Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:38:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 504
Total: 505

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I keep getting sick! :(  (Read 3490 times)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
I keep getting sick! :(
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:18:22 pm »
I've stayed pretty quiet so far here about this cos I wasn't worried. But today I found myself throwing up AGAIN at work, for the fourth time in the past 2 weeks or so and having to come home early. The first time was while my family was here, the 2nd the day they left (that was both sickness and diahroea), the 3rd when I did the thread for Matty and now again today!

Just spoke with Ann on the phone. She mentioned something about having lymph glands around the stomach/intestines that make it harder for some to shift bugs as quickly as others. Does anyone know any more about that or any other ideas why I might keep getting this blasted thing?

I have a hospital appointment on the mainland Monday morning, so I'll be flying there tomorrow night. Seriously though, I'm now thinking what the hells going on??? I'm not on any meds and I hardly ever used to get sick, not even colds! Why am I not shaking this bug???

Melia ???
(who is tentatively nibbling on rice with lemon, docs orders...bleurgh!) :( 
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: I keep getting sick! :(
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:17:09 am »
Hi Melia,

Sorry I couldn't explain further on the phone last night, as you know I was in bed and not feeling well.

As you may remember, I have had "gut issues" for most of the time I've been hiv positive. Although some recent articles have made the discovery of the hiv/lymphatic system/gut connection out to be something recent, it's been known for some time now. I stumbled on articles about it when I was fairly recently diagnosed.

Although my gut problems have been given an informal and pretty much unsubstantiated IBS diagnosis, I think it's more to do with hiv in my GALT (gut-associated lymphoid tissue) than anything else, and the Wizard of Poz agrees with me. The problem is, so far there do not seem to be any studies that focus on this specifically, that is to say the effects of hiv on the GALT/digestive system, without bringing HAART into the picture. So basically, while the Wizard and I both strongly suspect that hiv itself is what causes my gut problems, we have no concrete proof.

So, what I was thinking was this: You, like me, are not on hiv meds. This means hiv has a free reign in our GALT/digestive system. My guess is that the unfettered presence of hiv in our guts might make it more difficult for us to clear intestinal bugs that we may come across.

So for you in your current circumstances, I guess that boils down to ... boiled rice. LOL... I mean treating your digestive system with much care while it does its best to clear this bug you've picked up. You may find it beneficial to eat plenty of pro-biotic yogurt or pro-biotic drinks and bland, easily digestible food for a week or more - however long it takes. While I don't think it's anything to worry unduely about, it is something to be aware of. I know you'll be speaking with your doctor about it on Monday and if it continues to persist despite being very careful with your diet, they might want to check you out for the possibility that intestinal parasites may be involved. I wouldn't think this is the case though, because they tend to cause dire-rear more than nausea and vomiting.

As promised, here are links to some recent threads on the issue of GALT.

HIV HIDES FROM TREATMENT IN THE GUT

GALT 25 years on?

Article HIV hides out in peoples intestines.

Hope that helps. Let us know what the doc says when you return from Athens.

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:51:29 am »
I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you figure it soon!
With Love and Support,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 10:34:08 am »
Melia... Please get better soon honey..  You are so much a love..

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:04:36 am »
Hi Melia,

I am glad that you are actively addressing your health issue.  I hope you feel better soon!!

Hugs,
Andrew

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:37:36 am »
Hi Melia,
I am so sorry about the belly issues, I have had some for the past year. I had food poisoning, then a reaction to some meds, then c-diff. It was pretty miserable, but they all cleared up with antibiotics.

Hang in there. Try to eat small, frequent meals. Don't get to the point where you are full. Make sure you are hydrated. Try to eat some bananas, sports drinks to keep your potassium balanced.

Ginger helps soothe the stomach. Fresh ginger made into a tea, candied ginger, or ginger ale.

Make sure the doctor checks for non-hiv things too. Lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, IBS...with hiv, we tend to think of that first, but sometimes it can be unrealted to the hiv.

Good thoughts going out to you. Let us know how you are doing.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 12:10:57 pm »
Ok. I have to put some humor here....

Think of it...you are absolutely gorgeus...The only thing you needed to become a super TopModel, was throwing up, and now you have it...(100% natural, should I say), So, get ready for your new Career!!! International Top Model!! :D:D:D

Ok, ok, perhaps not the best...but damn it, I had to try :P

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:45:27 pm »
Ann: Thanks for the info/advice hon, I read it on the plane.

Jeff/Andrew/Eric: Thanks for the get wells guys.

Christine: Thanks for the advice. I've been having a banana everyday and tried to get ginger today but couldn't find any. Will try other supermarket tomorrow...

Alex: Thanks for the laugh...needed it tonight!

OK well I've been and come back from the mainland. Bloods taken, results ready in about 3 weeks. Very tiring trip but glad I did it. Doc said not to worry about keeping on getting the stomach bug, that it's just harder for me to shift now that I have The Lovely Lurgy. I mentioned GALT but he didnt seem interested, just muttered something about it being one of many theories, blah blah blah...Not sure I'm happy with that - docs never fail to disappoint me nowadays - so am doing own research into dietary recommendations etc. When it comes to my diet I'm usually very good at self-diagnosing with what agrees with me and what doesn't.

I have to admit I've not been eating as healthily this past couple of months cos I've not been home much. I've not had my usual daily kefir/bio yoghurt and I've been very on/off with my royal jelly/spirulina. So I reckon that may well have contributed to my weakened guts. Am making the necessary changes back to Healthy Melia from now on though, starting with a week or 2 of gentle foods to help my digestive system recover and then onto a diet aimed at supporting/strengthening my immune system. I have many books, so it's just up to me to get focused again...

Melia :)

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.