Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:42:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A place to start-Originally by Steven  (Read 29576 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
A place to start-Originally by Steven
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:53 pm »
The following info was posted by Steven a while back. And I hope he doesn't mind, but I copied and pasted it to this nutritional forum, as it has a lot of excellant information in it.

From Steven :

WHY IS NUTRITION IMPORTANT?
Good nutrition means getting enough macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients contain calories (energy): proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. They help you maintain your body weight. Micronutrients include vitamins and minerals. They keep your cells working properly, but will not prevent weight loss.
Good nutrition can be a problem for many people with HIV. When your body fights any infection, it uses more energy and you need to eat more than normal. But when you feel sick, you eat less than normal.
Some medications can upset your stomach, and some opportunistic infections can affect the mouth or throat. This makes it difficult to eat. Also, some medications and infections cause diarrhea. If you have diarrhea, your body actually uses less of what you eat.
When you lose weight, you might be losing fat, or you might be losing lean body weight like muscle. If you lose too much lean weight, your body chemistry changes. This condition is called wasting syndrome or cachexia. Wasting can kill you. If you lose more than 5% of your body weight, it could be a sign of wasting. Discuss it with your doctor.

NUTRITION GUIDELINES FOR PEOPLE WITH HIV
First, eat more. Extra muscle weight will help you fight HIV. This is very important. Many people want to lose weight, but for people with HIV, it can be dangerous.
Make sure you eat plenty of protein and starches, with moderate amounts of fat.
Protein helps build and maintain your muscles. Meats, fish, beans, nuts, and seeds are good sources.
Carbohydrates give you energy. Complex carbohydrates come from grains, cereals, vegetables, and fruits. They are a "time release" energy source and are a good source of fiber and nutrients. Simple carbohydrates, or sugars give you quick energy. You can get sugars in fresh or dried fruit, honey, jam, or syrups.
Fat gives you extra energy. You need some - but not too much. The "monounsaturated" fats in nuts, seeds, canola and olive oils, and fish are considered "good" fats. The "saturated" fats in butter and animal products are "bad" fats.
A moderate exercise program will help your body turn your food into muscle. Take it easy, and work exercise into your daily activities.
Drinking enough liquids is very important when you have HIV. Extra water can reduce the side effects of medications. It can help you avoid a dry mouth and constipation. Remember that drinking tea, coffee, colas, chocolate, or alcohol can actually make you lose body liquid.

PRACTICE FOOD SAFETY
It's very important to protect yourself against infections that can be carried by food or water.
Be sure to wash your hands before preparing food, and keep all of your kitchen tools and work areas clean. Wash all fruits and vegetables carefully. Don't eat raw or undercooked eggs or meat, and clean up juices from raw meat quickly. Keep leftovers refrigerated and eat them within three days. Check the expiration date on foods. Don't buy them or eat them if they're outdated.
Some germs are spread through tap water. If your public water supply isn't totally pure, drink bottled water.

WHAT ABOUT SUPPLEMENTS?
Some people find it difficult to go shopping and prepare meals all the time. Supplements can help you maintain your body weight and get the vitamins and minerals you need. Don't use a product designed to help you lose weight, even if it says it contains everything needed for good nutrition! Your health care provider can help you choose a supplement that's right for you.

THE BOTTOM LINE
Good nutrition is very important for people with HIV. When you are HIV-positive, you will need to increase the amount of food you eat and maintain your lean body weight.
Be sure to eat a balanced diet, including plenty of protein and whole grain foods, with some sugar and fat. An exercise program will help build and maintain muscle.
Drink plenty of liquids to help your body deal with any medications you are taking.
Practice food safety. Keep your kitchen clean, wash foods, and be careful about food preparation and storage. If your tap water isn't pure, drink bottled water.
If you feel you need to use nutritional supplements, be sure to get some expert advice from your health care provider.

WHY ARE VITAMINS AND MINERALS IMPORTANT?
Vitamins and minerals are sometimes called micronutrients. Our bodies need them, in small amounts, to support the chemical reactions our cells need to live. Different nutrients affect digestion, the nervous system, thinking, and other body processes.

Micronutrients can be found in many foods. Healthy people might be able to get enough vitamins and minerals from their food. People with HIV or another illness need more micronutrients to help repair and heal cells. Also, many medications can create shortages of different nutrients.

