Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:23:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 631
Total: 634

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, etc. need some thoughts on this.  (Read 9992 times)

Offline J220

Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, etc. need some thoughts on this.
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:45:48 pm »
Hi everybody, I need to hear some opinions about the way I have been physically feeling for the past week.

As a recap, DOI was Nov. 05, I am not on meds yet. Numbers have fluctuated between VL 30k to 12K (latest on Sept. 06) and CD4 270 to 350 (latest on Sept. 06).

Starting about three or four days ago, I have been feeling dizzy and light headed, as well as very tired and sleepy. It is like a general feeling of being sick, but not really sick, I am sure you know what I mean. Also, I sometimes feel like a pressure in my head, not quite like a headache, but I can definitely feel it. Also, I get like chills on my left leg at times, as well as a tickling sensation on the left side of my face. And finally although I can see fine, it's like sometimes things have an unreal quality, not sure if it's like tunnel vision or something, but it feels like my peripheral vision is not normal. Not sure how else to explain it.

Now, the thing is that about a week ago, a couple of things occurred that may or may not have anything to do with all this. For one, I have been under a lot of stress, for unrelated reasons. And second, maybe as a result of trying to relieve that stress (why I am trying to justifiy this? ah, yes, guilt...) I went ahead and bought a bottle of poppers (isobutyl nirtiate) and used it moderately for a period of maybe two three days (on a few occassions each day, not the whole time straight).

I am somewhat worried, because since seroconversion, I have not felt this way. I am right now waiting to get my letest labs, next Tuesday. The thing is that the blood was drawn two weeks ago, before the events I describe, and way before I started feeling this way.

Does anyone think this may have to do with the poppers, or could this just be incidental? I know it's impossible for anyone to know exactly what's going on here, but I am feeling rather nervous with all this, and I just need some support.

I am trying not to think about it too much until I see my doctor, but it's hard to do when I feel this way, pretty much all the time now. The other thing is that if there was any drastic change in my numbers it will probably not show in my next labs because as I said the blood was drawn before all this. Regardless of what the numbers are on tuesday I am going to ask my doctor, after I explain all this to him, if he could run another set of labs. He's pretty cool so he might not object.

So anyway, what are your thoughts on all this? Any thoughts welcome. My true fear is not a spike in viral load, it's the idea that maybe the hiv is replicating in my brain more than anywhere else, as a result of using the poppers, which increase blood flow to the brain. It's a long story why I think that, maybe it's rational maybe not. The things is that this idea is there, and I don't know how to deal with this right now except to ask these questions here. Thanks everybody.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:53:42 am by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Eldon

Re: Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, etc. need some thoughts on this.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:58:04 pm »
The Formula:

stress+anxiety+fear+poppers+other = Dizzy and Lightheaded mixed with strange feelings.

There is definitely a "cause" that is lurking about with your emotions. When it comes to stress in which we all tend to deal with one way or the other, it leads to anixety which leads to other emotional and physical symptoms of the body.

STRESS: is defined as the body's non-specific reaction to any demand that is placed upon it.

So in other words, you may not want to place any more "demands" on your body in order for your Stress Reduction to be more effective. Some examples are:

1. Meditation
2. Massage
3. Hot Tub
4. Favorite Music
5. Reading - Poetry

Before the symptoms get out of control, you will want to regain control by making the necessary adjustments in order to compensate for the variables that exists with your physical and your mental health.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:00:50 pm »
Hi J,
I was not going to reply until you mentioned that you've been under some stress lately.
When I read the initial symptoms, I was reminded of the stress relatred stuff I went through for the first month. The top right side of my head, from forehead back, tingled under the skin, all day everyday. no real headache. One of my eyelids would shut halfway as soon as I started thinking about HIV while I was at work.

I'm no doc, and definitely talk to yours on Tuesday. But my docs had no explaination for my stuff. They went away on their own.

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline J220

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:05:58 pm »
Thanks guys...I guess first things first: gotta get a handle of the stress. Soon as I get home gonna dunk myself in the tub, hot water. Tomorrow I'm going to start exercising again, been putting it off too long, maybe this will help. As far as reading been doing that like crazy, trying to distract myself, but with only marginal success. Bottom line is that guilt is a powerful emotion too, I feel guilty about indulging with the poppers, knowing there are many things claimed to be harmful about it. Anyway, it's done, just gotta move on now. But please do keep the comments coming everybody, need as much support as possible. Thank you all. J.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:08:41 pm »
With Guilt, address it, tantalize it, accept it, and move on and forget about it and change your thoughts on to something that is positive. This will help you tremendously.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:11:33 pm »
I would talk with your doc and tell him everything that you have been doing including poppers.   That stuff can linger around (at least for me and make you feel not quite right).   I would stop that kind of stuff, get active and do good stuff.   But bottom line, its your ID doc who is your main source of knowledge about diagnosing whats going on.   We can say one thing and it will be something else come diagnostic time...

Best wishes J.

Offline J220

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:38:12 pm »
Indeed J. The angst I feel now is not worth the momentary enjoyment of using the stuff, whether it's the cause of what I am feeling or not. So that's it for that, it's on the "no-fly" list. And as of tomorrow, it's back to exercising.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:42:25 pm »
That is definitely the attitude that you want to take.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:26:22 pm »
Hey there,

According to Wikipedia.net, "poppers act as vasodilators, relaxing smooth muscles throughout the body, including the sphincter muscles of the anus and the vagina. The blood vessel dilation causes a sudden drop followed by a sharp spike in systemic blood pressure, increases heart rate, and produces a sensation of heat and excitement that can last for several minutes. The blood vessels in the brain lack sheaths of smooth muscle and are unique in that they expand and contract in order to regulate blood pressure within the brain. The alkyl nitrites override this regulatory mechanism, and as such the drop in systemic blood pressure and subsequent vascular pressure spike are experienced directly by the brain. This causes the euphoric head rush for which nitrites are recreationally used."

and "By causing blood pressure spikes within the brain, the poppers user risks microstrokes. Prolonged use can cumulatively decrease the efficiency of the brain blood vessels' pressure regulation function, permanently raising intrabrain blood pressure and significantly increasing the risk of a more serious stroke. Some users report headaches."

