Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:11:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone using Windows 8?  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Anyone using Windows 8?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading our media computer to W8.  It's a decent machine but a little sluggish and from what I read, W8 can breath new life into many PCs.  We run IBMC mainly when using the machine.

Anyone have any experience with Windows 8?

Thanks,

Joe
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:10:05 pm by killfoile »

Offline buginme2

Re: Anyone using Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »
Make sure you back up your data to an external hard drive.  I have had 2 friends upgrade to windows 8 and both lost data.  Otherwise, havent heard anything negative. 

One of my friends said that if your computer isnt touch screen windows 8 is a little odd using a mouse, but my other friend doesnt agree. 

Which system are you using now? Windows 7 is soooo stable that I am hesitant upgrading to 8. 

I just noticed Microsoft ended their Windows 8 promotion.  Its now $199.00 to upgrade (it was like $39.99).  Unless you are expecting major improvements is it really worth the money?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:46:58 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:02:28 pm »
I just bought this not long ago and I love it .
 http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-vivo-tab-rt/4505-3126_7-35477938.html
It runs Windows 8 and and has a touch screen , I rather like it . I agree with Bugs that it probably isn't the same experience without the touch screen .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »
Joe,

I personally don't have experience with windows 8, but I've been curious about it. However, I might suggest to you, that you run the Microsoft Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

By downloading this .EXE, it will scan and do a check of your computer, to see what might or might not be compatible with 8.

You can get the tool here:

You will want to click on" Can my PC run windows 8?"  It will then ask you to save a file, titled windows 8 upgrade-assistant .exe    Once the file is saved open it, and let it do it's thing.  You may want to save it to the desktop. It will check all you drivers and peripherals, to make sure all is compatible. Make sure your printers scanners are on. it will give you a report at the end.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:01:52 pm »
I guess I should have added more information.  My bad.  I'm a computer tech by trade so I've gone through the Microsoft hoops and I grabbed a few upgrades before the price change.  Also, I grabbed 2 upgrade coupons to add Windows Media Center (which is now an option?), so the cost is already covered.

We have 4 computers, all W7 and with only two upgrades I was looking for actual experience with the OS.  From what I have read it's not that hard to use W8 with a keyboard/mouse, you just tweak the UI a bit.

I'm more interested in whether the new OS will handle the demands of IBMC.  It's just a pig and when it works right, it's great, but not so much on our current machine.

Joe

Forgot to add the PC is a Dell tower, with a decent cpu and 4G of RAM.  Video was on the chip, with no HDMI, so I dropped in a old NVIDIA video card from my last gaming PC into it.  The audio is pitiful so I swapped in a Creative Xtreme Soundblaster card as well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:11:53 pm by killfoile »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »
Joe, I use 8 at the office and after a little time I like it. Going from the Start screen to the main screen gets touchy. It's right by the browser. I run office 365 on it and I love it. Get use to running the search to find everything like your control panel. Make sure when you setup you get rid of half the crap you'll never use. Closing screens in neat too put the curser up at the top click pull down and close it. You'll like it. There are some really good tutorials that will make it a breeze for you. If you are running a wireless network it is really simple to setup with window 8. You might want to put a close button  on your main page too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:03:07 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:23 pm »
Thanks Rod for the information.  The new GUI doesn't scare me so I might as well do it.  Did you upgrade from W7?  Any problems?  Did you lose any data?

Thanks

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
Yes on one I up graded and the other came with windows 8. I ran the compatibility file to make sure I wouldn't have any problems and I didn't.  Once you switch be ready for some updates. All your window 7 programs will run on windows 8 but in compatible mode but when you save them after edit they will be compliant.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:09:14 am »
I was curious about getting the new windows phone with windows 8, but I'm not sure i want to go there yet with my phone.  This lady at my work loves it, but you don't get the variety of apps and such like you do with Iphone or Android.

I have Samsung galaxy 2 and am about to upgrade I'm thinking to the galaxy note II i know its big, but I love it.

I have a Dell computer and just got a brochure with the new windows 8 touch screen computers.  I have to say from the way they look I like it a lot, but would definitely want touch screen

Dell has a store in one of the malls here in Dallas I'm going to 'test drive' it this weekend and see how it is before i shell out the dough.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline darryaz

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:22 pm »
It seems pretty similar to Windows 7, although the Start menu takes a bit of getting used to.

I've upgraded 2 PC's and it installed pretty much seamlessly for me.  (Yes, I did have a backup just in case!!)

