Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:50:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 459
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Young HIV Patient In FL Jail for Spitting on Police Officer  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Young HIV Patient In FL Jail for Spitting on Police Officer
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:22:06 am »
As requested by Ann, here's a separate thread about Betsie Gallardo.  This young lady was incarcerated after a traffic incident during which she happened to spit on the attending police officer (some sources say that she bit him, but this is not correct).  

She is dying of cancer and after several petitions from her family no one seemed to care.  Then our local Miami media decided to get the word out there and she has been given a medical release (finally).

This is the kinda stuff that makes my blood boil.

Gallardo given conditional medical release
http://floridaindependent.com/18637/betsie-gallardo-given-conditional-medical-release

An emergency session of the Florida Parole Commission Wednesday resulted in the conditional medical release of 27-year-old Betsie Gallardo, reports Bil Browning at Bilerico.

Gallardo was arrested in 2009 and found guilty of assaulting a police officer. She was sentenced to five years in prison. The charges were brought because Gallardo is HIV-positive, and depending on which source you turn to, either bit an officer or spit at the officer.

But in 2010, shortly after beginning her stay in the Florida prison system, she was diagnosed with stage-four gall bladder cancer. That cancer spread to her intestines, causing a massive tumor which blocked her intestines and made eating or drinking impossible. Gallardo’s mother Jessica Bussert drove to Indiana to be with her dying daughter, and found that prison medical officials had declined to administer intravenous nutrition.

On Christmas Eve, several Florida lawmakers wrote a letter to the Parole Commission seeking Gallardo’s release.

After Bussert went public, the prison system transfered Gallardo to a hospital in Miami. She was put on I.V. nutrition and has gained eight pounds, reports Bussert.

On Tuesday evening, Bussert attended the inaugural ball of incoming Gov. Rick Scott. She pleaded her daughter’s case to the new governor.

The vote to release Gallardo was two to one. As a result, she will be released to the Miami Hospice and will be under house arrest. She will be allowed to leave the facility only to attend church and to go to medical appointments.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Young HIV Patient In FL Jail for Spitting on Police Officer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:27 am »
Ugh. This sorta stuff makes me hope a copper gets shot. >:(

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:36:10 am »
The vote to release Gallardo was two to one.  

Like salt on an open wound.... stings that it was this close even.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:26 am »

It stings that there had to be a vote in the first place. When will the governing bodies of any our counties learn even the rudiments of hiv transmission science?

And where sexual transmission is concerned, when will we start expecting people to be responsible for their own choices, including the choice to believe a liar?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:42 am »
As requested by Ann, here's a separate thread about Betsie Gallardo.  This young lady was incarcerated after a traffic incident during which she happened to spit on the attending police officer (some sources say that she bit him, but this is not correct).  

Here in South Florida, all the news stations are reporting that she bit the officer.  Some phrase it as "police say she bit an officer" instead of reporting it like it is a fact like others are doing.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:07 am »
It stings that there had to be a vote in the first place.

Trust me, I totally agree.   I'm just pissed that even with death near the fuckers couldn't have been unanimous in there decision.  I will say this though, regardless if you're positive or not, if you spit on a police officer you will spend some time in the joint for it.  My first ex-wife learned this the hard way.  If I remember correctly she was charged with assault on a police officer.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:51:48 am »
Here in South Florida, all the news stations are reporting that she bit the officer.  Some phrase it as "police say she bit an officer" instead of reporting it like it is a fact like others are doing.

It doesn't really matter if she bit or spat. Neither results in hiv transmission.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:51 am »
It doesn't really matter if she bit or spat. Neither results in hiv transmission.

But what if I have a cut on my toe and saw a sex worker last week?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:00:11 am »
But what if I have a cut on my toe and saw a sex worker last week?

You're quite obviously fucked.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:17 am »
How can we fight against idiots like this, they refuse to listen and refuse to be educated, ..it's unbeleivable and disgusting the way she was treated.

Aroha
Jan >:(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline next2u

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:38 am »
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/betsie_gallardo_gains_medical_release_but_still_not_allowed_to_die_at_home

apparently they are still trying to get her home. the woman is in florida but her mom wants to take her home to indiana. the link above has a link to a petition. man, i signed that shit with a quickness. this young lady's story is pretty harrowing.

(edited because of mtd's crack at one of my many typos)
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:08 am »
Thanks for the petition link, Next. There's a discrepancy in her age -- the news article says she's 27 while the petition appeal says she's 24. Reading the appeal made her case all the more significant---the newspaper article says nothing about how and where she started her life and the violence she experienced. No wonder she spat on a cop while intoxicated. If I had her past, it likely would have been more than spit.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »
Am I the only one who thought it a bit worrisome that they were allowed to refuse her IV nutrients if she is unable to eat?  That's basically condemning someone to death by starvation.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:17:09 am »
I was saddened to read that Betsie has died.  It is so sad, a crime really, that she had to spend so much of the end of her life in prison. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/Betsie_Gallardo_Dies_1_19826.shtml

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:13:34 am »
There ya go. Criminalizing HIV claims another victory.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 06:00:24 am »
Red about the new Assault with Bodily Fluids Bill being proposed in Nebraska and be very depressed (or angry).

http://criminalhivtransmission.blogspot.com/2011/02/us-urgent-action-required-to-fight.html

"This Friday, February 4th, the Nebraska State Legislature will debate The Assault with Bodily Fluids Bill which would criminalise striking any public safety officer with any bodily fluid (or expelling bodily fluids toward them) and includes a specific increase of penalty to a felony (up to five years and/or $10,000 fine) if the defendant is HIV-positive and/or has Hepatitis B or C. "

- matt

"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 06:22:47 am »
Holy Crap! I'm going to repost your post in Activism and make a couple of phone calls to Nebraska.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:37 am »

What surprises me, is that they let her out.  Pozzies in the States need to wake up and see what is really happening in this country.  The crusade continues to mark poz folks as deviants, that the public needs to be protected from, and that "fact" is then used to support the underfunding of HIV services.  Let me be very clear here, we are under attack (again) as an undesirable segment of society and we have enemies at all levels of government and within the general public.

It becomes very easy to denying adequate funding for HIV services, when you cast the recipients of those services as sub-human and hell-bent on infecting every person we can.  This is nothing more than a continued witch hunt, seeking to dehumanize pozzies and cast us in the most unfavorable light.  I cannot believe that these "law makers" are unaware of the true nature of HIV infection, but they just do not care.  Their ONLY GOAL is to appease their constituents, by passing laws, not based on scientific knowledge regarding HIV transmission, but to further "criminalization" of the very fact that we are poz.

Stories like these are promoted, to generate fear of poz folks and to reconfirm, to millions of Americans that we are something to be feared.  This is a campaign built on hate and fear, nothing more and this is why, the younger generation of pozzies, had better wake up and start advocating for their rights.  The HIV war is far from over and the sooner that pozzies understand, that there are real and dangerous foes aligned against us, the sooner they can work to counter these scare tactics.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.