Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Connecticut Governor to Eliminate All State Funding for ADAP  (Read 6687 times)

Offline edfu

Connecticut Governor to Eliminate All State Funding for ADAP
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »
BREAKING NEWS

They said it wouldn't and couldn't happen here, but....

Newly elected Connecticut Governor Dannel [sic] Malloy, the first (ironically) Democratic governor of the state in 20 years, released his proposed budget yesterday, and it eliminates ALL state funding of ADAP.  No wait lists, no change in income qualifications, no change in formulary--just no state funding period.  Since ADAP is funded by the federal government (if the Republicans in Washington let it) and the state government, it would appear that Connecticut could be the first state, I believe, to have NO ADAP program whatsoever.  Nada.  From The Connecticut Mirror:

"The budget also eliminates state funding for the Connecticut AIDS Drug Assistance Program, which supplements federal funding to cover the cost of antiretroviral drugs and drugs that prevent infections related to HIV and AIDS. The administration said the state money--$606,678 a year--is not necessary because of the available federal dollars, and said many people served by the program are now eligible for the new Medicaid program for low-income adults.

"But Shawn M. Lang, director of public policy for the Connecticut AIDS Resource Coalition, said the change could leave some people who rely on the program without coverage. The drug assistance program covers people up to 400 percent of the poverty level, well beyond the Medicaid income limit. The program also helps some people who have private insurance that does not cover AIDS medication.

"'That is of grave concern to us for the state to completely eliminate their investment in a program that saves people's lives," Lang said. Noting Malloy's pledges not to shred the safety net, she added, 'That's a significant tear in the safety net for people with AIDS.'"

I've been trying to find out since yesterday what "the available federal dollars" refers to but with no luck.  Since I (barely) don't qualify for Medicaid with my  age-related Social Security, and the Big Pharma assistance programs can't be used with Medicare Part D, I--and many others, I'm sure--may be in very serious trouble.

No one here expected this, and we supported and voted for Malloy.   Most of the media here have not really begun to cover this issue yet, because their main concern so far has been the increases in various taxes.   I suspect this could become national news, because, as far as I know, it's the first time a state has attempted to defund their state ADAP 100%.  If I'm wrong, please let me know.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Connecticut Governor to Eliminate All State Funding for ADAP
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:23:30 pm »
I suspect this could become national news, because, as far as I know, it's the first time a state has attempted to defund their state ADAP 100%.  If I'm wrong, please let me know.   
SC tried to defund ADAP, HIV prevention, childhood inoculations, restaurant and nursing home inspections to name just a few programs when they were voting on FY2010. They tried again when voting on FY2011 (which starts in April). Both times last minute reprieves (that I like to believe where helped by two rallies on vote days on the steps of the state capital bldg in Columbia) stopped this disaster. Also the VA governor proposed just a month or two ago to defund all of ADAP and let Medicaid and the pharmaceuticals continue to pick up the slack. This is the same strategy the VA government is already using as it stopped all further ADAP enrollment and is going to dis-enroll over 760 people. (And, of course, Florida's ADAP program is bankrupt, which isn't all that much different from being defunded.)

Welcome to the growing crowd of states, Connecticut  ::)
Sounds like time to start some rallies up there too. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:31 pm »
BREAKING NEWS

They said it wouldn't and couldn't happen here, but....

Newly elected Connecticut Governor Dannel [sic] Malloy, the first (ironically) Democratic governor of the state in 20 years, released his proposed budget yesterday, and it eliminates ALL state funding of ADAP.  No wait lists, no change in income qualifications, no change in formulary--just no state funding period.  Since ADAP is funded by the federal government (if the Republicans in Washington let it) and the state government, it would appear that Connecticut could be the first state, I believe, to have NO ADAP program whatsoever.  

This bad azz may not know how awful disease is AIDS to human beings.  How on earth a public elected official take such a cruel measures against its own people.  He is not less than President Sadam Hussien of Iraq who has brutally murdered his people.  I feel like it is a death sentence on the citizens of Connecticut.  Whose wellbeing he is standing for.  Just sorry and hope he will be responsible for.  How can he let people die on the street where there are life saving medicines available in the country.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:11:20 pm by metekrop »
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »
These ADAP cuts, threatened and to come, at the state level, across the country, seem like political power plays about budgets. Its immoral to make people live in fear, or even be cut from medicine, for such ends. 

Since Obama care is coming on line in these coming years, I wonder how exactly this shakes out -- which government is responsible for which costs?  I feared years of uncertainty, and it seems to be coming true. 
I don't feel like state governments want people to suffer and die - but do believe that strapped states are willing to take risks, such as some hurt, to get what they need.

Its probably going to be in so many areas - education, too, police, environment, etc etc.  Unless tax receipts are going to improve. 

But regarding us, HIV+, its just dire news, isn't it? 

Leatherman proposes the only response possible - protest, advocacy, activism, etc.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.