Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:41:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 199
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible Exposure - non-penatrative  (Read 5635 times)

Offline UK_in_Oz

Possible Exposure - non-penatrative
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:12 am »
Hi, 19 days following possible exposure to HIV (brief unprotected vaginal intercourse with a CSW in Bangkok) i went to the sexual health clinic in Perth, Australia for the standard STD checks. I wasnt expecting them to test for HIV at that point as i thought there was no point in testing until 3 months after exposure, but the nurse taking my blood said they test during the window period as well and that they had never had a false positive or false negative.

When i went to collect my results today i was negative for all my tests including the HIV. When i asked the doctor how accurate the test was at this stage he didnt really seem to know and didnt really know what sort of test i had taken (he was a very old doctor and seemed a bit old school). He advised coming back for another test in 9 weeks for confirmation.

When i looked at the results sheet it said 'HIV 1 and 2 antigen/antibody'. Would this test have been for the standard antibody test (and therefore pointless at this stage) or can it help to detect the HIV virus earlier, during the window period? And if so, how much can i read into this negative result?

I fully intend to take the 3 month test to put my mind at rest once and for all and i apologise if im covering old ground but id just like some advice on the test i have just taken, as the doctors couldnt really seem to give me much! lol

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Antigen/Antibody Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:02 am »
Hi,

The P24 antigen test can pick up infection in the first very few weeks after an exposure. So a negative with that is reassuring.

But ultimately to be absolutely certain about your negative status your plan is a good one, because not until you've tested negative at 13 weeks can you be sure.

Bear in mind that HIV is not easily transmitted from female to male and yours was a single incident. That puts the odds in your favor against transmission having occured if in fact the woman was HIV+.

You do need to learn from this experience. Lower risk is not the same as no-risk. And HIV is forever once you have it. You can have intercourse with anyone regardless of their status. You just need to do it the safer way which means always without exception using a condom everytime for vaginal or anal intercourse.

Good luck with your test.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:27:40 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline UK_in_Oz

Possible Exposure - non-penatrative
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
Ok, bit worried about this. I had what I meant to be and thought was protective sex with an African sex worker in Dubai. The problem is, I was pretty drunk and had to keep stopping and changing condoms a few times. Between changing condoms on one occasion she was on top of me and we were rubbing our genitals together. As far as I could tell (and it's usually pretty obvious with no condom) I didn't penetrate her, but when we stopped after 5 mins or so my penis was very wet with her fluids, on the head and both sides of the shaft. I word off and then put another condom on.

Would it be possible for my penis to be so wet with her fluids without penetration? If it was just vaginal secretions, what would my risk be? We had been going at it for quit a while before the incident I describe.

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:30:13 am by UK_in_Oz »

Offline UK_in_Oz

Re: Possible Exposure - non-penatrative
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:21:01 pm »
Sorry, 'word off' should be stopped. Damn predictive text.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »
Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »
It is quite possible for your penis to be that wet without penetration.

The situation as you described it sounds perfectly safe insofar as HIV is concerned.

However, it is concerning that you were so drunk you don't remember. Might want to watch that in the future. It would be a real shame to acquire a lifelong infection and not even remember the event that caused it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline UK_in_Oz

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very drunk really and changed condoms a couple of times, more concerned with how wet my penis was. My immediate reaction was that penetration must have occured by I'm pretty sure I would have noticed with no condom. I will get tested regardless but good to get opinion on this as it's a new situation for me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »
UK,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

What you engaged in in-between protected intercourse is called frottage and frottage is not a risk for hiv infection. You are worrying over nothing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline UK_in_Oz

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:33:06 am »
Apologies, I hadnt read the posting guidelines. Thanks for your responses. So even though my penis was covered with her vaginal fluid (including the head), I wouldnt be at risk from that? Is that because HIV can only be transmitted by vaginal fluid when contacted within the vagina instead of just outside it?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:29 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:44:58 am »

Is that because HIV can only be transmitted by vaginal fluid when contacted within the vagina instead of just outside it?

That is correct.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline UK_in_Oz

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:49 am »
Thanks for the advice. Im gonna test anyway because im not convinced I didnt penetrate her slightly (because of how wet my penis was afterwards) but good to know my risk was zero if indeed no penetration took place.

I will update with results.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »
OK. ...and I do expect you will test negative.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.