Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 257
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 259
Total: 259

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risks, or not?  (Read 8796 times)

Offline allgoodthings1

Risks, or not?
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:13:25 pm »
Hello all, I'm here to ask if any of these situations are risk factors for HIV. (I probably should have asked this a few months earlier so that I could have educated myself properly before letting my mind go into worry mode. It seems like I keep having "risks" happen to myself, and then I convince myself that I could have contracted HIV even when it might not even be possible. Thanks in advance for your advice, it is very appreciated.

1. This is the situation I seem to keep finding contradictory information for: Years ago while at school I was slightly pricked/poked by some sort of thin and sharp object (Maybe a pin? Or it could have been a needle, I'm not sure) in my back. It went through my shirt (I only mention that because I assume that might have wiped off any virus that could have been on the tip or what not). I don't remember having to stop any bleeding or anything of that sort, but it was years ago so I'm not sure. I have been to the CDC website, and they make it seem like this IS a risk factor, but then later on they contradict that by saying there has NEVER been a case of HIV transmission outside of a healthcare setting. So is it a risk, or not? (I have also read that people have claimed to be infected from needlestick injuries in the community setting, but I obviously know these aren't instances investigated by the CDC, et al.)

2. The 2nd situation involves sexual contact that wasn't intercourse or oral sex. With my most recent ex-girlfriend I had partaken in open-mouth kissing, she had touched my penis on a couple of occasions, and I had sucked on her breasts on a few occasions as well. I had never noticed any blood or open wounds anywhere with any of these instances. The only reason I bring these instances up is that the CDC for some reason claims that you can transmit HIV though open-mouth kissing (all based on one unproven case with people who were drug users...). Anyways, I never for sure knew this girls HIV-status, so I thought I might as well ask if those activities were risks for transmission.

3. Is it possible to get HIV from drinking a frozen drink that might have some contaminated blood in it? I recently got a lemon frozen drink that had some specks of red in it, but when I asked them later they said it was just dried up strawberry specks that sometimes linger on the blender. But if it WAS for some reason blood, would that even be a risk?

4. Would it be possible to get HIV if you used scissors (that an HIV-infected accidentally knicked themselves with earlier on in the day) to cut some ribbon, if you had put the end of the ribbon where it was cut inside your mouth? What if you directly knicked your own skin with the same scissors?

5. If you left a drink unattended, is there anyway that it could somehow become contaminated by an HIV+ person to the point that you could get HIV from drinking the contents either by glass-to-mouth or with a straw?

Thanks for any advice. If the answer to all of my questions is that none of these are risk factors, I'm hoping I'll be able to "let go" of my fear of HIV all by myself. If I can't do that though, I do have a contact for a therapist that I will be able to work with thankfully. I haven't gotten tested yet because I keep experiencing things that I interpret as risks, therefore I keep having to "wait 3 months". And I also don't want to get tested if I don't even need to!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:01:22 pm by allgoodthings1 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Risks, or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:20:36 pm »
Read the lessons section on transmission.You'll find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:46:47 pm »
I did read the lessons article, but it focuses mostly on intercourse and about how oral sex isn't a risk, but neither of those relate to me... It doesn't really mention anythiing either way about needlesticks and all this so I just thought I'd ask about all of these specifically since all of your expert and experienced opinions would give me peace of mind.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:03:22 pm »
You did NOT have a risk, being stuck by a pin or a sewing needle.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »
Those other items weren't overlooked in the transmission lesson. They're not there because they aren't risks for transmission. Period.

You are worrying needlessly. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:57:28 am »
Thank you for your responses, that's good to hear that those aren't transmission risks.

Since I've never had any risky situations happen to me, the only "risk" left could be mother-to-child transmission. Would it be possible for my dad to have gotten HIV while he fought in the Vietnam War, and then infected my mom, who could have passed it to me during birth? I don't know either of their HIV status, but I do know that they do both have Hepatitis C (my dad got it while he was in the Vietnam War).

I know they say HIV wasn't "discovered" until 1983, but that doesn't mean it wasn't around back in the early 70's...?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:31:39 am by allgoodthings1 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:38:25 am »
Seek out the help of a mental health professional.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 08:44:20 am »
We're not here to indulge you in an endless number of "what ifs" such as this Vietnam scenario you've come up with.

Like Rod I am beginning to be convinced you need to see a counselor or other such professional. Otherwise you just have way too much time on your hands and need to get productively busy in your life.

