Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 335
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Extremely worried- not sleeping  (Read 13847 times)

Offline WorriedZA

Extremely worried- not sleeping
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:31:11 pm »
Hi all,

thanks for reading....

Two nights ago I have vaginal and anal sex with a female of unknown status.

Used a condom the entire time with the anal sex. The condom did however break during vaginal intercourse.

Wouldnt have been unprotected for more than 2-3 min.

What is my risk? Assuming she is positive?

Thanks again

WorriedZA

Offline WorriedZA

Re: Extremely worried- not sleeping
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:32:30 pm »
Just to add....

Today I am feeling like am gettign the flu... coughing blocked nose etc....

thanks!

Offline bat_boy_0411

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:57:20 pm »
dude you're screwed! LMAO, no just kidding.

First the facts:

Unprotected sexual intercourse with a confirmed HIV+ person chance is 5 to 10000 or 1 in 2000. wearing a condom decrease the risk for about 10 fold. So wearing a condom and broke is better odds compared to not wearing at all.

So relax! an HIV test in 3 months or 13-14 weeks will reveal your status.

next time buy a realible condom. :)

Offline bat_boy_0411

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:00:34 pm »
Just to add....

Today I am feeling like am gettign the flu... coughing blocked nose etc....

thanks!

you'll not have ARS that fast. it will take weeks.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 04:56:34 am »
Thank you for your reply.....

Anybody like to or can add anything else?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 05:03:34 am »
batboy,

You are in no position to be giving advice on this forum. We don't go by those "so many in so many hundreds" numbers when giving risk assessments because the study they are based on is flawed.

Please stay in your own thread, thank you!

Ann
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:11:03 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 05:04:57 am »
WorriedZA,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used Stillscared

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 06:00:15 am »
Hi Ann,

To be honest I didnt remember my last username or password. This is why I made a new account.

I did in the end test negative for my previous worry.

I dont know why I keep doing this to myself, as this is a whole new scenario for me. I continued to be safe and now this happened.

I am sorry.

WorriedZA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:24:54 am »
Worried,

Write your details down this time and keep them safe. If you create a third account, you will be banned, no questions asked.

You should not be using the same condom to go from anal to vaginal intercourse. You will spread bacteria from the rectum to the vagina and give the woman a bacterial infection. It also increases the chances of the condom breaking as you have found out. Always change the condom when switching from anal to vaginal.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and it's highly unlikely that you would have become infected with hiv from this condom break. I've yet to see an insertive partner test positive after a condom break and I don't expect you to either.

But you know the drill, you should test to be certain at 12-13 weeks after this happened.

Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you know how to use them correctly. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Again, you have had a risk but I do expect you will test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 06:42:08 am »
Thanks Ann,

The bacterial infection, how likely is this to happen? Wouldnt want the girl suffering from a stupid mistake on both our parts.

Im sure she is not hiv + as she asked me when last I was tested and I told her and she said she had also been tested recently. But how true that is I dont know.

I have got my account details saved now and will not make a new account. Apologies to you and other members of this helpfull forum.

Worried

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 06:57:51 am »
Worried,

Even if she IS hiv positive, you are unlikely to become infected from this incident. Exposure does not necessarily equal successful transmission, especially when we're talking about the insertive partner.

You should still test to make certain. Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As for the likelyhood of her getting a bacterial infection, well, how long is a peice of string? Tell her to keep an eye out for itchyness in her genital area and/or an unusual vaginal discharge. If either of these things occur, tell her to see her doctor. Bacterial vaginosis is common and easy to treat, but it must be treated as it can move up into the reproductive tract and cause fertility problems.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 07:05:15 am »
Thank you Ann  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 07:12:30 am »
Worried,

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention that going from anal to vaginal can also cause yeast (thrush) infection. The organism that causes this infection is found in the digestive tract, where there are friendly bacteria that keep it in check. If it is introduced into the vagina, it can cause infection. The symptoms are also itching and unusual vaginal discharge, but it won't cause fertility problems. It's just damned uncomfortable! Again, if this occurs, it is easily treated and she should see her doctor.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 10:28:06 am »
Hi again,

Im sure you all get sick of reading the same thing and repeating the same thing over and over again.

I think we worry wells just like hearing your replies for our certain worry if not that different from others.

So thank you for taking the time and effort to keep us semi-level headed.

My chest infection is still with me from two days after this incident of mine.

Noticed a small read dot(looks like slight abrasion, when i say slight  i mean tiny) on the head of my penis. Worrying me. As if this had been there would have made transmission easier ?

Also the head and shaft when I woke up this morning had extremely dry skin on it. Would this have anything to do with anything? Or is it simply dry skin?

Thanks for your replies.

Worried

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 06:07:32 am »
Anyone?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 07:44:27 am »
Even if you just infected and that you don't know. Signs and Symptoms don't happen that quick in relation to HIV infection. So quit worrying youself to death.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 12:47:23 pm »
Hi all,

It has now been 15 days since my incident. I am still scared but keeping myself busy. I saw the girl on the weekend and brought up the subject that I am slightly worried as what I did was out of character on my part and have always been a worry well with this sort of problem. She assured me I had nothing to worry about as she had been tested a month before and hadnt been with anyone else in between. This reassured me a bit.

Still though having trouble getting over this incident. Should I wait another 13 days and have the PCR test done? Or wait for the 13 week elisa? Scared of those false positives!

Thanks guys,

Cheers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 12:58:49 pm »
Worried,

PCR tests are not approved for diagnostic purposes because they have a very high rate of false positive. The last thing you and your anxiety needs is a false positive result.

