Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:43:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 492
Total: 495

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV test result meaning for patient 7614?  (Read 6568 times)

Offline bryan21

HIV test result meaning for patient 7614?
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:06 am »
Okay first I know i have HIV. I also don't know if this is under the right topic seeing how almost every topic i post someone must tell me i have it under the wrong subject.
I was wondering about the results of my HIV test i have been wondering about?
and have asked questions about it but everyone said they have to see it so here is what the test
word for word lol...

HIV-1/2 Group O Antibody by EIA results : repeatedly Reactive

performing location:nashville

reference results:non-reacitive

comments:

HIV-1 western blot results:reactive: positive for HIV-1 antibody
gp 160:present
gp 120:present
p 66:present
p 51/55:present
gp 41:present
p 31:present
p 24:present
p 17:present

reference result:non-reactive

well thats it as it is word 4 word i was just wanting to know any info you can give me about this?
i dont even know what to ask or if u will be able to even tell me anything

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HIV test result meaning for patient 7614?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:00 am »
Okay first I know i have HIV. I also don't know if this is under the right topic seeing how almost every topic i post someone must tell me i have it under the wrong subject.
I was wondering about the results of my HIV test i have been wondering about?
and have asked questions about it but everyone said they have to see it so here is what the test
word for word lol...

HIV-1/2 Group O Antibody by EIA results : repeatedly Reactive

reference results:non-reacitive

comments:

HIV-1 western blot results:reactive: positive for HIV-1 antibody
gp 160:present
gp 120:present
p 66:present
p 51/55:present
gp 41:present
p 31:present
p 24:present
p 17:present

reference result:non-reactive

well thats it as it is word 4 word i was just wanting to know any info you can give me about this?
i dont even know what to ask or if u will be able to even tell me anything

These are the results one would expect to see in an HIV positive person.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:45:40 am »
The Western Blot test is what they use to confirm a positive result on a standard antibody test. A certain number of bands must be present in order for the positive to be confirmed. You've got all bands present, so you're well and truly hiv positive. That's all the test tells you.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bryan21

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »
okay what do the reactive and non-reactive parts mean? is it bad that i have all the bands?
i guess i have to spell everything out one here or ask a VERY specific question to get the answer i want..
and not just a very general answer to which i knew the answer..

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »
okay what do the reactive and non-reactive parts mean? is it bad that i have all the bands?
i guess i have to spell everything out one here or ask a VERY specific question to get the answer i want..
and not just a very general answer to which i knew the answer..

The "reference results: non-reactive" is tech speak. That refers to the control sample they compared the sample taken from you against. Compared to the control sample your sample is reactive, ie you're HIV positive.

MtD

Offline bryan21

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:33:47 am »
gotcha!
well thank you very much! ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:04:40 am »
is it bad that i have all the bands?

It's bad in the sense that you're hiv positive, but it's not bad in the sense that you have an extra strong strain or anything like that. It just means you have hiv.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bryan21

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:14:35 pm »
okay thats what i was kinda thinking..and im new and i dont know anything about this kinda of stuff yet!??
lol do having that many bands mean that my body is producing alot of antibodies against the HIV like its fighting it good or what ?
well thnks for the answers!
 :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:16:06 pm by bryan21 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
I also had all the bands on my WB result. I was told at the time that it could mean one or both of two things. One, that my body mounted a very robust reaction to the hiv in my body, and/or two, that it simply meant that I'd been poz for several years.

In fact, I had hiv for just under four years when I tested. I know this because I know with certainty when I seroconverted. Neither my doctor or I connected the dots to hiv seroconversion at the time because I allegedly wasn't in any of the risk groups. Turns out I was - I was in the only true sexual risk group; that group of people who have unprotected intercourse with someone of unknown or positive hiv status. Silly me. But anyway, going by the severity of my seroconversion illness, it's probably safe to say that my body launched a very robust response indeed. And thirteen years later my numbers do not show a need for hiv meds. Go figure. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bryan21

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:57:35 pm »
okay thats kinda what i though.
i know when i got it..well i know who i got it from
i could of had it for over a year so far..or going on a year.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.