WHAT ARE ANTIOXIDANTS?
Some molecules in the body are in a form called oxidized. These molecules are also called free radicals. They react very easily with other molecules, and can damage cells. High levels of free radicals seem to cause a lot of the damage associated with aging.
Free radicals are produced as part of normal body chemistry. Antioxidants are molecules that can stop free radicals from reacting with other molecules. This limits the damage they do. Several nutrients are antioxidants.
Antioxidants are important for people with HIV, because HIV infection leads to higher levels of free radicals. Also, free radicals can increase the activity of HIV. Higher levels of antioxidants can slow down the virus and help repair some of the damage it does.

HOW MUCH DO I NEED?
You might think that all you have to do to get enough vitamins and minerals is to take a "one-a-day" multivitamin pill. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The amounts of micronutrients in many of these pills are based on the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) set by the US government. The problem with the RDAs is that they are not the amounts of micronutrients that are needed by people with HIV. Instead, they are the minimum amounts needed to prevent shortages in healthy people. HIV disease and many AIDS medications can use up some nutrients. One study of people with HIV showed that they needed between 6 and 25 times the RDA of some nutrients! Still, a high potency multivitamin is a good way to get basic micronutrients.

WHICH NUTRIENTS ARE IMPORTANT?
There has not been a lot of research on specific nutrients and HIV disease. Also, many nutrients interact with each other. Most nutritionists believe in designing an overall program of supplements.
People with HIV may benefit from taking supplements of the following vitamins and minerals:
B Vitamins: Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin), and Folate (Folic Acid).
Antioxidants, including beta-carotene (the body breaks down beta-carotene to make Vitamin A), selenium, Vitamin E (Tocopherol), and Vitamin C.
Magnesium and Zinc

WHAT ABOUT OTHER SUPPLEMENTS?
In addition to vitamins and minerals, some nutritionists suggest that people with HIV take supplements of other nutrients:
Acidophilus, a bacterium that grows naturally in the intestines, helps with digestion.
Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that may help with neuropathy and mental problems.
Coenzyme Q10 may help with immune function.
Essential fatty acids found in evening primrose oil or flaxseed oil can help with dry skin and scalp.
N-Acetyl-Cysteine, an antioxidant, can help maintain body levels of glutathione. Glutathione is one of the body's main antioxidants.

CAN NUTRIENTS BE HARMFUL?
Most vitamins and nutrients appear to be safe as supplements, even at levels higher than the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs). However, some can cause problems at higher doses, including Vitamin A, Vitamin D, copper, iron, niacin, selenium, and zinc.
A basic program of vitamin and mineral supplementation should be safe. This would include the following, all taken according to directions on the bottle:
A multiple vitamin/mineral (without extra iron),
An antioxidant supplement with several different ingredients, and
A trace element supplement. There are seven essential trace elements: chromium, copper, cobalt, iodine, iron, selenium, and zinc. Some multivitamins also include trace elements.
Any other program of supplements should be based on discussion with a doctor or nutritionist. Remember that higher price may not mean better quality.

-------------------------
Steven 

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline water duck

Re: A place to start-Originally by Steven
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:55:05 am »
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

That's very thoughtful, J.R.E.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:00:14 pm »
Ray, a belated thanks to both you and Steven for your insights into nutrition (which I believe is still an underutilized weapon against this battle).

I have incorporated several of the tips from the old message boards successfully into my diet and am doing well.

With great appreciation,
John

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:45:23 pm »
Great Idea JRE, this is an excellent start for the Nutrition Forum. I've always appreciated Steven's information on nutrition and I hope he continues to post here... Nutrition is becoming my main focus lately and I really value the unique opportunity to be a part of an HIV related nutrition forum.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Bartro

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:16:09 pm »
Such sound advice.  I would like to mention something a bit controversial.  Organic foods.  A number of years ago a company that produced organic juices managed to kill a number of people mainly in California.  It seems, at the time, they didn't bother to pasteurize their juices.  Some of their apples were contaminated with horse feces.  The result was a massive outbreak of e-coli.  Other instances come to mind.  In Japan a large number of students became ill from eating organic sprouts that were grown in contaminated water.  In Milwaukee there was an outbreak of crypto from tap water.  I lost a friend with HIV to this outbreak.  Be very careful about organics.  Some imported organic teas have been found to be contaminated with lead and mercury.  I'd rather have a cup of Lipton any day.  One of three chickens sold is contaminated with harmful bacteria.  Make sure you cook them very well, and as mentioned above use sanitary practices.  Don't make homemade salad dressing or milkshakes that use raw eggs.  You're just asking for trouble.  You don't really need to buy bottled water.  If you are concerned with your tap water containing organic contaminates boiling for 1 minute will kill most of those nasty bugs.

