Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:46:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 618
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Uprotected sex, Serodiscordant couple  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Waltern

• Magnetic couple
Uprotected sex, Serodiscordant couple
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:13 am »
My partner has been positive for 10 years and her viral load has been undetectable since 2005, I have been using a condom since then, but i must admit that I am now dying to have it as it is, Now the question is can I go on with unprotected sex , its now always in my mind and I desire it. Any heterosexual discordant couples like mine please share with me.
Serodiscordant, relationship

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Uprotected sex, Serodiscordant couple
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:55 am »
I moved your thread into the Someone I Care About Forum where there are no posting restrictions. You can post all of your questions in this thread and participate in other serodiscordant couples threads .

If you partner is undetectable its almost impossible to pass on the virus . Its also in your favor that you are the insertive partner . Have you ever considered PrEP, a once a day pill of Truvada ? . I would not think you would need it if your GF is consistently undetectable but it is effective medicine and powerful peace of mind as well .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:26 pm »
Gay couple here, but we're very much in the same situation, so I'll respond anyway.

After the studies and updates are still showing no HIV transmissions with an undetectable partner (gay and straight, check out the PARTNER study) we decided to make a go at no condoms very briefly then backed off.  The PrEP studies (a recent UK study just offered to put all of the control group on Truvada based on early unpublished results) are also very promising, so we have an appointment on Friday to discuss getting on PrEP, get bloodwork done, and see what the Doctor has to say. 

It'll be another 2 weeks before the follow up where we actually talk with the Dr and decide what to do.  I'm doubtful the Dr will come out and give his direct approval at this point either with or without PrEP in addition to being undetectable.  But we'll probably make a decision at that point.  I'll provide an update  afterwards.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »
Shep I'm in serodiscordant couple also. We don't use condoms.  Doctors approval.  We should talk.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Waltern

• Magnetic couple
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:38 am »
Thank you Jeff, I am now feeling better that there is no recorded case where the viral load was suppressed and transmission was possible, though i stil have headache about contracting the virus. would like to hear some more serodiscordant couples who dont use protection and are only relying on undetectable viral load/ARV as prevention.

Offline Forgiven82

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:14:04 pm »
Hi !
I am such a relationship and i am negative and my boyfriend is positive. We live in a country where Prep is not available.  So we only rely on his blood work. He has been undetectable for some time. We are planning to have a baby in the future too. I took a test in august and i was negative still. I will have another in december.  He is on Atripla. We normally dont use condoms. If he is sick or has the flu we do. But we are in a monogamous relationship and have no other std's. So i feel pretty safe to be honest. But its taken time to get here. Much for him too as his biggest fear is passing his hiv to me. :-)

Offline Waltern

• Magnetic couple
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:15:28 pm »
We plan to have another child but just wanted to know if the health of the wife won't deteriorate because of the pregnancy,  does pregnancy uses up the energy required to be stable?  and does it make a viral load to increase?

Offline Waltern

• Magnetic couple
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:04:42 am »
Hi all and thanks again for your help to me and others who are also frustrated about the virus, I have found a lot of valuable information on this side,

My question is can the transmission occur using a needle or injecting equipment from an HIV positive person? and how much is the risk of transmission from the needle/injection if the viral load of the positive person is undetectable, Is the risk of using the same needle/injection same as the one having unprotected sex?

Hope to get clarity on this question and the previous question about pregnancy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:17:58 am »
Hi all and thanks again for your help to me and others who are also frustrated about the virus, I have found a lot of valuable information on this side,

My question is can the transmission occur using a needle or injecting equipment from an HIV positive person? and how much is the risk of transmission from the needle/injection if the viral load of the positive person is undetectable, Is the risk of using the same needle/injection same as the one having unprotected sex?

Hope to get clarity on this question and the previous question about pregnancy.

Your post is reading more like one that belongs in the AM I INFECTED forum but I will answer the question anyway . HIV is transmitted from unprotected anal and vaginal sex and from sharing IV drug rigs immediately after an infected person . Use condoms and or PrEP for anal or vaginal sex and do not share injection equipment and you will avoid HIV .

Sharing IV drug rigs with an infected person is more risky than unprotected sex because it a direct route into you blood stream . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Amber34

• Stay Positive
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
Waltern,

I see this is an older post so this may not still be an issue for you.

I am poz and my husband is neg. I am UD and he takes Prep meds and we don't use condoms. Let me know if you still have any concerns you want to discuss.

Amber
New here

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.