Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:40:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 332
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Marinol to induce appetite.. What's your experience?  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Mynewlife+

• There is only one of you in all the universe
Marinol to induce appetite.. What's your experience?
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:37:15 pm »
I have been given marionol to induce appetite and avoid nausea... Do you have any experience with it ?

I honestly don't like the way it makes me feel after I take it, but it sure makes me eat like a horse..

Share your knowledge, we know too much to waste it.. Share your joy, we all want it... Share your pain, it won't last forever.. Nothing does.
Me

I live in turbulence to rest in peace after

You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
ALANIS MORISSETTE

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Marinol to induce appetite.. What's your experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:45 pm »
I could never tell that it did much for me, and I have tried it off and on over the past 10 years.....

I believe Jerry has had good luck in using it.....he gained quite a bit of weight with it, if I'm remembering correctly.   Jerry is that right?

If it is making you eat, it is working, so stick with it and good luck!

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:45:27 pm »
It never really did much for me, so I went to the real thing. The funny feelings you have will prolly go away in a few weeks. While you are eating up everything just remember to eat healthy....*Good Eating*...I think that is what Alton Brown says at the end of Iron Chef.... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:02:42 pm »
Hey Mynewlife+,

I personally have never experienced Marinol. However, it is mainly used for Nausea and Vomiting as well as to increase you appetite. When you have the chance, you can check out their site for more information: http://www.marinol.com/.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:28:59 pm »
I honestly don't like the way it makes me feel after I take it, but it sure makes me eat like a horse..

I took THC Marinol and yes it made me eat like a horse. It was necessary at the time because I was 21 pounds underweight. I don't have to take Marinol anymore thank goodness. It made me too giddy, all my senses were heightened, movies would bring out extreme emotions - it was very similar to smoking grass.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:36:02 pm »
It never really did much for me, so I went to the real thing.

I'm with her.  Call me Old School...
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:38:02 pm »
When they changed my medications which included Trizivir (1 year ago, last July), I was so sick, I could not stand up at the stove long enough to heat a can of soup, much less eat it.  I called the Clinic and asked for something to help.  The Staff Nurse recommended anything with Ginget to help with the nausea.  Gingerale, Ginger tea, Ginger cookies, nothing helped.  The Nurse called in a scrip for Marinol, which did not help either.  One would think a $1600.00 bottle of pills would be the answer to all of our prayers.

My neighbor was coming over everyday to see that I ate and made me soup.  One afternoon, after smoking a little marijuana gold, I stopped throwing up and started laughing.  I got a prescription for medical MJ from an outside clinic, threw away the marinol and have been fine for the past year.

Having had conversations with others, including some of the volunteers at ther AIDS Food Bank, we decided the active ingredient from mmj, used in Marinol has been destroyed in the manufacturing process.  I gladly trade all the Marinol in the world for a hit of fresh air, sweet California sunshine.  Apologies to the 70's San Francisco band, Quicksilver Messenger Service for stealing their lyrics.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org  

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:47:51 pm »
You know...while we're on the subject: 

It really grills my burger how the Feds just won't stop getting in the way of the medicinal use of marijuana- even when the patients, doctors and the entire voting public of some states voice their favor of it.  They go on and on about how there is no legitimate use to it & how it is such a public danger...all the while approving FDA patents for...MARINOL.  Which is what, class??  Prescription pot.

It just goes to show that the biggest threat from it is that they can't make a cut if we're able to grow some help for ourselves.

~+

(I don't mean to highjack the thread, but it was related so I just threw this part in.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:50:21 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Mynewlife+

• There is only one of you in all the universe
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 09:07:08 pm »
^^

Well you just did.... Just kidding thunter34

What about other stimulants to help you eat more? I have eaten healthy all my life and love good food but ever since I started on my meds I lost my ferocious appetite, oh I'm not fat, I been going to the gym siince I was 19yo I'm 5'10 160 lbs since then.(I'm 33 so you know) Never gain or lost weight just got riped, I just started to loose weight till I got sick.. Call me mr good genes lol... That's why the doc game me mr Marinol..  And of course I like the real stuff better (the good stuff) but I thought it would be bad for the lungs..... ?
Share your knowledge, we know too much to waste it.. Share your joy, we all want it... Share your pain, it won't last forever.. Nothing does.
Me

I live in turbulence to rest in peace after

You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
ALANIS MORISSETTE

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:18:08 pm »
Yeah, but probably not as toxic for you as the PI's and stuff.  Still, the little legal issue...

Moving on.  It's interesting you bring this up because there is another current thread on here with the exact opposite problem:  the meds make them hungry enough to eat road kill.  How severe is the appetite loss?  Moderate or high?  If you can manage to chow something right away when you get up, that tends to help promote appetite for the day.  I dunno about other appetite stimulants.  Most of the stuff out there seems to be prescibed to get people to eat less.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 11:31:34 pm »
As they say, "There's nothing like the real thing,baby"....It's gotten to the point with me that if I don't smoke I really won't eat. But if I take my diabetic meds, they seem to make me hungry, and really I can't take them without eating. I just put that piece of information together yesterday.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:21 am »
Marinol I took it for awhile got off of it did not do much for me. As far as appetite went it makes some of us want to eat and others not much effect. It can be an addicted drug just made me happy and drunk all the time. Also it made me want to sleep all the time. Mepron is what my doctor has me on and it is for getting your appetite and for gaining weight also it is for preventing getting PCP when your numbers are under 200. But the taste of Mepron is nasty as hell and it coats your tongue a bright yellow. I will just stick with my honey's good cooking for now though, I have put on alot of weight since we meet in October.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:02:47 am by Jerry71 »

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:05 am »

I have a Marinol Rx to bump up appetite since I'm underweight.  I found it works best if taken with a meal, not an empty stomach.  It will trigger the munchies (anywhere from thirty minutes to several hours later) and I'll eat almost the equivalent of another meal before I go to bed.  I take Marinol at night when I'm not going anywhere, since, of course, the effects are like smokin' pot.  I make sure I have my chores done for the day since it's relaxing and makes me feel lethargic.  Personally, I enjoy the feeling, and it reduces stress.

The other medication I was once prescribed for appetite was Megace.  Oh it worked alright, but I was unaware at the time that it contains Progesterone (female hormone.)  So my libido crashed and I discontinued the Megace.

Marinol is expensive (60 caps are $640.)  I get mine paid through the ASO (AIDS Service Organization) here, though they won't cover a full year's supply.  So I have the smoking version of the product to tide me over.  If you're of limited income and assets, the manufacturer (Unimed being one) may provide it to you via their compassionate care program.

As has already been expressed on the board here, it seems ludicrous that these expensive capsules are legal, and the same thing, smoked, is illegal.  At least Marinol has been downgraded from a C-II to a C-III about five years ago on the controlled substance listing.   

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 04:00:09 pm »
Louie was prescribed Marinol for the nausea from the chemo, and to help increase his appetite.

It did nothing for him.  Didn't stop the nausea and didn't help with the appetite.

The illegal version did him some good.  Though I and he, feel that he's in very rough shape and not much is helping him, not even the illegal kind.

Good luck with it.

Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.