Of course this is wikipedia, but it seems like this could produce some of the effects you are experiencing as the poppers are varying the blood pressure in the brain.  Best to use sparingly.

Best wishes,
Drew

Offline J220

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:57:30 pm »
Thanks for that info...who knows what's going on. All I know is that this morning I still feel the same way. I started exercising again, we'll see if this and other lifestyle changes have any effect. Regarding other things we've talked about here, I've been thinkning, I don't think this is stress related, it is actually something physical. We'll see what my doc says on Tuesday, although I am hoping this has gone away by then.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 04:03:54 pm »
American Council for Drug Education's
BASIC FACTS ABOUT DRUGS:
INHALANTS

How do Inhalants Harm You?

Because the immediate after-effects are usually mild and last only a short time, many abusers believe that inhalants are essentially harmless. They are wrong. Inhalants can be very dangerous, both in their immediate effects and their long-term consequences.

Short-term effects

During the high itself and the period of reaction afterward, physical coordination and mental judgment are impaired, much as they are by excessive drinking. Abusers often suffer falls and other accidents and cannot drive safely. They may engage in irresponsible or dangerous behavior, such as reckless violence.

Inhalants irritate the breathing passages, sometimes provoking severe coughing, painful inflammation, and nosebleeds.

Nitrite inhalants often cause intense facial flushing, feelings of severe weakness and dizziness, and heart palpitations.

Inhalants, particularly in heavy doses, may not produce a pleasant high but mental confusion, hallucinations, and delusions of persecution (paranoia) instead.

By depressing the central nervous system, inhalants may dangerously hinder the activity of the nerves that control breathing. The resulting respiratory depression may cause unconsciousness, coma, or even death. The danger is especially great if inhalants are taken along with other nervous-system depressants, such as alcohol or barbiturates (sleeping pills).

Inhaling for an extended time from a bag or balloon may cause a dangerous shortage of oxygen in the lungs. Like respiratory depression, oxygen deprivation (asphyxia) may lead to unconsciousness, coma, or death.

Even first-time users run the risk of sudden sniffing death (SSD). The mechanics are not well understood, but abusers may suffer fatal irregularity of heartbeat (arrhythmia) or complete heart arrest. The risk of SSD seems to be higher if the abuser engages in strenuous physical activity or is suddenly startled.

Long-term effects

Repeated use tends to produce increased tolerance to the drugs and larger doses are needed to achieve the same results. Heavy doses in turn increase the risk of permanent brain damage, with effects such as poor memory, extreme mood swings, tremors, and seizures. Heavy, continuous use also increases the risk of heart arrhythmia and respiratory depression.

Nitrite inhalants tend to raise the pressure of the fluid within the eyes. The raised pressure may eventually lead to glaucoma and blindness. Regular nitrite abuse may also cause severe, pounding headaches.

Organic solvents are the most dangerous of all inhalants. They are poisons that break down organic compounds of all kinds including those that make up living cells. Once absorbed into the body, they tend to concentrate in the liver and kidneys, where they are processed for disposal. Repeated, heavy abuse may cause fatal damage to these organs, as well as to the heart and nervous system.

http://www.acde.org/common/Inhalant.htm

Just thought you'd like to know. I believe the best decision is an informed decision.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J220

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
Thanks for that info, no question about it, inhalants should be stayed away from.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Eldon

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »
Here is an alternative for you...study up on some effective meditation, it does wonders for the body as I am a living witness to testify the difference.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 06:17:31 am »
You're welcome J220. The temporary high just isn't worth the long term consequences (for me).

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Regretsafew

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 08:25:10 am »
Hi there,

Dizziness,  lightheadedness-  feeling weak and tired could also be a sign of anemia. 
Have your doc run a CBC on you and check your  Hemaglobin and Hematocrit.   I think after a few days if it was the poppers that would have gone away.   

I hope everything works out for the best. 

Joey

Offline J220

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 02:45:57 pm »
Thanks guys...and I'll definitely bring up testing for anemia with my doctor. Also, I was speaking to someone and they mentioned that it could be due to high blood pressure, although the last time I had my BP taken in September it was fine. Could it go high enough to cause dizzyness in a few months?

What I do know is the the dizziness is still there, even as I write this, and I have this strange feeling in the left side of my head, like pressure or crawling feeling on my scalp. Enough time has passed so that any effect from the nitrites should have passed, so what the hell is it then?

Question: I know that HIV does lodge itself in the brain at some point. When and if that happens, are there any specific manifestations, such as this dizzyness and feeling of pressure in my head? Has any body experienced this specifically, for a period of like a week? Thanks for all your replies, and patience.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline J220

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 06:58:41 pm »
I was speaking to a friend who is studying nursing and he suggested that I may be suffering from Labyrinthitis, and inflammation of the inner ear. Naturally I will not know for sure until I see my doctor this week, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever had this?
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 07:18:25 pm »
I really don't think it's the poppers that some here are fixating on, but I guess why do them while you're worrying.  Wait until you go to the doctor, though I'm sure he'll tell you not to do them.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Longislander

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 10:58:33 pm »
see reply #2
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.