Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3343 times)

Offline matt28781

Hi
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:28:45 pm »
Hi folks.

my name is Matt and i live in the UK let me start by saying this is a amazing site and from what i have seen so far all the people are amazing.

so...about 6-7 years ago i was a fool and slept with about two girls unprotected, back then HIV/AIDS never came into my head i was never educated on this virus at school etc.

after a few years i became paranoid over HIV but always ignored the fact i was exposed and got on with my days. every once in a while it would pop back into my head and stress me out for a few weeks then i would forget again and go about my life.

since then i have settled with my gf who i have been with for 6 years and its always been protected sex apart from the condom breaking twice...which puts her at risk.

anyway in the past 6 years i have had a few symptoms(i know aids has no symptoms) but i have  had swollen nodes lose stools and fatigue on and off for 6 years maybe a little longer.

anyway iv finally got the courage to get tested..i was annoyed at the clinic as they made me book an appointment a week before my test don't these people know how frustrating that is.

could anyone tell me in the UK what type of test will they do..i don't think i could stand waiting weeks for my blood results..already lost weight and sleep over worry.

once again...truly amazing site and keep up the good work
BTW my test is on Monday..and I'm very scared.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:58 pm »
Matt,

The UK, like everywhere else in the developed world, uses latest generation ELISA antibody testing and I doubt you'll have to wait weeks for the results. It usually only takes a few days.

The likelihood that you've been infected from those unprotected encounters is very very low. HIV is a fragile virus which is difficult to transmit especially from female to male. I really think you're going to come out of this just fine.

MtD

Offline matt28781

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:39:13 pm »
thank you for the reply Matty.

could the clinic do a rapid test if i asked for one..i understand a full test would also need to be done for confirmation?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:03:21 pm »
Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if rapid testing is offered in the UK (I'm Australian). If it is then go for it. A negative result on a rapid test (after the expiration of the 3 month window period) won't need confirming by any other means, it will be conclusive. Only positive ELISA test results require further confirmatory testing.

MtD

Offline matt28781

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:36:09 pm »
just a quick update.

got verbal confirmation today that the HIV is neg. so i guess i have to put the years of Diarrhoea and sinusitis and skin rashes down to different things which i think I'm having a hard time doing to be honest.

i did ask to see the results but the clinic want £30 fee for a print off. isn't it my right to see them? i found that slightly strange....I'm going to make a docs appointment to discuss the possibility of IBS and possible treatments.

anyway I'm so glad i found this site the people are amazing very nice people i have to say...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.