Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:34:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV from sharing a toothbrush  (Read 11956 times)

Offline TAX01

HIV from sharing a toothbrush
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:44:53 pm »
HI Everybody,

You guys are doing a wonderful job by helping people like us.
I am Indian living in US from last five years

I am extremely worried about this incident that happened four weeks ago in vegas. I got carried away and went to one of those message parlours. Th lady was nice , she immedialtely put a condom as soon as I got naked. Then we did vaginal sex and after 2 minutees I was feeling scared and I immedialtely asked her to stop, and the she gave me a oral sex with same condom and I ejculated in that. As far as the condom goes it was on the entire period of time. I don't think that it was broken or anything ahppened to the condom. But still I am worried about all the possible ways that her vaginal fluids must have touched my penis in someways and I might get infected with HIV.

As this was my first experience and I am quite terrified and scared of HIV as if that happens I will have to leave the country and go back home. This will be devastating as I have worked very hard in last five years to get to this position in my career.

I will highly appreciate if some one can help me out. Also I ahd my regular check up in January'05 and I also had my HIV test done and it was negative at that time.

I am thinking of going for a test next week, as I have read at manny places that HIV test done after 5 weeks  is quite encouraging.

Hope to get reply from you guys as soon as possible.

Love all for doing a great job....

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Very worried regarding the exposure
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:49:24 pm »
There was no risk in the incident that you described. Condoms  provide excellent protection against HIv, and very good protection against other STDs as well.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline TAX01

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:01:02 pm »
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your reply. So do you think I should go for a test or I should just relax as there was no risk in the situation. Once again thank you for your quick reply.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 07:44:53 pm »
There is no reason to test in your situation. You had protected sex.

Offline TAX01

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 07:55:09 pm »
HI Rapid Rod,

Just a question then why so manny poeple say that even you have used condom you are at low risk of getting HIV. I mean why there is a discrepancy in regards to no risk situation and low risk. As most people like me will then start thinking low risk means that there was a chance of getting HIV. Sorry but just wanted to calrify the point.
Appreciate your response. Thank You

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:58:27 pm »
Mfgs. of condoms will not put no risk on their product due to liability issues that would result in lawsuits. If a comdom was used correctly like with you, there is NO RISK of contracting HIV.

Offline TAX01

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 08:51:25 pm »
so I should not be worried about HIV, as i am really scraed of ARS symptoms. I keep on checking my body temperature and seee if there are any rashes on my body. Also I keep on thinking about the whole event and try to analyse that whether there was any hole in the condom or was there any vaginal fluid on my penis after the event.
Sorry for asking the question one more time as i am quite confused with these ARS symptoms and that whether I should go for the test next wek or not.

Thank You all

Offline TAX01

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 10:08:04 am »
Plz someone help me I am going crazy as i think i have the symptoms of ARS. I am not sure wht it is bu I keep on thinking regarding holes in the condoms and things like that. I don;t even know wht are ARS symptoms and what generally occcurs when they come.

Will highly appreciate you comments .

Thanking You

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:48:38 am »
Hello TAX,

I had a similar situation as yours... I had protected sex with a sex worker around 7 weeks ago. Just like you, I freaked out like an idiot, and had pains and aches which turned out to be imaginary after all...

I got tested at 4 and 6 weeks with a Complete Blood Count Report and everything is normal, and most importantly HIV-Negative.

Believe in what the experts here(Ann, Andy, JK, etc...) say: if you USED a CONDOM, you do NOT have HIV.

I had a hard times believing in that myself, as I took the hard anxious way by personally proving it!

Enjoy being a US resident... you are HIV NEGATIVE!

Offline TAX01

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 01:20:38 pm »
Thnx for your enciuragement,

Regardless I am still worried over the incident and I think I will go for the test in the next weeek as I will be completing 5 weeks after my exposure.

I am just scared of that the vaginal fluids might have touched the base of my penis which was not covered by the condom. These things bother me a lot and I am hardly able to concentarte at my work in the office.

Hope so my test turns negative otherwise i am in deep trouble with my career and social problems as in india people are treated differently when you have HIV, it is not like here in US

Once again thnx for all your support

Offline TAX01

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 06:12:01 pm »
HI everyone,

As jonathan and rapid rod said I don't have any risk of HIV , Please ann and andy reply so does that mean I am ok as far as HIV is concerned.
Will desperately wait for your reply

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 07:16:50 pm »
Tax,

You did not have a risk of hiv infection. Condoms are very effective when it comes to hiv prevention.

Keep using those condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Check out the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline TAX01

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 08:00:22 pm »
Thank You Ann,

So do you think taht I need a test or it is just fine and I should move on with my life.

I had tested in Jan 06 for insurance and also I had my full physical check up and everything cam back negative.
I do it once in year.
Once again thank you very much for your answer as it brings some light of encouragement. You guys are doing a wonderful job and I wish we had guys like you in india to help people out with HIV information

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 08:21:05 pm »
No matter what scary scenarios your head may continue to churn up, there is no basis in HIV science for you to be worried about. Condoms provide very effective protection.

