental health benefits that make it a necessity to healthy living.

I eat about 150g of protein a day. Whilst I like paleo, i don't like the way they discount so many forms of carbs such as sweet potatoes. Carbs are extremely important for cell function and general health. Plus if you want to add muscle, you need carbs. I tend to eat mine post workout, by carb back loading. I take 1 protein shake post workout, multivitamins, Vitamin D3 (5,000IU), fish oils and follow a healthy and balanced diet. There are moments where I splurge and I eat what I like including chocolate, pizza etc. But that's part of living.

Everything in moderation, including moderation!

Go for it, train hard and enjoy!

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:28 am »
One word of advice, if you injure yourself, no matter how minor, don't continue to do any exercise that exacerbates the injury.  Stop immediately, especially if you might have a soft tissue tear that will heal back together on its own if you act accordingly.

I know because I've done it all wrong over the past 32 years, and am now going through what looks like a 3 - 6 month rest/rehab for elbow problems that I ignored for months and continued to work out on.  I thought I could get away with it since I was working out only on the weekend, but the injury gradually got worse so I had to stop all upper body exercises. 

Sounds like I'm the opposite of you.  You're losing weight when you work out.  I gain weight.  I lose weight when I don't work out.  By the end of my "rest and rehab" period, I'll be a walking stick man.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:59:56 am by MitchMiller »

Offline glamourpuss

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »
Hi Yall!

Hope this is not a guy only question  :P. I usually workout 5-6 days a week, strict regimen working major muscle groups twice  a week. On one day I will left heavy, low rep,  and the next high rep, lighter weights. (I also dont work the same muscles back to back).  I do HIIT twice a week depending on how I feel for my cardio and it really helps with toning.

As for my diet; I eat healthy, mostly protein, complex carbs, nuts etc. Minimal processed foods, no fried foods. Water, no juice. The only supplement I take is Whey Protein after my workouts as it helps with muscle recovery.

I started my meds two weeks ago and I haven't been to the gym since as the side effects are really wearing me down and I can't get much done with the nausea and fatigue.  :(.

I am hoping things subside pretty soon as I can feel my gains slipping away. I am 5ft tall 115lbs BF 18%. My aim is to enter my first competition next year. Let's see how it goes.

Did anyone have that problem? Where your meds had an impact on trying to live a healthy lifestyle?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »
I'm thinking this is more of a questions about treatments and side effects question ... If you do not settle in with the meds and in the next two weeks I would suggest talking to your doctor about making some changes . A month is time enough to know if your combo needs tweaking or changed . I'm wishing you the best and I will move this into your own thread if you like ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline glamourpuss

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
I'm thinking this is more of a questions about treatments and side effects question ... If you do not settle in with the meds and in the next two weeks I would suggest talking to your doctor about making some changes . A month is time enough to know if your combo needs tweaking or changed . I'm wishing you the best and I will move this into your own thread if you like ?

No Thanks Jeff! Sorry for the confusion (not double posting) was more posting under the topic abut body building. I posted in the sideeffects forum a few days ago. Waiting out the next few weeks as suggested to talk to my doc again.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »
I think its awesome that working out is helping you with your internal stigma.  I worked out pretty regularly before HIV but after I tested positive I also spent more time and energy in the gym.  I work out about 5-6 days a week and have a personal trainer I see once a week.  I agree with you that it has helped with self esteem and even how you view yourself as having HIV.  More power to you and good job!

I don't take any supplements beyond a protein shake after I work out and an energy drink before/while working out so i can't really say if the ones your taking will affect your labs.  I would be specifically careful if you are taking Creatine though.  If you are, at least tell your doctor you are.  From what I understand it can affect your kidney labs and HIV and HIV meds also fuck with your kidneys...just be careful with it.

If you want to share a particular workout or are ever in Seattle and need a spotter get in touch.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Delby

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
  I would be specifically careful if you are taking Creatine though.  If you are, at least tell your doctor you are.  From what I understand it can affect your kidney labs and HIV and HIV meds also fuck with your kidneys...just be careful with it.

I'm not sure that is true. Where did you hear that? I know creatine can affect your kidneys, but as long as you have it monitored every 6 months then taking creatine is absolutely fine. I have never heard of creatine affecting HIV or HIV meds. Do you have evidence or a report that suggests this?

If you do take creatine, make sure you take 'creapure' which is the purest form of creatine on the market.

Delby

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »
Here is a question and answer about Creatine posed to Dr. Gallant.  Like I said previously...."if you do take Creatine at least make sure you tell your doctor about it."  Whether or not you take it is your choice.

Question
Hey Dr Gallant. I've been hiv positive for about 5years. I was initially on Atripla, now on Complera. I've been undetectable since starting meds and have been doing well. I'm 38 years old and in pretty good health (HIV not withstanding). I workout a lot and would like your opinion on workout supplements. What are your opinions on protein, creatine, and gluatamine specifically?
Answer

At reasonable doses, protein supplements are generally safe.

I discourage the use of creatine, especially in people taking tenofovir (Viread, Atripla, Stribild, Complera). Creatine can increase the creatinine—a marker of kidney toxicity—and may increase the risk of tenofovir-related kidney damage.

At reasonable doses glutamine is probably safe, but they say it should be avoided in people with liver disease, seizure disorders, or bipolar disorder.

http://hivforum.tumblr.com/search/Creatine

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »
The last time I used creatine I bought bsn cell mass.  It wrecked my stomach.  $50 for diareha in a jar.   Do you use creatine? Do you have any luck with it?  I guess I've never had a good experience with it either.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.