Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:25:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 329
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 306
Total: 307

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I should have known better  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Justifyablycrazy

I should have known better
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:10 am »
  I don't know what it is about me and bad decisions but i went high risk about 3 days ago being on the receiving end . Now I am hetero at this point in my life but put in certain drugs and i tend to revert to my bisexual past. So to put it together , the other male said he was clean .

Of course people will say anything to get what they want and this drug i was on really flips me out to were im really not acknowledging wtf im doing .So I got it from the receiving end -

im trying to grab a handle on reality and figure out what to do ? Wish I could take PEP but were almost done with that 3 day period and i am poor with no insurance .

I read that if he was hiv pos my chances are .1-.3%  of getting the virus?

Now can I use one of those home access tests in 3 weeks since 95% seroconvert during that time ? just to ease my anxiety ? and then assume that test is right then test once the 3 month mark is done?

Or if im really worried are there tests (that RNA one?) that have conclusive results within a week?

I'm human , I make mistakes - I used to be so high risk in my youth because of my needle habit and Ive been such a good boy these last 5 years im afraid ive really done messed up this time . (P.S. allways tested after eisky behaviors and tested negative in the past. )

Thank you for your time and patience.   

Offline RapidRod

Re: I should have known better
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »
There are no HIV tests that will give you a conclusive test result earlier than 3 months post exposure.

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »
 Thanks I understand that , what my inquiry is leaning more towards this-

new technology for the early detection of HIV after 28 days of exposure called HIV DNA PCR-of course this is out of my price range and 25 more days down the row.

As well I know that most people will convert during that period I guess what im trying to say is how early can I test to get ride of this anxiety . I know nothing will be conclusive until the 3 month mark but i also understand that its possible to test even earlier - at least to relieve some anxiety .

Thank you for the reply , and i understand that any test i take before 3 months wouldn't be conclusive im just asking how soon is it possible to get a test that may show possible results.

In other words maybe test after the time it takes the average person to serocnvert?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:33:29 pm by Justifyablycrazy »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:48:44 pm »
Justa,

DNA PCR tests are not approved for diagnostic purposes as they are prone to a high rate of false positive results. RNA testing is approved, but you need to know any result you get from one of those must still be confirmed with standard antibody testing. We would not recommend any PCR testing in your situation. It's unnecessary and as you have discovered, expensive.

The earliest you should test (antibody) is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point. Unfortunately, there are no short cuts to hiv testing.

You might be able to find a free testing center near you by using POZ.com's Health Services Directory.

If you decide to use a home test kit, be sure you use Home Access, which is the only FDA approved home test. You do not interpret the results yourself, you have to send the sample off to their lab.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »
We don't get into % of risk here as that is guessing stuff and doesn't give you the answer that only an HIV test at 3 months can give you conclusively.

Yes, you can do an RNA at 28 days. A negative on that will be encouraging of course but not conclusive. It looks for viral load. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So if you test negative at 6 weeks that is a strong indication that you are likely to continue to test negative at 3 months.

I know you did not intend to be offensive, but the term "clean" with reference to HIV status is considered very rude. It implies that anyone who is positive is dirty. HIV is a virus and it's about being positive or negative and not clean or dirty. So remember that please for the future.

Good luck with however you decide to go with testing.
Andy Velez

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »
 Thank you , that was exactly what i was looking for . So six weeks is a good stepping stone to work with for right now .
 I appreciate it , and probably need to volunteer at a resource center just to do my part in the meantime .

Thank you everyone for the answers to my questions.

J.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:13:52 pm by Justifyablycrazy »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »
You're welcome. Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:01 am »
 OK ,

Its been 4 weeks and I think its karma that is dragging this out for me and the devil that is F&5kin w/me cause its been a horrid 4 weeks . Became sick with either a low grade sinus infection , bronchial infection or sero-converted . Been a nervous wreck to the point were no- one wants to be around me because they can feel the tension or that something's not right. May have just flunked my exam because I was focused on something else  . But lets dispense of my psychosis and get to the bottom of things .

So I ordered a self at home HIV Home Access Kit from Best Choice Bio. that you actually do at home with a prick on the finger and a stick with a base chemical that you wait for 20 minutes to see. I know the name and have used them before but not this type and nor from over the internet .