You were absolutely not at risk for HIV transmission in this incident.

Make sure that everytime you have intercourse you're wearing a latex condom and you'll be fine as far as HIV is concerned.  And there's absolutely no need for testing in relation to this incident.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 08:25:46 pm »
Tax,

When people tell you  that you had no risk of hiv infection, it goes without saying that you don't need to test over this incident. Why would you, when you didn't have a risk?

No risk = no test.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline TAX01

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:41:33 pm »
THnx a million for your answers,

Will try to relax or resort to counselling as that might help to ally my fears in my head,

Regards,
TAx

Offline TAX01

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 01:42:17 pm »
Hi to everyone,

just one last question for you experts, if I would have to sero convert I would have convereted by now since I a m going to complete five weeks on Monday, inspite of the no risk assesement by all of you I am still worried about HIV. I think that if she must have used a lambskin condom then surely I would get infected as I have read that they do not provide protection against HIV. These things make me crazy and I keep on looking at symptoms of ARS in my body. Even though I don't have any fever or rashes and I am alright as far health is concernmed. I am worried that if I have HIV my life is going to end there then itself .

Will wait for answer from you guys,

Once again thank you very much for helping me out!!!

You guys are great!!!

Offline joejoe

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 02:46:05 pm »
TAX01,

I know exactly how you feel!!!! I am/was scared too....it comes in awful phases. But one thing I have is the experts (at least so far) telling me I was at no risk:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=868.0

FYI, I had sex with a condom with a sex trade worked like you except I had open cuts and bleeding all around my pubic area due to the fact that I had just shaven it. The experts say that even in my situation I have 0 risk for HIV. So since you had no cuts like me, and you used a condom you should be at ease ........

I also encourage you to read the welcome thread as the people did a great job in putting together the information. I have learned alot about HIV in this process.....yes, I was ignorant myself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:48:09 pm by joejoe »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 02:59:47 pm »
Tax, seek a mental heath professional for your needs. The sex worker as you call them would not put out the money for lambs skin to begin with.

Offline TAX01

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 08:11:44 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thnx rapid road for your reply, anyways just want to get this thing over i am going for a test tommrrow, will let you guys know about the results. Just hoping to get a negative result which will atleast give me some sight of hope. I know that this test won't be definitive and I need to test again at 13 weeks.

Just praying to get a negative results.

Thnx once again for your help and co operation

Love you all

Offline TAX01

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 07:48:04 pm »
Hi guys,

went for the test and as Ann had told I went for entire STD test including HIV. Results will be avilable in two to three days. I hope it is negative just getting scared and in a state of panic.

Will give you guys an update on the situation.

Thnx for your support and useful facts about HIV

Love you all !!

Offline TAX01

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 11:00:47 am »
Hi Everyone,

I got my results and everything was negative. What a relief,
Well I know my 5 week results are not difinitive but atleast it gives me some encouragement. Can someone tell me how reliable is 5 week results.

Will wait for rereply from you experts.

Thnx very much

Offline manlydiaz

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 11:43:24 am »
you have to wait atleast 3 months before you can get an accurate test result!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 12:13:59 pm »
you have to wait atleast 3 months before you can get an accurate test result!

For the original poster, there was no need for an HIV test as the sex was protected.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline TAX01

Re: HIV from sharing a toothbrush
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 08:16:30 pm »
HI Everyone,

I was here last year , but this time again with a new query and new worries, Recently I went to strip club and I sucked one of the girl's nipples. I am scared of hiv as after few minutes she showed me that a drop of milk comes ot of her breast , she also clarified that she was not nursing and that white dicharge comes from one breast as she is on birth control pills, I am worried of HIV as during that time I had one huge canker sore in my mouth and I am worried about HIv transmission. Please help me guys, i am jut worried,
Thank You all
Tax

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:33 pm »
Tax,

Thank you for returning to your original thread.

No matter what the discharge from her breast might have been, you were not at risk of contracting HIV from that encounter even though you had a canker sore.

I would suggest that you take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

This is not a risk situation.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 09:16:21 am »
No matter what you sucked from her nipple it did not put you at risk for HIV transmission.

What you need to be concerned about in terms of HIV transmission is vaginal or anal intercourse. As long as you consistently use condoms for intercourse you are "covered." Condoms provide very effective protection. Transmission doesn't happen by your sucking a nipple. 
Andy Velez

Offline TAX01

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
Thank You very much , matt and andy,

but i still worry as breast milk is known to transmit HIV among infants , but i was not sure about the adults, thinking about this secnario just makes me worried, hope everything is fine ,I just worry about what, if's and can't sleep in the night with HIV transmission on my head

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
You're beginning to persuade me that maybe you ought to see a counselor or other mental health professional to discuss your concerns about HIV transmission. They have no basis in HIV science but I believe you when you say how stressed you are. Talking it all out in a safe setting might be helpful to you. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.