Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:17:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 674
Total: 676

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disclosure Laws?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
Disclosure Laws?
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:09:28 am »
what are they? I'm curious to know. a friend of mine someone went and blabbed her status to everyone and then she was choked by a pregnant female MP while several women in th ebackground yelled they were going to press charges against her for being around them and their kids for attempted manslaughter. 

I just want to know what she can do? because she wasnt allowed to go to the Military Police due to a court order, she honestly shouldnt have been back on that base at least from what I understand. However, my only concern is what those women did to her and what can she do to protect herself?
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Disclosure Laws?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:52:21 am »
Hi Ravhyn

Here in New Zealand people living with HIV are protected from discrimination in employment by the Human Rights Act 1993, under this Act employers cannot refuse to employ someone soley on the basis of their percieved or actual HIV statas.

The Act also outlines avenues for appeal if employees feel abused , neglected and/or harassed, and under the Privacy Act 1993 an individual's personal information cannot be disclosed by the employer or collegues.

I'm sorry your friend has to put up with such ignorance, but I'm not 100% sure how it works in the US.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:38:48 am »
what are they? I'm curious to know. a friend of mine someone went and blabbed her status to everyone and then she was choked by a pregnant female MP while several women in th ebackground yelled they were going to press charges against her for being around them and their kids for attempted manslaughter. 

I just want to know what she can do? because she wasnt allowed to go to the Military Police due to a court order, she honestly shouldnt have been back on that base at least from what I understand. However, my only concern is what those women did to her and what can she do to protect herself?

HIV+ people can serve in the military.  HIV+ people have 1) a right to privacy in their social lives and there's no court anywhere that I am aware of that says an HIV+ can't move about in public freely.  These women are ignorant.

2) Disclosure laws, when they apply, are only about sex.

You can check out a lot of the applicable laws on several sites. For example here:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art6936.html

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:01 am »
HIV+ individuals are prohibited from joining the military. However they are permitted to remain in the military if they become infected while serving, with restrictions.

http://www.sldn.org/pages/hiv-and-military-service
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:03:42 am by Dachshund »

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »
yea, I should have added this in shes a military spouse, but due too the divorce/custody battle and everything going on she has no resources to reach out too down their.  I couldn't sleep till 6 this morning, I was so upset over the situation. 

As passive as I am, I dont think I would have remained so calm in her situation. 
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
Wow, those women's reactions were really extreme.  I'm wondering if your friend had some previous bad blood with these women because I just can't imagine someone, even the most ignorant, acting this way.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
HIV+ individuals are prohibited from joining the military. However they are permitted to remain in the military if they become infected while serving, with restrictions.

I would rather go to jail that join the military, but ouch, it still hurts to know I'm not allowed to join due to my status.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:37:48 am »

I was just listening to an interview on POZIAM Radio with a young guy who was told he tested poz while in the military.  I thought you were kicked out, but he explains the different options he had.  I was surprised that he said they did randomed HIV testing.  I thought everyone got tested.  I know this is getting way off topic from Ravhyn's concerns, but since it was mentioned, I thought it was an interesting interview.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/poziam/2011/03/07/george-montgomery

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.