Whether or not this woman is hiv positive, you are unlikely to become infected from a condom break. Hiv is a fragile difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. I've yet to see the insertive partner test positive after a condom break.

However, as you did have a small risk and, as you cannot go by what someone thinks about their hiv status, you do need to test. A negative antibody test at six weeks would be an excellent indication of your true status. That is the earliest you should even consider testing.

And forget about a PCR!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 01:03:11 pm »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

One more question....

Just how hard is it for a female to transmit to a male?

Would this be for vaginal and anal intercourse?

Thanks

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 07:33:58 am »
Hi again all,

it has now been almost a month since my possible exposure and have been trying my best to keep myself busy.

My job now requires me to move north of where I am for the next two years and probably wont have easy access to the test I will be needing to take at 13 weeks.

Woud testing before I go be a good indication? ie tomorrow

I ask as I am now feeling the worry again as I have been sick for the past day, throwing up, upset stomach, rather large rash on my eyelids and forehead.

I am worried.

Cheers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 07:38:19 am »
Worried,

If you test tomorrow, it will be one day short of five weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. You will be at 34 days so yes a test tomorrow would be an excellent indication of your true status, although not conclusive.

I'm still expecting you to test negative over this vaginal, brief condom break.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 07:41:35 am »
Thanks Ann....

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 08:28:49 am »
One last thing before I go and test.

The symptoms that I mentioned are they HIV related. The vomiting upset sdtomach rash on eye lids and forehead(little red dots) cramps etc. Is this the right itme for these symptoms to be showing for hiv? I know you have said symptoms are nothing to go on but I am starting to get freaked out again. No fever or night sweats though.

Also if these are in face HIV symptoms will my test show positive? Or will the test only be positive after the symptoms are gone? Assuming they are acute hiv infection symptoms...

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 08:46:42 am »
Worried,

None of the symptoms you list are hiv specific. And yes, if they are anything to do with hiv, you will test positive or indeterminate at least.

I'm expecting a negative. So should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 05:34:10 pm »
Hi all,

Back again... As if someone is out to get me!!!

5 weeks ago,mostly protected intercourse with a female of unknown status, The condom broke again! (afer putting it on properly...) I have no idea how long it was broken for.... Anything between 5 and 10 minutes.

I didnt think much of it having learnt from my previous experience. Last week, four weeks after possile exposure, upset stomach, pain in the groin, fatigue and possible fever(didnt measure temp) and night sweats . Today, symptoms gone. This has got me worried. All points to possible sero-conversion sickness...
Would the fever be serious enough to actually make you feel like flu or really sick???

Sorry to have dug up the old thread. These situations make me stress far too much and I do practise safe sex, so I do try stop getting myelf into these situations.

thanks for taking the time to read and any response will be appreciated.

Worried.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 06:42:24 pm »
You did the right thing by posting this in your original thread.

Look, the likelihood of you having been infected as a result of this encounter is vanishingly small. You were protected up until the condom broke. Given that HIV is a fragile virus and difficult to transmit -especially from female to male- I'd say you'll most like test negative.

But you should test at the 12-13 week point. I'd remind you that symptoms are meaningless in terms of HIV transmission, it's risk behaviours that matter.

MtD

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 02:42:07 pm »
Hello Again,

Thanks for the quick reply.... Been trying to keep myself busy!

One more question, with regards to symptoms, and I know you all say they are nothing to go by but they are pretty hard to ignore!!

Do they all come up at once and then stop at once? As I said last week I had those symptoms, and they stopped. This week definately feeling fluish. No night sweats or noticable fever. But Def sinus and uneasy feling. No swollen glands that I can notice either, no rash etc.... Not feeling all that ill, but hose symptoms are noticable!!! Also with regard to te nght sweats, are they profuse? Ie wet shirt and sheat or minimal??? Same goes for the diareah??

Thanks again for your continued responses!!!

Cheers

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 02:52:57 pm »
Za,

We don't discuss symptoms here because they are not a reliable indicator of HIV infection.

The symptoms that some people experience during seroconversion are largely indistinguishable from those experienced during any other viral infection, ie they're not specific to HIV. Many other people experience no symptoms whatsoever.

We've found it's much better to focus of specific risk behaviours and the results of HIV antibody tests performed at the right time and that applies to you to. You've had a very low risk. You should test at 12-13 weeks, but I'm fully confident that you'll return a negative result.

MtD

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 01:36:41 pm »
Slight fever, head ache, post nasal drip... Is it now too late for ARS? 45 days??? Dont know what to ask really, just stressing. Any replies appreciated.

merry christmas all.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 02:05:58 pm »
Hello all,

Tomorrow will be a day short of 8 weeks? Going to test. Need to get this off my chest. Just how reliable is a test at 8 weeks. From my encounter, assuming the test is negative which im praying it is. Should I re-test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 02:10:25 pm »
Go back and reread the replies that you were given.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »
Hi there Rapid,

Think I have read those replies about 100 times over.

Witht the work I do I wont be able to test at thr 13th week. Its tomorrow or in 2 months from now.

Thanks for the response.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »
Then wait out two more months.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »
Wish it was that easy.

Offline WorriedZA

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »
Amazingly today, woke up feeling great and didnt think about my burden at all. As soon as the thought came up I tried to think of something else right away. Felt healthier from this. Amazing what the mind can do! Testing tomorrow morning at 8 weeks, and when i get the chance in the future il do so again. Just hoping for that negative! Feeling more and more confident that I will come out of this okay.

Obviously HIV is terrible. I know this. But I will not let it make me live my life in fear or wonder about every person I meet. Obviously remaining careful.

Thank you guys once again for taking the time to answering my quetions over and over again!

If I have anything to report, il do so here.

Cheers. :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.