Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:16:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 190
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: URGENT: My dad has HIV of CD4 20! Need advise!  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Jeremiah

URGENT: My dad has HIV of CD4 20! Need advise!
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:29 am »
Hi all,
       Yesterday, my 56 years old dad was diagnosed with HIV of CD4 of 20, which I believe is very low. He have been losing a lot of weight and sleeps a lot recently. His next appointment is 2weeks from now. Just afraid in 2weeks many might happen, hence this urgent post. By the way his doctor given him 3 medicine named VIREAD, EPIVIR and STOCRIN. Are they going to work fine?

I desperately need advise for what should he do? Should he excercise.. if yes how? What type diet and meals should he adopt? And please advise on the intake of vitamins and minerals?(Example: Vit C 1000 mg, etc etc).. Please indicate if I miss any thing out. Im so lost and have no idea what to do. Please do help me as soon as possible. Thank you.

PS: Im a newbie in HIV, I only started learning about it today. If anything I should know, please do so.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: URGENT: My dad has HIV of CD4 20! Need advise!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:40 am »
Hi all,
       Yesterday, my 56 years old dad was diagnosed with HIV of CD4 of 20, which I believe is very low. He have been losing a lot of weight and sleeps a lot recently. His next appointment is 2weeks from now. Just afraid in 2weeks many might happen, hence this urgent post. By the way his doctor given him 3 medicine named VIREAD, EPIVIR and STOCRIN. Are they going to work fine?

I desperately need advise for what should he do? Should he excercise.. if yes how? What type diet and meals should he adopt? And please advise on the intake of vitamins and minerals?(Example: Vit C 1000 mg, etc etc).. Please indicate if I miss any thing out. Im so lost and have no idea what to do. Please do help me as soon as possible. Thank you.

PS: Im a newbie in HIV, I only started learning about it today. If anything I should know, please do so.

Chill babe. :)

If your dad takes his pills, he will be fine.

20 CD4 cells is very low but if Pa is diligent in his therapy that count will shoot right back up.

There really is no vitamin/mineral regime that will make any difference to his HIV. As for diet, he should eat a normal balanced diet. Rather than fussing about such things, find out if Pa is taking prophylactic medications like Bactrim and Fluconazole. These will protect him from nasty infections whilst he waits for his immune system to come back on line.

Most of all:

Keep Calm and Carry On.

There's no need for a fuss.

MtD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:15:11 am »
Hi Jeremiah,

Matty's advice is good and if you've not visited the tab above "About HIV/AIDS" you might wish to do so to add to your learning.

One of the best things you can do for your dad (and yourself) is let life go on as normal in your house---whatever that normal is.

What a lucky parent he is to have a thoughtful child---that is medicine money can't buy.

Em

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »
You're dad should be fine. We have several members on here who started with CD4's below 100 and they are doing very well today.

Make sure dad takes his meds diligently.

Also, as MTD states he needs to be on some type of prophylctic meds to prevent infections. Do you know if he has been prescribed any of these? If not you need to get these asap.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »
Hi Jeremiah

It's great that you are taking care of your dad.  Lots of us here have had low tcell counts and gotten better -- I didn't get diagnosed until I was already in the hospital with pneumonia, but I'm quite healthy today.  I was almost age 50, with a tcell count of 22.  You can see how I did in my signature line.

The most important thing your dad can do is to take his meds, including medicines to make sure he doesn't get pneumonia or other diseases. 

If you want to read up on HIV, check out the lessons Emeraldize referred to.  In case you can't find them easily in the tabs, here's a link
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Introduction_4702.shtml

Welcome to the forums,

Assurbanipal

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:18:16 am »
Hi there.

Thank you all for the reply. Talking about  Prophylctic meds, Is co-trimoxazole one of that? And regarding normal balanced diet, anyone mind sharing theirs? Or is that a food list of what to be eaten and avoided? Anyway, Im very much convinced my dad will get better after reading so much from this forum.  Thanks all ! :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:48 am »
Hi there.

Thank you all for the reply. Talking about  Prophylctic meds, Is co-trimoxazole one of that? And regarding normal balanced diet, anyone mind sharing theirs? Or is that a food list of what to be eaten and avoided? Anyway, Im very much convinced my dad will get better after reading so much from this forum.  Thanks all ! :)

1) yes co-trimoxazole is a prophylactic medication used to prevent pneumocystis pneumonia, a primary opportunistic infection associated with AIDS

2) normal balanced diet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_diet
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:48:17 am »
jeremiah, first i think its great that you are so supportive, more than anything else you do that is most important imo. and yes, co-trimoxazole prophylaxis is standard care.

http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/plhiv/ctx/en/

a normal diet just means normal for me, no list involved except the menu. he may find some foods no longer agree him; due to hiv or the meds. cross those bridges as you come on them. he's got nowhere to go but up, and everything will improve incrementally.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »
Jeremiah,

First welcome to the Boards.

I also agree with what others have said.

Providing the support to your father will boost his well-being and prove immensely helpful. He should also be absolutely diligent in following the doctor's instructions and taking his medications. He should be fine.

Additionally, I want to commend you for your concern and care for your father.  You are a wonderful child.

And finally, I am a 27 year HIV positive survivor who when diagnosed had a CD4 count less than 80. I am now 58. So please know that hope can match reality for survival.

Take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:13 am »
Hi Jeremiah

Hope your father is doing well. Glad to hear he is on co-trimoxazole; it is often referred to on the forums here as Bactrim (one of the names it is sold under).  I was on it after I got out of the hospital and it kept me from another pneumonia bout.

I was thinking about your question about nutrition and supplements.  In your dad's case he might want to ask his doctor if it would make sense to take a vitamin D supplement and, if he doesn't get much calcium in his diet through milk or other sources, a calcium supplement.

That's to protect his bone health.

There's been a lot of studies about problems with bone health (osteporosis) with HIV and many of them seem to point a finger at insufficent levels of vitamin D. And then when you are on Bactrim you are supposed to limit your sun exposure to avoid getting a rash -- but that tends to reduce the amount of natural vitamin D you take in as well.

Bone health also seems to worsen with long untreated HIV and with older age.  And for some reason, the process of starting to heal your immune system by starting HAART may further mess up the way your body uses vitamin D to protect your bones too.

So. based on his age, his  low tcells, the fact he is on Bactrim and that he is just starting meds, a vitamin D pill and perhaps some calcium might be a good thing. But have him talk it over with his doctor -- the internet is a great source of ideas to talk over with your doctor, but it isn't a great idea to just act on them without a discussion.

Best
A

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.