My Question is , has anyone ordered from best choice bio these type of kits and as well the same type ? And how long do they take to get here ?  I  ordered mine like last mon and im just a wreck .

blaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh- but I dont even think thats whats buggin me on the surface - I dont think its so much as if I really did it do myself but as to HOw could I have let this happen to myself ? Anywho -

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:24 am »
I forgot to add that I ordered than from Hong Kong China - c? No focus whatsoever .

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:10 am »
You cannot get the results from a Home Access test. Home Access is a collection kit that has to be sent back to their lab to be analyzed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:39 am »
Just,

Given how nervous you are, you've made a big mistake in ordering the test you have. The only APPROVED home testing kit is NOT the one you've ordered. While it may be approved for use in a clinical setting, it is NOT approved for private home use. Why? Because they are easy to misinterpret and a person needs training to use them properly, no matter what some money-grabbing internet company may tell you to the contrary.

The Home Access test that IS approved is one that you do not interpret yourself, but you send it off to a lab who does the rest and you ring them in a few days to find out the result.

And anyway, you're testing too early. I told you a few weeks ago that the earliest you should test is at six weeks, not four.

You'd be wise to not even bother with the home test you interpret yourself and either buy yourself an APPROVED home test kit where you send it off to a lab, or use the link I provided you with above and find a testing center near you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:13 pm »
Vielen Dank für die Informationen.
[/color]

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:22:52 pm »
You're welcome.

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »
OK , so I got the Home access - sent it off  on Wednesday ,
    Which makes it officially 5 weeks (or 5 weeks and one day) away from incident .
           So Results came back negative (if u can believe that) , and now I'm "semi - relieved"

I know I'm not quite out of the woods - but I feel it is a significant test to a degree - I'm just curious as to what how others would feel about it. I know ill need to test in another 5-8 weeks - but Ive read 21 days for most of the population -6 weeks earliest 13 -16 to be sure. 
  Comments and the like sure appreciated.
         I mean how secure would a 5 week negative result make you feel ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »
Did you bother to read the instructions that came with the kit?

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »
 yeah, everything was done appropriately otherwise I don't think they would have been able to  give me a result with a tainted specimen. I filled the whole circle with blood like it said until the back piece of card resembles the circle put on the specimen. then waited for it to dry a bit - put it in the preserve cardboard pocket and then into another sleeve which goes int a fed ex  package .

waited 2 day and called with my specimen # and presto - results over the phone 48 hours later.It was one of the FDA approved ones , the other at home FDA unapproved test haven't made it here yet lol.

Specimen was blotted at 2-4 am on a Wed. exaactly 5 weeks ( and maybe a day) after the dreaded "Drug addled this isnt fun incident"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 01:14:43 am »
http://www.orasure.com/products-infectious/products-infectious-oraquick.asp
OraQuick ADVANCE® Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test FAQs

Are all negatives true negatives?
 A Non-Reactive (negative) test means that anti-HIV antibodies were not detected in the specimen. This test result is interpreted as Negative.

It is possible to get a negative screening test if the infection is very recent. This may be because there is a window period of several weeks when a person may be infected but antibodies to the virus have not reached a concentration that is visible. Therefore, if a person has certain risk factors, or thinks they may have been exposed to HIV, they should be retested in three months to be certain of a negative result.

Offline Justifyablycrazy

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 02:58:27 pm »
http://www.homeaccess.com/   

This is the test i took - but the one you post Rod looks like a good one to use for my second test in oh about another 2-5 weeks?
   what would yall do? Neg at 5- so when would be a good time to retest just in case im a late bloomer ?

This was what im reading all over the place concerning window period and i think there are those that know the science behind it -

"Antibodies generally appear within three months after infection with HIV, but may take up to six months in some persons."

This CDC definition of a three to six month window period has been commonly used for a number of years.

The three month window period is normal for most of the population. Many people will have detectable antibodies in three or four weeks. Very, very rarely (i.e., only a few cases ever), a person could take six months to produce antibodies.

Of course I could be that 1% of the Anglo's that's immune to it -knock's on wood-

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 03:27:08 pm »
Let's keep this simple. The 6 month waiting period only applies when longterm intravenous drug use us is involved or organ transplant or a severely depleted immune system due to an illness such as cancer. Otherwise even the CDC has long accepted 3 months as a reliable testing point. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. A negative at 3 months means you are HIV negative.

Period,

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:53:25 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.