Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:08:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 673
Total: 674

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to buy ARVs in India?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Disturbed

How to buy ARVs in India?
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:32 am »
Does anyone know if itīs possible for a foreigner to buy generic meds in India with a tourist visa and a prescription from my home country? (like in Thailand)
If yes, what will I need and what is the maximum supply I can get?
Jan'12 Diagnosed HIV+ CD4 26 VL 3.400.000
Dec'12 Diagnosed visceral leishmaniasis CD4 60 VL 560
May'13 Diagnosed CIDP CD4 180 VL UD
May'14 CD4 330 VL UD

Offline ratcat

Re: How to buy ARVs in India?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:58 am »
     Great Idea for a thread.  I live in Asia and my meds are produced in India. India is known for it's good hospitals and well trained health professionals as well as generic medicine production.

As far as you bringing a prescription from the USA.....seems like a waste of time.  Why not just visit a hospital in India and get one there (bring some documentation of your condition)...easy.

By the way...I live in Thailand.  There was a nice Military coup last month, a current curfew and Immigration is getting strict here.  Lets explore other options ok.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:09 am »
Buying from pharmacies in India is easy, no need for a prescription.  For ARVs, I'd probably go to a hospital pharmacy though.

For regular pharmacies, look for one of the busier ones that has runners from other pharmacies in line.  Make sure you know the chemical as well as trade names for what you're looking for.  Skip any place that has the price in rupees marked over or crossed out on the back.  The price shown is the maximum legal price, if it's crossed out they're going to try and charge you more or do something else sketchy.

Don't worry if they're out of stock, or don't have the quantity you want on hand and offer to have a runner deliver to your hotel.  Pay with a credit card for protection.  I've never had an issue with something not showing up or long delays on those occassions.

I've bought a years worth of stuff before, no limit per se, it's just a matter of how much you can bring back home and not have issues with customs and immigrations.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:22:43 am by AusShep »

Offline Disturbed

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:19 am »
Hey ratcat have you even heard about Qvir in Thailand?
http://pharmabiz.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?aid=70639&sid=2
The normal atazanavir is already much more expensive that this cheap indian full combination.
May'14 CD4 330 VL UD

Offline ratcat

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »
No Disturbed, I have not seen Q-Vir yet.  I take Teevir, which is an Indian generic version of Atripla
that is produced by a different company called Mylan Labs.  From what I understand, Atripla/Teevir is the best combination pill available here.  Stribild and Complera aren't available yet.  I am in Thailand...NOT India,!!! India is on my radar big time.

AusShep...thanks for the info. That's great information regarding the Max Legal price being printed on the box. thanks again..

Offline Disturbed

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:52 pm »
Thanks ratcat, I started with Atripla too but got resistant to efavirenz and had to change it...

AusShep I got sick once in India, went to pharmacy to buy antibiotics but they didnīt work... later I found out they were over one year out of date...
Everybody should be careful when buying anything in India, scams are frecuent too. But I hope not in big hospitals.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:28:44 pm by Disturbed »
May'14 CD4 330 VL UD

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:24 pm »
While Complera is not available in Thailand you can buy the two component drugs (Truvada & Edurant) at the Bangkok Red Cross - I just bought a six month supply there last week.

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:32 pm »
are there positive expat communities? or is it something we all just dream about?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »
are there positive expat communities? or is it something we all just dream about?

There is a robust expat community in Thailand . I won't bore you with the details but I almost lost my medicaid last year and I was seriously considering moving to Thailand ... I have been there before and love the country and could afford healthcare there and actually a better standard of living than what I enjoy here .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 03:28:50 am »
jeff you read my mind. i've also been there. knew there were a lot of americans living there, thought it was just a good place to go. hell, i was so naive at the time, maybe the people i knew were poz. i always thought they were leftover hippies

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 05:32:57 am »
Yes it is a great place... I live in the north in Chiang Mai... Great food, great people and very laid back lifestyle...

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 10:01:55 pm »
Yes it is a great place... I live in the north in Chiang Mai... Great food, great people and very laid back lifestyle...

Chiang Mai was the area I was researching and considering moving to .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.