Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: European Union Adopts New Official Language  (Read 6176 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
European Union Adopts New Official Language
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:31 am »

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby
English will be the official language of the European Union rather
than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that
English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-
year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English" .

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will
make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in
favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have
one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the
troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like
fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag
is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th"
with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords
kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl
riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu
understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in
ze forst plas.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Re: European Union Adopts New Official Language
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:30 am »
LMAO  :) :D :D :D ;D

Thanks man

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Gio

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:16 pm »
LMAO  :D :D :D :D :D ::)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:23:55 pm »
that's funny   ;D
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »
Celebrating Carnival in Cologne these days. What would Europe be without the fabulous fun Germans!  And the music is great too!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:43:08 pm »
 ;D :o ;D :o ;D

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »
 ;D ;D :D ;D I just pissed my pants LOL
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »
Don't piss on my continent, and don't piss on my language, we're only lending it to you til Spanish gets established in Boston, then we're having it back. The EU administration is stupid but then you got The Hill.

-matt (who can spell colour and knows that drapes is a verb) the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:39:56 pm »
love you newt.. :-*

http://german-way.com/blog/2009/03/03/downside-of-english-as-universal-language/

I have always felt jilted that our schools don't make learning another language a requirement instead of an elective. I took Spanish, German and a smattering of Russian. I can look at Italian and French and figure out what is being said from my Spanish and German.

I am 'Scandinavian' descent...Finnish/German..if you saw my last name you would know the German..immediately  ::)

I have been working with Katie on Spanish....

"just look at the root of the 'foreign' word and you will see the English word right in it"  ::)...most English has just been borrowed from the mixture of all the cultures that came to live here...

"oh, I see the English, but how do you know what to put around it to make it Spanish/German/etc?"

"it'll come to you"....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:06:58 pm by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:37:49 am »
 Hey newt, I was stationed in Germany  for 4 yrs. in the service, I loved that place, I made a lotta of friends
when it was time for me to go back home State-side, all my German buddies cried their eyes out, knowing that they  might not never see me again, I'm still in contact w/ only 2 of them, we still write, and call each other after all these yrs.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:40:20 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
newt-

Your continent is in denb45's pants? Shocking!  :o

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:53 am »
Don't piss on my continent, and don't piss on my language, we're only lending it to you til Spanish gets established in Boston, then we're having it back. The EU administration is stupid but then you got The Hill.

-matt (who can spell colour and knows that drapes is a verb) the newt

Amen. I had to learn the proper spelling of many words like colour because I love crossword puzzles. Now the Americanised spellings look so wrong to me.

[rant] One thing I can't get my head around though is how some words are pronounced. Like schedule. Why is it pronounced with a soft sh sound while school is not? Privacy is another one. If privacy is pronounced with a short I sound, then why aren't things done in private - pronounced like the hedge (privet)? It boggles my mind. And then there's the word clerk - heads up, there's no A in the word! Same thing for derby - NO A! [/rant]
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:06:19 am »
newt-

Your continent is in denb45's pants? Shocking!  :o

odyssey

Oh Gee, odyssey  :D you are giving me way too much credit here, I'm just your normal  average person of mixed white and black ancestry , nothing special here, I'm just a mutt-dog  ;D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
Amen. I had to learn the proper spelling of many words like colour because I love crossword puzzles. Now the Americanised spellings look so wrong to me.

[rant] One thing I can't get my head around though is how some words are pronounced. Like schedule. Why is it pronounced with a soft sh sound while school is not? Privacy is another one. If privacy is pronounced with a short I sound, then why aren't things done in private - pronounced like the hedge (privet)? It boggles my mind. And then there's the word clerk - heads up, there's no A in the word! Same thing for derby - NO A! [/rant]

That's cuz yunz don't know how ta tawlk right.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:44 am »
I would have thought the EU would adopt something like Esperanto.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline leese43

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:15 am »

I don't know either Ann and I'm British  :D :D

I think the private/privacy thing is because the "e" makes the "I" a long sound and then it's dropped in privacy..but don't quote me on that!
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:01 am »
I don't know either Ann and I'm British  :D :D

I think the private/privacy thing is because the "e" makes the "I" a long sound and then it's dropped in privacy..but don't quote me on that!

I've heard others make the same comment about the dropped "e", but there are other words where the "e" is dropped for different forms of the word and it doesn't change their pronunciation, so I don't buy that excuse. But duh, I can't think of any examples right now. I'm feeling a little brain-dead today after drowning my sorrows last night with the rest of my pool team after our 9-nil trouncing at the hands of The Baltic. Well, they are at the top of the league table and we're bottom. hehehehehe... we're a bunch of bottoms! ;D eh, we have fun and that's what counts. (or so we keep telling each other!)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.