Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 390
Total: 393

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Some happier news  (Read 9300 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Some happier news
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:33:53 pm »
I had my annual eye exam and my eyes are doing fine. No sign of glaucoma and, most importantly, no sign of detached retinas.

I am at risk for the latter because of the shape of my eye, which is also why I am very nearsighted.

I have cataracts in both eyes. The one in the right eye is more advanced, but neither are approaching the point of needing surgery yet. So, that is good news too.

My eye doc always checks for CMV, etc., just in case, although he said my numbers are probably way too good to have to worry about it. He always asks what my last lab results were and whether anything has happened that may be a problem for my eyes.

I like him. He is thorough.

So, some instructions to use eye drops more often, especially when I am working at the computer, and a new pair of glasses, but nothing untoward.

Just thought I would pass along a bit of good news for a change.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

Re: Some happier news
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »
That is great news Mark.  I don't know where you order your glasses but I've had great success ordering them online.  I order all of mine through glassesshop.com.  I can order several pair for what one pair costs locally.  I've ordered 5 pair through them and am quite satisfied.

Have a great evening.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »
I just got my first pair of glasses in my entire life this past month -- bifocals. I'm still getting used to navigating subway stairs wearing them.

I have eye drops too.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:59 pm »
Just thought I would pass along a bit of good news for a change.
it's always good to SEE good news  ;)

glad to read that it's not time for surgery yet; but as I told Joel (since Kurt will be having the surgery), I know plenty of people who have this done and have gone on to be happy for how much better their eyesight was after this little bit of effort
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:12 am »
I just got my first pair of glasses in my entire life this past month -- bifocals. I'm still getting used to navigating subway stairs wearing them.

I have eye drops too.

I've worn glasses, or contact lenses, for nearly 50 years.  :o

I hear you about learning to navigate with bifocals. It is a learning experience, to say the least.

But, at least you can see who you are flirting with!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:02:03 am »
Thanks Wolfie, I'll check it out. My glasses are expensive, mainly because I am blind as a bat and have bifocals.

I was thinking of something in a tortoise shell this time for frames. Hmmmm. . . .

Hey Mikie,

Yes, my mom can read the paper without her glasses now since she had the surgery. I just don't like the idea of surgery.

I will get it done when the time comes though.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:32 am »
My vision is piss poor. I have always been half blind, and age has done nothing to swerve that in the other direction. I have -1.75 vision using glasses, -7.5 vision using contacts in my right eye. My left eye is about a point better.

Also, bifocals!

But I found a place online that makes KILLER glasses for very little money, considering. My vision in a single-vision lens is less than 25 dollars, and some classy frames. I even got a pair of sports goggles for rafting and skydiving that are not only progressive, but photochromic, for less than a hundred.

It's called goggles4u.com

They A:WAYS have sales. As a matter of fact, entering the coupon code "dealwoot" usually takes 20 bucks out of your order, which even in an advanced prescription is usually less than fifty bucks.

My most expensive pair, high index lenses, progressive no line, "advanced" prescription, photochromic, and a cool frame, less than two hundred dollars.

No, I don't get any money for referrals. Damnit.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 04:42:37 am »
Mark, it's good to read that something as important as your eyes are doing alright and not getting worse.  I understand fears with eyes, since I'm diabetic and have diabetic retinopathy in one eye.  I always get concerned about it getting worse.  And I've worn glasses for years.  I broke my last pair a couple months ago, and could only afford single vision with discounted lenses (I was wearing progessive lenses). 

Jkinatl, I'm going to check out that link.  I really need the progressive lenses back.  Thanks for posting!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:16 am »
Well Well Well, David, so you finally admit that your blind as a bat like the rest of us LTS  :D

here's a pic of me in my glasses, so please don't laugh too hard @ me y'all  :D

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/denb45/myglasses-1.jpg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:45:03 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:58:25 am »
Blind as a bat? Hardly. The eye doctor was willing to just have me go with long-distance only prescription. For reading I only needed the most minor prescription but I insisted on having bifocals made.

Aren't they fetching? (and yes, the apparel is supposed to look like that!)

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 11:14:10 am »
David, thems some fancy glasses you got there, and they are a very nice fit for the shape of your face, you look marvelous darling  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:17 am »
I'm not buying into the idea that those glasses are the ones he has to wear daily. Seriously?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:44 am »
I'm not buying into the idea that those glasses are the ones he has to wear daily. Seriously?

I take it you don't like my choice of frames? I was trying to go for that chunky frame/nerdy look but without resorting to the ubiquitous black frame of hipster lore. Call it quasi-hipster.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:58:41 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline denb45

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 12:03:48 pm »
I take it you don't like my choice of frames? I was trying to go for that chunky frame/nerdy look but without resorting to the ubiquitous black frame of hipster lore. Call it quasi-hipster.

:D Joel are you trying to say that David has many pairs of glasses like Elton John did  ;D

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:20:16 pm »
Mark,

Great results with the eye exam !! Glaucoma/diabetes runs on my fathers side, diabetes runs on my mothers side, so I keep a close watch on the eyes.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 07:44:48 am »

That's just what I was going to say:  every hipster (at least the ones running around in my East Austin neighborhood) has black frames.  I knew I could count on Philly to change it up a bit!

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:47:44 am »
I had my annual eye exam and my eyes are doing fine. No sign of glaucoma and, most importantly, no sign of detached retinas.

Mark,

I'm so happy your eyes and eyesight are doing well!  I wouldn't want you to miss seeing any Marine who happened to be wearing a kilt.   ;)

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
I dont know how many frames he has....but I suspect he has a few different outfits. He is CO-ORDINATED you know.
This photo has him looking like a 60's astronaut.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »
I dont know how many frames he has....but I suspect he has a few different outfits. He is CO-ORDINATED you know.
This photo has him looking like a 60's astronaut.

:D Joel, I wouldn't be surprised if David has a pair for every outfit in his closet w/ matching shoes  :D
but I've never met him before, and I heard he's quite a character, so you know him way better than me  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:55:53 pm by denb45 »

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
Love good news and David your Glasses are very Viennese architect .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.