Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 342
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oil Lub with Condom, what are my risks?  (Read 6185 times)

Offline worried88

Oil Lub with Condom, what are my risks?
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »
Dear All,

I'm new to this site and would like some kind assessment/advice on my HIV risk. On 29th Dec. 2011, I had sex with a CSW and she used Johnson baby cream as lub. for vagina intercourse. I was a little drunk that night because it was after some partying with friends so i didn't think much about the oil lub. at that time yet but i can still remember that i did use a condom during intercourse and the condom did not break after i finished(i checked). The actual intercourse was about 5mins to 8mins max. About 3 weeks later on the 17th on Jan 2012, i woke up from bed feeling generally unwell but i just tought that it was because i did not have enough sleep the night before. However, i did started having fever at evening time on that day. I took some meds to kick the fever down but the day after, i started having severe diarrhea that lasted until today! Besides this, i'm contantly having bloated stomach, abdomial cramp and have loss 2 to 3KG since my diarrhea started. I went to see a doctor for my diarrhea but the antibiotics prescribe doesn't seem to be helping much. My questions are:

1) If oil base lub is used but the condom did not break, what are my chances of getting HIV from this single episode?

2) I am also worried the condom i used was lamb skin(but i'm not sure). How do i know/differentiate if the condom was really latex and not lamb skin? Is the texture different? does it also comes with a tip like latex as well? I'm not too clear now but i think i remember the condom i used have a tip.

pls help because i'm really freaking out now due to my severe diarrhea which i never had it so bad before. Other than HIV, i can't explain what other reason could be causing my diarrhea. What makes me more worrisome is because the CSW didn't even know the risk of using an oil base lub during intercourse! If sex is her job but she still don't know how to do it right, there is a higher risk she may be positive...whats worst is i read in other websites that mention oil lub makes latex loss its function even if it did not break...anyone, pls help give me some clear advice if i need to be worried or not. thanks again to everyone here.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Oil Lub with Condom, what are my risks?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »
If the condom did not break (and such breaks are obvious) you were completely protected against HIV.

Lambskin condoms are EXTREMELY hard to find, and MUCH more expensive than latex. They also look and feel VERY different. Trust me, you would notice that difference. A sex worker would never use one - not because of the lack of YOUR protection, but because it would leave HER open to STDs, including HIV.

The CSW might well have been using a polyurethane condom- as latex allergies are fairly common among people who regularly come into contact with the stuff.  Health care workers often develop allergies to the latex gloves, for example. Polyurethane condoms are almost indistinguishable from latex - but can be used with oil based lubrication.

FYI:
Stress can - and does - cause diarrhea.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worried88

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »
thanks jkinatl2 for your assurance.

Regarding latex condom and oil lub, does anyone know of any research ever done to conclude that the latex condom still does it's job well even with oil lub if it did not break? Sorry to dwell into this but i found contradicting comments from the web and its driving me nuts(some even mentioning about microscopic holes that the oil lub does on latex, others mentioning that a HIV test is needed just because Oil Lub is used, etc). Would just like to know the facts...

Anyone?

Thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »
thanks jkinatl2 for your assurance.

Regarding latex condom and oil lub, does anyone know of any research ever done to conclude that the latex condom still does it's job well even with oil lub if it did not break? Sorry to dwell into this but i found contradicting comments from the web and its driving me nuts(some even mentioning about microscopic holes that the oil lub does on latex, others mentioning that a HIV test is needed just because Oil Lub is used, etc). Would just like to know the facts...

Anyone?

Thanks again!
Condoms are classified as Medical Equipment and are regulated by the FDA. Condoms do not get microscopic holes that is a myth. Condoms are designed that if they should fail due to not being used correctly by the user they fail catastrophically.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:02:44 am »
Worried,

I agree with JK about the condom likely being polyurethane. One of the great things about polyurethane condoms is that you can use oil based lube and oil based lubes are much easier to find and often cheaper too.

Latex allergy or sensitivity is very common amongst people who regularly come into contact with the stuff, particularly if that contact is being made in sensitive areas like the genitals.

If a sex worker suffers from latex sensitivity, he or she is going to go with polyurethane as it is the only alternative to latex that protects against STIs and pregnancy.

They are not going to buy lambskin as lambskin only protects against pregnancy and as JK said, they're difficult to find, very expensive and feel VERY different. (they're made from animal intestine, so they feel like very thin, soft leather and there is absolutely no stretch factor in them)

Even if the condom was latex, it didn't break. As you've been told, condom breakage isn't about microscopic holes. That is an urban myth primarily put about by the Catholic church and picked up by others who should know better, hence its frequent appearance on the internet.

We don't base our risk assessments on urban legend here, we base risk assessments only on up-to-date hiv transmission science.

You did the right thing and used a condom for intercourse. You did not have a risk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST SPECIFICALLY OVER THIS SEX WORKER INCIDENT and you are therefore not in a window period, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried88

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:27:20 am »
RapidRod, Ann..thanks for your clarifications on the microscopic holes myth. I really do feel much better now and I owe it to you all ( jkinatl2 included ;) ) for clearing the doubts i had before.

I'm pretty sure now that it was not lambskin going by your descriptions; because the condom i used definitely have its stretch factor and when putting it on, it really didn't feel different from the latex i usually use. And yes, it might be polyurethane too(but i guess i'll never know exactly now). Maybe i was wrong about the CSW and she DOES know how to protect herself....my mistake for jumping into conclusion.

That being said, i guess i'm OK this time in terms of HIV infection. But since HIV is in my mind now, I think i'm going to take Ann's advice to get a full STI check-up in a couple of weeks time. The last time i did a full STI check-up was well over a year ago.

Ann, Rapidpod, and jkinatl2 (and Andy too), keep up the good work you are all doing here. Reading on so many worried people out there...they definitely owe their inner peace to you from all your countless clarification of their risks.

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
Worried,

You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear you'll be getting a full sexual health check up. Mark it on your calender and make sure you do it again in a year's time, or in six months time if you're very sexually active, particularly with several different people.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.