You don't have an HIV situation. Period. End of story.

Keep this up and you're going to get a time out from this site. 

Andy Velez

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 03:50:49 pm »
Your responses helped me to finally start letting go of my irrational fears.

But now I'm scared of a situation I had earlier today since I saw an actual cut on their skin.

I was buying fast food, and the worker at the first window (where you pay) had 2 small cuts on one of their fingers (the cuts looked like they had at least "dried up"). I handed him the dollars and the coins and tried not to touch that part of his hand when I noticed the cuts, but I can't be sure I didn't. I looked at both of my hands when I got home and I didn't notice any cuts or wounds, but I'm still really freaked out because he had cuts without a bandaid on them. Is there any risk with this? I'm also a cashier at a store, so is there ever a risk for transmission of HIV if I an exchanging money, or making hand-to-hand contact with someone when we both have cuts on our hands?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:59:40 pm by allgoodthings1 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 04:02:08 pm »
Before you ever post again read the lesson on transmission. You will find the link in the "Welcome" thread at the top of the page. No you can not contract HIV from making or receiving change.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:02:27 pm »
HIV is not transmitted through the environment.  It is only transmitted INSIDE the human body.  Please read the lessons on how HIV is actually transmitted so  you can get through your day to day without irrational fears.

Good luck.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:14 am »
Yes, I had read the transmission lesson, as well as transmission information from many other websites.

I mentioned my apparent fear of blood to a couple people, and they mentioned that they see cashiers/workers all the time in with dried up scabs, cuts, etc. without bandaids covering them, and they never think twice about it. Whew!

I guess it's hard for a lot of people (including me) to get it through their minds that HIV is only transmitted through un-protected sex/injection drug use/blood transfusions. It just seems too "simple" for those to be the only routes!

Out of curiousity, have there ever been any studies done to figure out how much blood is needed to transmit HIV in the first place? It seems like there's a lot of people (including myself) who thought that if any little tiny amount of blood somehow got inside your body, you would have a "chance" to be infected. Obviously common sense says this isn't possible since we would have noticed this mode of transmission by now, but I was wondering if they've ever looked into the blood-amount thing.

Thanks for all your replies, I can't imagine how you all do this day after day.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:25:17 am by allgoodthings1 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:58:13 am »
all,

Unless you're in the habit of rescuing people from car wrecks when you have a deep, fresh cut yourself, then you really don't need to worry about this blood thing. It would take a veritable blood-bath for transmission to occur and you would also have to have a fresh, deep cut. We know this through over 25 years of experience.

Not only is hiv very fragile and unable to remain viable in the environment outside the human body, but it can only latch on to very specific cells, cells that are just not found in the outer surfaces of the skin.

Make sure you always use condoms. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms and don't share drug injecting equipment and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple, and if it weren't, there would be more people who were hiv positive than not.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 12:03:00 am »
All the advice has really helped me to not have any HIV-fear and OCD toward having contact with people in public.

Also, I know this forum isn't for Hep C, but I figured I'd try and ask this anyways since you all might have some experience with it. Both of my parents have Hep C, and I want to make sure I protect myself against it, since I know it is much easier to transmit than HIV. My question is:  When they say that HCV can live outside the body for up to 4 days, does that mean that it also remains infectious? If I were to get a little bit of dried blood on my hand, and then touched a mucous membrane on my body, could I be at risk for infecting myself? Or would there have to be fresh blood that comes into contact with a fresh wound? (If you guys don't have experience with Hep C, do you know of an informative and legit website like this one where I could ask a question like this?)

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:10:08 am »
all,

The main route of hep C infection is through sharing drug injecting equipment. Straws used for snorting drugs have also been implicated. Another route is unprotected sexual intercourse where where the sex is rough and draws blood. Other than this, you are not going to become infected with hep C through normal, day to day activities or casual contact.

Following good hygiene practices such as not sharing your personal items like razors will also keep you safe from hep C. As for blood in the environment, it isn't a risk unless it is fresh blood that gets into a deep, fresh cut of your own. Don't worry about dried blood lying around.

For more information on hep C, check out http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline allgoodthings1

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:00:48 am »
Is there a risk for HIV infection if a towel had blood on it and came into contact with a penis? Does it make any difference if the blood is dried or not?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 06:15:32 am »
all,

Do you bother reading our replies to you? It sure doesn't seem like it. The answer to your latest question is contained in my last reply to you. Read it.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really, really, REALLY is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.