Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 356
Total: 357

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Positive ELISA test and weak western blot?!  (Read 9815 times)

Offline barbod

Positive ELISA test and weak western blot?!
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:36:56 am »
Hello to all

I just had an unprotected sex 6 months ago. After about 5months I went for  HIV test. they told me that your ELISA result is positive and wait for western blot results. After one weak upon test, I had symptoms in my body e.g. stomachache, lymph nodes...

I went today for my western blot results and they told that your results is "weak western blot" and you have to repeat the test.

Now, I want to know that what it means by "weak western blot" and is there anyone who experienced this!?

I found in some articles that, when the western blot is weak it means that it takes more time for virus to show itself. Am I right?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:08:30 am by barbod »

Offline UK_SL

Re: What do you mean by positive ELIZA test and weak western blot?!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:28 am »
I don't knoe western blot or elisa tests are, but you need to go to hospital and have a hiv test.
05/10/2009 ~ DIAGNOSED, CD4 = 8
22/10/2009 ~ CD4 = 11/VL = 430,000, STARTED ATRIPLA and SEPTRIN
26/11/2009 ~ CD4 = 121/VL = 840
22/12/2009 ~ CD4 = 184 (6%)/VL = 340
11/03/2010 ~ CD4 = 177 (12%)/VL = 72
01/07/2010 ~ CD4 = 247 (12%) VL = 76
20/01/2011 ~ CD4 = 350 / VL = 29

Offline mikee

Re: What do you mean by positive ELIZA test and weak western blot?!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:27:52 am »
hi there barbod...

its possible that someone will be reactive to ELISA or EIA then will have an indeterminate WB. indeterminate means a positive HIV diagnosis cant be given to you yet. the same test will be run to you after 3 or 6 months just to make sure.

and while waiting you have to practice abstinence as much as possible or stay protected when having sex.

but for now you are not HIV positive.

and there are so many reasons for someone to have a reactive ELISA and indeterminate or weak WB bands.
eg. autoimmune illnesses or presence of other retroviruses, Human papilloma virus(causing warts) or HSV(the herpes virus)
etc.

and having symptoms after reading someothing about the disease is usually caused by anxiety.
remember "reading symptoms before the diagnosis if done overly can make u crazy"... its guaranteed

2008  - EIA nonreactive
01/09 - Probable infection
01/09 - HIV 1/2 Quali Serodia PA - nonreactive
04/09 - Seroconertion (rash,fever, tonsillitis)
05/09 - Recurrence of rash and fever
07/09 - Diarrhea Started
09/09 - Severe Seborrheic Dermatitis
10/09 - Reactive Fujerebio Serodia Particle Agglutination
11/21 - EIA - Reactive
           Fujerebio Serodia PA - Reactive
           WB - Positive (gp160, gp120, p66, gp41,
           p24, p17 bands were formed)
12/15 - cd4 = 66; vl = pending

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
Re: Positive ELIZA test and weak western blot?!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:26:21 am »
hi barbod.

as discussed above, it sounds like you got an indeterminate wb result....aka a weak positive. this may represent a false positive or, you are in the midst of seroconverting to hiv positive status. while rare, my understanding is that it can potentially take up to 6 months for that to happen in some people. given your initially reported short exposure time in your referenced encounter, your chances of actual infection were very low. as i had previously asked, had you in fact tested hiv neg up to the time of the encounter in question? have you had other unprotected sex before or after that encounter? any iv drug use or blood transfusions?

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline barbod

Re: Positive ELIZA test and weak western blot?!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:27 am »
Thanks for replies,

I'm not the iv drug user and I did not test periodically for HIV, but I'm sure that my absolute lymphocyte count was over 2000/ul about 2years ago and in last routine test(that it was in 4th month of exposure) it was 1300/ul. It was the first marker.

As I said in other topic, I just had an unprotected sex and upon completion of sex I felt that something is inside my left kidney but there was no symptoms during the 5 months.

Does the result of my wb point to the rate of progression of disease at all or not!? If not, what causes late seroconversion in some people!?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:52:19 am by barbod »

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Positive ELISA test and weak western blot?!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:14:44 pm »
Before you worry yourself sick.... I would ask them for the lab report.

A bit about testing:

ELISA is an anti-body test for HIV.  It checks for anti-bodies to HIV.  If it comes back positive it is confirmed with a more sensitive test called a Western Blot.

The Western Blot (WB) Test looks for antibodies to the piece of HIV.  You need antibodies to approximately 3 of the 5 different pieces for it to be considered positive. 

Sometimes the test is done too early and comes back inconclusive.  This means that you have antibodies to 1 or 2, but not 3 pieces of HIV.  NYU did a study on this and if you google for it you can find it.  There is a correllation between which piece (Called a band) comes back positive and eventual development. 

When I became positive the clinic did a WB at my insistence.  Even though the ELISA was non-reactive.  As a result it came back indeterminate because I was in the process of converting.  2 weeks later I retested and was poz. 

You can also get a RNA PCR test which is also known as a viral load.  This is a conclusive test that will determine if HIV (not antibodies to it) are present. 

There is no need to worry yourself sick and many common viruses (including a cold) produce similar symptoms.  Statistically, most people test positive 6 to 12 weeks after exposure.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.