Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:09:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Help with my story pls need some advice  (Read 15310 times)

Offline MaxGB

Help with my story pls need some advice
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:36 am »
In December I had very high risk exposure, unprotected vag/anal/menstural sex, a couple weeks later-currently started getting symptoms like: my right groin node turned dark, rash, Hairy Leukoplakia, mouth ulcers, thrush, swollen gums, nausea, weight loss, muscle/joint pains, muscle spasms/twitching, neck pains, headache, teeth marks on my tongue and now my hair and nails have just stopped growing! Are these suggestive of early symptoms? Could it of caused another major related problem so fast?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello all high risk looking for help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
Max, nothing you are reporting symptomatically is HIV-specific. But then you need to know for now and for the future that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time will give you have answer reliably.

For a conclusive negative result you need to test at 13 weeks after the most recent risky incident. But you can test initially at 6 weeks past the incident. If you test negative at that point, and you are now more than 6 weeks past the December incident, then a negative is a good indication that you will continue to test negative. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. (The average time to seroconversion is 22 days.)

It is significantly harder to transmit the virus from woman to man than the other way round. Also it would seem that this was a one-time incident. Those factors work in your favor against transmission having occured. But it was unquestionably a risky incident so you need to learn from this experience. Now and in the future whenever you have vaginal or anal intercourse you always need to be wearing a condom. No exceptions and no excuses. Condoms provide very effective protection.

So you can do your initial testing anytime now. 

Your symptoms can be caused by any number of problems not HIV-related. You will need to discuss them with your doctor. We cannot diagnose anything in this setting.

Good luck with your test. l
Andy Velez

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
What about the rash, Hairy Leukoplakia, mouth ulcers and thrush, arent those all early symptoms?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:31 am »
Max,

Those sorts of problems could be caused by any number of things besides hiv and no, they are not particularly symptoms associated with early hiv infection.

The only way to accurately know your hiv status is through testing at the appropriate time, as Andy has told you.

You need to learn from this incident no matter what your hiv status turns out to be. Here's what you need to know...

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:27 am »
So if i tested today lets say 70 days, the results still wouldnt matter Id have to wait 90 days?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:26:31 am »
Any negative test result at 6 weeks or more is more than encouraging. All but the smallest number of those who will seroconvert will have done so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure.

So a negative at  70 days would be a very strong indication that you would again test negative at 13 weeks. And just to be sure of the negative result you would need to re-test at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:40 pm »
Ok, 70 days is 10 weeks and 13 weeks would be 91 days right?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »
Yes.
Andy Velez

Offline MaxGB

Autoimmune disease and testing
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:19:57 pm »
Would an Autoimmune disease effect any oral/blood rapid testing such as orasure or oraquick?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Autoimmune disease and testing
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »
Max,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

An autoimmune disease can sometimes cause a false positive result on an antibody test. However, the false positive will be discovered when the confirmatory Western Blot test is run.

Any positive antibody test must be confirmed with a positive Western Blot test before the person is diagnosed with hiv.

If you have an autoimmune disease, you may want to let the person doing your testing know, so they will know they need to have the Western Blot result before assuming you're positive. They should be doing this anyway, but sometimes a patient will be told they are positive before the additional testing is done. It isn't right that this happens, but it does happen.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »
Would it matter if the autoimmune desause was caused by an early infection? My exposure was in December ive had symptoms since then, do you think it will effect the test if I were to go today?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »
Max,

Hiv does not cause autoimmune disease. If you have hiv AND and autoimmune disease, you'll test positive on both the antibody and the Western Blot test

You need to understand that autoimmune disease does not ALWAYS cause false positive results - it only happens occasionally. Pregnancy can also occasionally cause false positive results. So can other things - this is why any positive antibody test MUST be backed up with a positive Western Blot test.

The earliest you should test is at (or after) six weeks as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this point. A negative result at (or after) six weeks is highly unlikely to change but must be confirmed at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 06:03:16 pm »
I wanted to know what you thought about this article, whats your opinion on it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12848988

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
Max,

What about it? It has no bearing on whether you test hiv positive or hiv negative.