There is risk in almost all the food we eat, but we can minimize it by being thoughtful and cautious. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 06:44:05 pm by Bartro »
Rusty

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:25:17 pm »
I would like to mention something a bit controversial.  Organic foods.  A number of years ago a company that produced organic juices managed to kill a number of people mainly in California.  It seems, at the time, they didn't bother to pasturize their juices.  Some of their apples were contaminated with horse feces.  The result was a massive outbreak of e-coli.  Other instances come to mind.  In Japan a large number of students became ill from eating organic sprouts that were grown in contaminated water.  

Thank you. This is definitely good "food for thought". So many people out there automatically think organic = creme de la creme

Ray, a belated thanks to both you and Steven for your insights into nutrition (which I believe is still an underutilized weapon against this battle).

Underutilized and underestimated!!

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 06:28:35 am »
Wow, What a surprise!
I go away for a few months and things have changed yet I find my post from 2004 sitting here in the new forums.
Thanks Ray for reposting it here.  I know there are many people who come in here without knowing which way to go after finding out they have this virus in their body.

The website I put up a few years ago with a more detailed listing of several vitamins and supplements that can be helpful to many of us is still there at this web site. http://qbmtz180.tripod.com/ It has been awhile since I have done anything with it.  Life has me busy with traveling lately.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 10:55:21 am »
Steven:

It's so good to see you back.  I also was going to post your old thread on nutrition but Ray beat me to the punch.  No problem.  I'm just glad you haven't left us.

robert

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 01:05:54 pm »
I'm still around Robert, I usually can check in here when I am at work but have been fairly busy with traveling lately.

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 04:38:46 am »
Yea, thanks Ray.
I'm clueless on what I personally need to take, so I do take a one-a-day multi and now fish oil pill. I know a guy that takes some 17 pills/suppliments. He also has a cd4 of 900 now and was at 85 cd4 back in 95. He's been undetectable too since on meds but has a wasting look to him, even though he has the energy of a horse. His doc recently changed his meds to the newer ones since it was probably those eariler meds that caused the wasting look. But I think poping some 17 pills a day, besides the meds, would make me sick...?
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 05:18:01 pm »
He's been undetectable too since on meds but has a wasting look to him, even though he has the energy of a horse.

that's unfortunate. 17 supplements!!!  :o :o Goodness gracious.

i understand the clueless feeling because let's face it, the choices seem endless. but every single man, woman and child has got gut microflora, thus my personal stance is this: probiotics are universally beneficial - and IMHO they're very important if you've ever taken antibiotics, which the majority of adults have. i'm no doctor so i must say my words are based on personal laymans experience. seems like for a lot of people, when they take probiotics, diarrhea improves significantly if not enormously (maybe probiotics and diarrhea are archenemies or something)

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 08:34:35 am »
But I think poping some 17 pills a day, besides the meds, would make me sick...?

Depending on what the body needed, the 17 vitamins/supplements he took added what the body needed and expelled the rest that was not necessary.
It certainly did not cause the wasting look.

I have friends who find it difficult to swallow one pill and others like myself who can put everything in one glass and swallow it all at once.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 05:49:43 pm »
Time to bring this girl back to the top.  It's one of the best Nutritional Threads we have. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 04:56:49 pm »
Nutrition has become an issue with me and has left me with the question of what to do. I have read the post that someone reposted from Steven. Here lies my dilemma, I am diabetic. I have to watch the amount of starches I take in. I love green tea and mentioned it to my doc, he said to me that it would not be good for me because of the caffeine. I have been drinking pepsi for the longest and thought that the tea would be good for me. I have also started drinking Tropicana orange juice for immune defense but also wonders how that affects my diabetes. I take 3 pills for my diabetes, glucophage, glypizide, and advandia. Suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 02:04:42 pm »
I'm bumping this topic back to the top of the page.  As Ray pointed out, Steven first posted this about 4 or 5 years ago on the old forums.It's as relevant now as it was then.

Steven also has a website called A PLACE  TO START which has some important information about different supplements/vitamins that help people with HIV in various ways.

robert

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.