I agree with previous comments that it's intended for touch screen PC's and it IS really nice if you have one (my new laptop has a touch screen).  But I don't have any difficulties using the mouse with Windows 8.

I took advantage of the $39.99 deal they had a while back.  Not sure if I would've spent $199 for the changes I see.  Windows 7 still functions perfectly well.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:33:31 pm »
I am really interested in the 128gb Microsoft Surface Pro tablet that went on sale today (and quickly sold out).

Huge storage for a tablet, blows away my Ipad.  It runs the full version of Windows 8 and can pretty much run any program that you can run on a regular PC.  Shows how far behind my Ipad is.   AND its $999.  Finally a tablet you can actually do some work with instead of just looking at poz.com and playing Angry Birds.

Apple is quickly becoming the new Microsoft.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:36:11 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline darryaz

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »
I am really interested in the 128gb Microsoft Surface Pro tablet that went on sale today (and quickly sold out).

You might also check out the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga.  That's what I bought for a nice laptop/tablet combo.

And it's right around $1000 as well.

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 02:54:54 pm »
Wow I must be real behind the times, I'm still deciding if I want to upgrade to 7. 

My brother told me I would have to backup all my pictures and stuff so I don't lose it, it just seems like more of a hassle then anything  ;D

michelle, (apparently the not so computer geek one).
 8)

How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline randym431

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
First off, Im a mac guy and will remain so, but my nerd-side drew me to get an HP W8 touch screen machine for... well... just for?
And after using my HP W8 touch screen for a couple months now, I can state I still know practically nothing when it comes to W8.
From all that I can tell, MS just made stuff harder to find. Harder to do.
I can do the few things I regularly need to do with this HP W8 machine, but beyond that I have not a clue.
Plus... W8 is pretty unnecessary without a touch screen, that is for sure.
With W8, I would like to know how to completely close down an open application, for one thing?
Or know how to determine what applications are still running in the background, so I might totally close them down? No idea on that.
Or how to simply jump between two or more open-active applications?

With the old W7, all your open apps showed in the task bar at the bottom.
Now? No bar.
Just one of my irritating W8 features.

I don't like the idea of any os making things more difficult, and for the why?
Sure, one could google the hows and how-to's for finding all the answers, but really?
Why make that necessary?

As for MCE, W8 does not come with MCE (media-center) any longer.
One can upgrade for another $70 from W8 to W8-Pro, to get MCE.
But there again, if I understand correctly, even after the upgrade to "Pro", one still must pay extra for the MCE add-on app itself.
W8-Pro simply upgrades W8 to the "ability to run" MCE. Pro is not MCE in itself.
I could be wrong here, but that is what I understand.
W8 pro upgrade is one cost, and then adding MCE still another additional cost.

MS was offering the MCE upgrade application for W8 pro machines, for free, but I believe that FREE offer ended as of January 31 2013.

Im not necessarily discouraging anyone from W8, Im just saying W8 is not W7.
For all I know, W8 could be easier than previous windows to operate?
I just haven't seen that the case, having been quite familiar with W7.

I did have an issue with my new HP machine that I contacted HP tech over.
He needed to have remote access to fix the issue.
After agreeing to allow his remote access, he then could fully control my HP machine.
What I noticed as I watched the screen in action from his remote access, this tech was flying around in the W8 environment. Getting into places I never would know how to do myself. Switching between screens and apps.
So obviously, W8 can be quite productive if and when one knows all the tricks.
Which I probably never will.

Or... you could always get one of the new super-thin 27" iMacs.
That is, after taking out a second mortgage or selling your first born. :D
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »
Ok, this isn't about Windows 8, but I didn't have anywhere to share this.  I've discovered Google Goggles.  There has been artwork I've taken pix of, that I liked.  It can pull up the artist and where to buy.  As most know, it can give you info about a lot of things.

I am posting this, because I am so impressed by it.  I can't believe I am so excited by an app.  I took the pic below off the TV, to share on Facebook.  As soon as I took it, Google Goggles immediately recognized the graph, and took me to the Dept of Health and Human Services report on this.  I didn't catch what agency that did the study on the news program.  They did not give a reference.  So, I was going to have to search for it, if not for Goggles.  Anyway, I thought it was very cool.  I think it is cool how we now have programs that can recognize who is in a photo.  So, every time you take a pic, it already knows who the person is, and you can search your photo files by name of the person. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.