Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:55:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: condom split and have herpes  (Read 5623 times)

Offline dave1979

condom split and have herpes
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »
hey,

I have herpes and recently had sex with a prostitute where the condom split.  It seemed to be only split down the side I think and not at the top.  Maybe only slightly at the top but not sure.

If the lady had HIV, what are the increases of getting HIV if I have herpes? 

She did say she had been tested recently and it was negative, I think I believed her.  SHe was cautious throughout the time.

I had a HIV scare before and was very suicidal.  I suffer regularily from depression (dad is bipolar), so find it hard to deal with certain things.

thanks for your time.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: condom split and have herpes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:57 pm »
Let's deal with the basic risk issue first.

You were protected up until the condom split. Given that the risk of transmission from female to male during vaginal sex is very low, I reckon you've got an excellent chance of testing negative 3 months from the date of this encounter. And test you should because, no matter how slight, a risk is a risk.

As for issue of herpes increasing the likelihood of HIV infection, well that's a bit of a vexed issue. Opinions on that are divided. It would only be relevant if you were experiencing an outbreak at the time you were having sex.

So, I reckon that you should be tested but it's really just a formality. I expect that you will test negative and so should you.

Perhaps you need to review your condom use to ensure they don't break in future.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »
Matty has touched all of the major points with you. I agree that your risk level was very low. If you find that waiting 3 months is hard to do, you can do an initial test at 6 weeks after the risk.

Assuming you test negative at that point as we expect you will, the likelihood is very strong that you will again test negative for a final result at 3 months/13 weeks.

Andy Velez

Offline dave1979

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:27:28 pm »
thanks matty and andy, it was her condom and seemed looser than the ones I would use usually.  I haven't had sex for 2 years due to a bad past experience and wasn't planning on that night, sometimes these things can't be helped.

Offline dave1979

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »
What do you think of this test?

1 HIV Duo Test or HIV 28 Day Test - includes HIV p24 antigen.

The HIV antibody/p24 antigen Duo Test is an excellent, accurate and inexpensive HIV test that reliably detects HIV infection that occurred just 28 days prior to the test. This HIV test is known as the 'Duo' because it tests for both HIV antibodies as well as the 'HIV P24 antigen'. The HIV p24 antigen is a core HIV viral protein which becomes detectable at approximately 10 days post exposure, peaks at 16 days or so and then remains at high level for 8 to 10 weeks post exposure. It will then fluctuate over the rest of the course of the illness. HIV p24 antigen is extremely useful in combination with an HIV antibody test in determining early on whether an individiual has been infected with HIV. The HIV DUO test is extremely accurate at 28 days and is now the test recommended by the new UK Guidelines on HIV testing 2008.

We send a small blood sample to our laboratory and the results are usually available in a few hours. The cost of this HIV test is £125 (all inclusive ). The HIV DUO test including p24 antigen is rated as 99.8% accurate.

For more Detailed Information on the HIV DUO test please click the links below

Offline dave1979

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:08:58 pm »
sorry to be a pain, is this test 99.8% accurate after 28 days or are they just trying to get my money?

thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »
Honestly, I would venture that the latter is the case. This way you would buy three tests, one every month, until the window period ends.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
Ultimately no matter what your earlier test results are, when there has been a risk only a negative at 13 weeks is considered the final result to rely upon.

Obviously people do test earlier in many cases to relieve their anxiety. And a negative at 6 weeks or beyond is unlikely to change at 13 weeks to positive.
Andy Velez

Offline dave1979

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:12:56 pm »
ok, thanks.

I just wondered if this was a different type of test to the one you get done at 6 and 12 weeks.

I am going to make an appointment for next tuesday with the local hospital, so I can discuss it then.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
Nothing exists that will give you an absolutely reliable result before 13 weeks. You can test earlier just for peace of mind but you still need to get tested for a final result at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline dave1979

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »
Hi,

I have been showing some early symptoms.  I have been having sharp headaches and a saw throat, I know this could be anything, but it is the duration of it that worries me, it has been from Day 5 to present day (day 14).  I have never had a headache before, so this is worrying that it has lasted 9 days.  I don't think it is stress / anxiety either, as I have suffered from both in the past and didn't get these sharp headaches.

I am thinking that I should try prepare for the worse, rather than it being a shock if I do test poz.  any advice on this?

thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:32:19 pm by dave1979 »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:55 pm »
I think you should prepare yourself for a negative result. Can't guarantee it, but I'm yet to see anyone who's posted here test positive following a busted rubber risk.

And I've been answering questions in this place fo 5 years.

Headaches and sore throats are caused by all manner of things and for this reason your symptoms cannot be considered to be particular to anything. Only your 13 week test result will give you the answer you need.

Seriously, stop asking us about symptoms. We cannot help you with those. If you feel ill you should ask your doctor.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »
None of those are HIV specific symptoms. We continue to expect you to test negative as your risk was minimal.

If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

There really isn't anything more we can say at this point. At the end of the day I expect you will come out of this ok, your fears notwithstanding.
Andy Velez

Offline dave1979

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:00:51 pm »
ok thanks, yeah I shouldn't bang on about symptoms.

I just needed to vent a bit.

thanks for your time and help.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.