Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:37:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 459
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Grants for schooling  (Read 5850 times)

Offline BUZZCUTT

Grants for schooling
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:50:20 am »
Does anyone know if there are any specific grants for school for those that have HIV?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Buzz ♥

Offline alantalbot

Re: Grants for schooling
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »
Hm, kinda surprised this thread hasn't gotten any response.  Here's what I'd do - choose the school you want to attend and then ask the financial aid people what is available.  I haven't heard of grants for HIV specifically, but that's not to say they're not out there.  Also, there's this $30 billion thing of Obama's that is encouraging people to go back to school...which is cool.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:59 am »
Does anyone know if there are any specific grants for school for those that have HIV?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

About 10 years back I called around, contacting various ASOs looking for a scholarship for poz. I got the weirdest reactions from people who themselves were being paid to aid poz like us (no matter their status). i view a scholarship for someone poz who is motivated, and just might make a contribution to others, mainly through future professional employment, makes a whole lot of sense.

If you do find something, consider sharing it here. Good Luck!

8)  -megasept

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48:44 pm »
Thanks everybody for your replies.  I applied for a Pell grant, however they base it off your last years income, I most likely will have better luck next year for the grants because I am now on disability.
Buzz ♥

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:54:57 pm »
About 10 years back I called around, contacting various ASOs looking for a scholarship for poz. I got the weirdest reactions from people who themselves were being paid to aid poz like us (no matter their status). i view a scholarship for someone poz who is motivated, and just might make a contribution to others, mainly through future professional employment, makes a whole lot of sense.

If you do find something, consider sharing it here. Good Luck!

8)  -megasept

Since i am on disability now I am working with the state department of vocational rehabilataion, sometimes they will pay for your schooling if you cannot go back to your same job, they requested all my med records and will base their decision after that.  Wish me luck.  :)
Buzz ♥

Offline superdupe

• this is it!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:14:28 pm »
Since i am on disability now I am working with the state department of vocational rehabilataion, sometimes they will pay for your schooling if you cannot go back to your same job, they requested all my med records and will base their decision after that.  Wish me luck.  :)

Hey Buzz lemme know how that works out for you, I'm in the same boat looking for the exact same thing. I was hoping there were special scholarships so I could go to nursing school... but finding it difficult. 

I'm crossing my fingers for ya bud! :P

Offline superdupe

• this is it!!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »
Not sure if you guys saw this thread already posted on here!

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17227.0

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 05:30:20 pm »
Hi Super,

Thanks for your post, I just was approved for Vocational Rehabilitation in category one, I am waiting for their call.  I currently am going to school for nursing.  To get some assistance would be great.

C Ya

Buzz
Buzz ♥

Offline superdupe

• this is it!!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »
Hey Buzz,

Isn't that only if youre a veteran???

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:27 pm »
Hey Super,

No, that is for anybody who is on SSI or SSD, it's a program to retrain you so you can go back to work again.  If you are on disability check with you local social security office
Buzz ♥

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.