Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Remembering Ryan White 20 Years After His Death  (Read 4335 times)

Offline tednlou2

Remembering Ryan White 20 Years After His Death
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:29:07 am »
My Mom reminded me today that Ryan White died 20 years ago today--well yesterday now.  I didn't realize that until she told me and then I saw an article here in Poz.com.  It surprised me my mom even thought about that.  She lives in Indiana and she must have seen something on the local news there.

I remember watching the LIVE AID concert (think that what it was) when Elton John announced he had passed.  I grew up in central Indiana and remember all the news stories about all the hell he was put through.  I remember Elton and Michael Jackson visiting him at his home.  I try to have understanding for the parents who were afraid for their kids to go to school with him.  However, I remember I was about 13 at the time and thinking I wouldn't be afraid of him.  Even at that age, I knew I couldn't catch HIV from casual contact. 

I just wanted to thank Ryan today for all he did and the legacy he left. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/Ryan_White_20years_1_18265.shtml

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
Re: Remembering Ryan White 20 Years After His Death
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:33:31 am »
thanks for the article, it's hard to believe it has been twenty he years, but I am thankful graced this earth...

Offline Florida69

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:55:50 am »
Thansk for the article.  We have come a long way, and still have a long way to go. 
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:46:50 am »
Does anyone have any info on this?  I live near Indianapolis and wonder if this is open to the public.  Elton John will be there.  Sam is getting a little emotional in this video from GMA.  I've always wondered about him.  I think he probably has lost friends to AIDS--not that anybody wouldn't get emotional but it just seems more special to him.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/remembering-ryan-white-10319269?tab=9482931&section=1206835&playlist=1363742

Offline edfu

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:58 am »
Sam is openly gay but doesn't make a big deal about it, and no one else does either.  He does publicly support a number of charities, including ones that are gay-related and related to AIDS.  I've seen him myself at The Pines on Fire Island and in other gay venues.  He's usually surrounded by a large retinue of other gay men.  You can't have lived in New York City as a gay man for as long as he has without knowing PWA's.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:12:14 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »
Sam is openly gay but doesn't make a big deal about it, and no one else does either.  He does publicly support a number of charities, including ones that are gay-related and related to AIDS.  I've seen him myself at The Pines on Fire Island and in other gay venues.  He's usually surrounded by a large retinue of other gay men.  You can't have lived in New York City as a gay man for as long as he has without knowing PWA's.   

If this is Sam the Weather Man then yes, everyone knows about her :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »
I can't seem to view this.  Not sure exactly why it just sits there.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »
I can't seem to view this.  Not sure exactly why it just sits there.

You're not ghey enough. Worked fine for Matty. :)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »
You're not ghey enough. Worked fine for Matty. :)

MtD

*gets on his knees to increase his ghey*

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:56:15 pm »

Crappy photo; amazing person. Ryan White did so much during his short life.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:17:12 am »
Scene from the movie where Ryan White appears in a cameo playing another boy with AIDS.  I watched the movie when it originally aired, but forgot Lukas Haas played Ryan and was the boy from "Witness" with Harrison Ford.  I had also forgotten Ryan was also in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhXLxMnQsCM

Offline unclespongebob

• im the on on the right in the red shirt
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
at the time that i watched the movie back then i didnt think that i would be living with hiv . 1 year later i am doing great im undectable now . i thank god every day that i have insurance to pay for my meds , i also thak ryan white foundation for the help that come from one kid that had hiv.
friends are gods way of apologizing to us for our familys. / a real friend os one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. / everybody wants to ride with you in the limo,but what you need is sombody who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down./ one friend in a lifetimeis much; two are many; three are hardly possible.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.