Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:11:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 493
Total: 494

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cost of meds in Canada?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline vetton

Cost of meds in Canada?
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:01:32 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm based in Australia but considering moving to Canada for a year...just cos, something new and exciting  :D 
I haven't started taking medication yet but in the event that I need to start, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a rough estimate of the cost for meds in Canada?? Or point me to a reliable resource to find out more, as I've been unsuccessful so far. 
Medication is free here, so I haven't had to worry about cost in the future but it would be a consideration else where.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Cheers Everyone. 

Offline jackfrost

Re: Cost of meds in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:17:02 pm »
Hi Vetton,

I live in Canada, my understanding is it depends on which province you live in. I live in Alberta and our provincial health care covers HIV drugs 100% no matter what your income is. I believe in British Columbia it is free as well but most other provinces you pay based on your income. I am not a 100% sure, but I know it varies from province to province. You can check out this website: http://www.catie.ca/treating-hiv/access-hiv-and-hepatitis-c-drugs-federal-provincial-and-territorial-drug-access-program - it breaks down health care coverage by province

Offline vetton

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:06:56 pm »
Hey Jack,

Thanks heaps for the link. Very helpful indeed.

Cheers :D

MilburnCreek

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00:13 pm »
One BIG problem though - the Canadian health service covers drugs for those ALREADY in Canada.  For immigration purposes, Canada actually excludes those who will be a drain on the health system - and that means an almost 100% shut door on those who are already HIV Poz immigrating to Canada from elsewhere (I know, I tried...)

Offline Valmont

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:19:47 pm »
I was HIV+ when Canada gave me my permanent residence; I´m sorry for you Milburn, in my case I´ve been very lucky...  I correct, in regard to immigration matter, what seems important for them is to have good number (that means not being under meds) because of HIV cost for their insurance system...  In this forum, I undestand there are a few people in my situation (I know one more...)

From what I can read, I have better acccess to HIV meds here in Ecuador that I can have in Canada.  My Atripla Generic is free of charge and I don´t pay for doctor and other labs.  By another way, medecine is really basic here, we don´t have access to all antiretroviral meds (no Isentress for ej.), no resistance tests (done it by my own, very costy) are done, no vitamine matters are looked for and so on... 

I´m not yet in Canada, when I´ll move, I know I won´t have medical coverture for at least 3 months, there is a time for the public insurance to be avalaible.
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline james3000

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:33:22 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.