Get off the internet and go get busy with other things until it's time for you to test. We're not here to hold your hand or interpret every obscure study you come across.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »
Ok, but its no coincedince that after high risk exposure I have oral hary leukoplakia wich is specific to hiv especialy during acute stage so all I can do now is pray

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
Would a 90 day rapid test be conclusive?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »
Stop self-diagnosing your symptoms. It's bad for your health, no kidding.

And yes, a negative at 90 days would be conclusive. 
Andy Velez

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:12 pm »
Does Hepatitis C interfere with the rapid tests?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »
No, it doesn't.
Andy Velez

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »
1 Is it possible to for someone to develope antibodys outside the 3 month window period?
2 Is late seroconversion possible?
3 Can test results change after 3 months?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »
1 Is it possible to for someone to develope antibodys outside the 3 month window period?
2 Is late seroconversion possible?
3 Can test results change after 3 months?

A very tiny proportion of people may take longer than 90 days to test positive. This applies to some people who have had certain sorts of chemotherapy for cancer, some people on immune suppressing medications following organ transplants and some long term (+20 years) injection drug users.

Presumably none of these categories can be applied to you.

Please be aware that we will not indulge every "what if?" scenario you manage to concoct.

MtD

Offline MaxGB

Help with my story pls need some advice
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 09:30:03 am »
I met a girl from a dating website in mid July, we texted for a while and decided to meet up, on July 22nd she came over and we had unprotected sex twice that day, the next day July 23rd she cam over agian and we had unprotected sex twice again the same day, she came over July 28th and we had unprotected sex once that night, the next morning we both went down together to get tested and got a free rapid oraquick test, my questions are can I trust those results? Could we both be in the window period? Do I need to retest? The next day she went to the Dr and was diagnosed with a swollen lymph node on the right side of her neck, could she of been seroconverting during the time of the test? Would it of showed up on the test if she was? PLEASE HELP, Thank You

Offline RapidRod

Re: Help with my story pls need some advice
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:04 am »
Your test will be conclusive 3 months post your last unprotected sex.

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25:16 am »
So the test we took together doesnt realy mean anything?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:31:55 am »
Max,

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different. Please get with the program!

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Why are you still having unprotected intercourse? You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

You need to test at three months for a conclusive result concerning your latest incidents of unprotected intercourse.

Don't forget to get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

So the test we took together doesnt realy mean anything?

No, it does not really mean anything. Re-read what I said above (which I was typing while you were posting). You're supposed to get tested at least three months AFTER you have become a monogamous couple, BEFORE you stop using condoms. You need to get this concept through your head.

Yes, you could both be the window period. Re-read your entire thread to remind yourself what we've already told you about hiv testing and hiv testing window periods.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 11:09:05 am »
Thanks Ann, after reading your last post I have a question, if her lymphnode was swollen from seroconversion would it of showed up on that test?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:18 am »
Max,

Not necessarily. Lymph nodes can swell for all sorts of reasons. If they are swelling because of very early initial infection, she would not necessarily have enough antibodies yet to produce a reactive (positive or "nearly" positive aka inconclusive) result.

You need to stop putting the cart before the horse and only stop using condoms when you're in a committed relationship where you've both tested negative together once you and your relationship are outside the window period.

The bottom line here is that you need to test at three months for a conclusive result. You can test at six weeks as has already been discussed in this thread. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change but still must be confirmed at the three month point.

You could have saved yourself all this worry and waiting-to-test by simply using condoms. I suggest you buy some and start USING them.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »
Thank you but is there any test anyone can reccomend that can be taken sooner?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:21 am »
Max,

No, there are no tests that we would recommend other than the standard antibody tests. That's all you need.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline MaxGB

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:10 am »
Would a test 7 weeks from the initial exposure/6 weeks from the last exposure mean anything in this situation?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:54 am »
Max,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.