Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:26:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 529
Total: 529

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please pray for me  (Read 4033 times)

Offline greg_700

• Standard
Please pray for me
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
I think I've really fucked up this time. I had unprotected receptive anal sex with a guy about two weeks ago. I started to feel I had a sore throat almost straight afterwards, and I've been sick since with nasal congestion and a dry cough. I found out a few days ago he's positive (though undetectable apparently). I'm not religious or anything but I'm in complete despair so I've been praying to the universe or something. I'm asking here if anyone would pray for me that I don't contract HIV.

I don't know how it let myself do it. I just wasn't assertive. I had a episode earlier in the year where a condom broke and I had PEP and I remembered how horrible and scared I felt and I told myself to never forget that feeling so I never engage in risky sex. But I just forgot. I just let him do it to me. That's partly the reason why I didn't go and get PEP straight after, I remembered how crappy it made me feel. Also because I asked him both before we had sex and after we finished if he had any STIs and he assured me he didn't (I know this isn't a very smart way to avoid STIs). So I just tried to forget about it and not worry.

I know it's my fault for not being assertive, but I'm so angry at this man. He knew he was poz. I have photo evidence of him telling me 'No' when I asked him about STIs (from a phone app Scruff), and photo evidence of him saying he is actually positive, but undetectable (when I started to get suspicious about my sickness I created a fake account on Scruff and managed to get it out of him). I don't understand how he could knowingly put someone at risk like that.

I'm only 21. I already struggle with depression and anxiety and it's only within the last year or so that I've started to overcome my symptoms and succeed at University and in my social life. But now I don't know how I'd be able to cope if I had HIV. I get myself so worried that I feel like I'm going to faint. I found out that this guy was poz the day before my 21st birthday party. I remember the whole night I was so sad and I felt like I didn't belong. And I couldn't stop imagining what everyone would think of me if I had HIV and they knew. I keep thinking I'd rather have cancer or have my legs amputated or anything else besides this.

Please pray for me. I have nowhere else to turn.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:47:41 am by greg_700 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Please pray for me
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:04 am »
You can test 6 weeks post exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results .

Be sure and get tested for all std's , you can contract an std much easier than HIV and they may be present without symptoms for some time .

I hope you will insist on condoms each and every time you have anal or vaginal sex , its the best way to avoid HIV . If the guy in question is is truly undetectable then its in your favor but you still need to test at the appropriate time .

Im wishing you the best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline greg_700

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:30:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I had a test 4 weeks after the incident and I'm waiting on the results now. I know I won't be able to get a conclusive negative but I think it might reassure me a bit.

I noticed my lymph nodes were a bit hard and tender recently, but the doctor said they're not enlarged at all so there's nothing to worry about there (I hope?). I suspect they might be like that because I've been checking them too much. I don't know if I should talk to my parents or wait until I know for sure. Going from "I might be HIV positive" to "I'm HIV postitive" is a lot less of a shock for them than just "I have HIV".

I didn't contract any other STIs, and the doctor said that's in my favour as well.

Hopefully I'm not infected and this incident will just be a big wake up call for me. But if I'm unlucky, I'm glad I found this place. From having a look around it seems like people are very well informed and supportive.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »
Four weeks IS too early to test. A test at the six week mark will be all but definitive. a test at three months remains the Gold Standard. Please don't forget to get a FULL STD panel as well, as syphilis shares a three month window with HIV.

A couple of other points;

Poking at your lymph nodes will make them swell. And they will hurt. Cut it out.

Also, the fact that the guy is on meds and undetectable means he is extremely unlikely to pass along the virus. It is not impossible, as semen CAN experience spikes in viral load if other STDs are present. Of course, we do not know if those spikes are enough to pose a threat or not, as that research is relatively new. And, of course, we are assuming he was honest about that.

But I see a troubling commonality between your two risks and your reactions. These words might seem tough but they are really meant to help:

If you are not confident enough to maintain your sexual boundaries then you should not be having sex. Period. It is YOUR body, and you are ultimately responsible for what (and who) you put into it.

Going by someone's stated status is a terrible idea, and why we are experiencing many new infections within the gay community. Sero-sorting ONLY works if both partners are positive. Negative sero-sorting is a fool's game.

This guy knew he was HIV positive, fair enough. But what about the guy who honestly thinks he is negative, but is in the window period before producing antibodies? That's when the viral load can be in the millions, and is likely the most infectious a person can be. Yet drag out an Over The Counter OraQuick test and he will still test negative.

If you are going to remain HIV negative (and I certainly hope that you do) you absolutely HAVE to establish your boundaries and prepare to walk away rather than compromise. Assume EACH partner is HIV positive and behave properly by insisting on condoms for penetrative anal sex.

And yes, you CANhave sex - good sex - with HIV positive people if you wear a condom. Asking someone their status is absurd and pointless. PLEASE take control over your status. PLEASE remember this fear and this anxiety, and do the one, ridiculously simple thing that will prevent it: wear a condom for anal sex.

I sincerely hope that you come out of this OK.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.