Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:20:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 531
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 499
Total: 500

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About to have dental implants done  (Read 6843 times)

Offline RobbyR

About to have dental implants done
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:29 pm »
Has anyone here had dental implants done? I'm about to have implants placed for my front two teeth which were knocked out in an accident some years back. I've worn temporaries until now, which have been a big nuiscance & feel very uncomfortable. The dental clinic I go to is pretty much run by students, but supervised by faculty, and so far I've had good experiences based on being treated well, although I had to go back several times because on one or two occasions they did stuff wrong. However, on the plus side, due to my grant, I don't have to pay for my dental care, so that's a huge plus. If I went to a private dentist, I could never afford two implants.

I'm a bit nervous, even though they pulled my wisdom teeth & I had no problems. I was scheduled for the procedure, but both times I backed out before because I was nervous about it. But after soul-searching, I realize I have to do it, there's no other way, other than to keep wearing the temporary partial, which isn't a comfortable or viable option long-term. And since I'm still young, I figure I'll take a chance with the implants, even if it they will be done by a student dentist. It's just the only way I can do it and not have to pay for it out of pocket which would be impossible. Just kind of thinking the implants is a bigger deal & I really need it to go well. Has anyone on here had it done? Are they comfortable once they heal? Thanks.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mitch777

Re: About to have dental implants done
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
Robby,

Although I have never had dental implants I see it in my future. I know that the expense is enormous! From what I hear it can be about $10,000 per implant! Yikes!

Please take advantage of it while you can. I'm sure it's not the most fun procedure in the world but why wait if you know it's needed? I highly doubt much pain will be an issue, more of a temporary inconvenience. The worst case scenario would be if the implant didn't "take" and that they would have to try again.

I hate dental work myself.

Go forward and get it done. I highly doubt you will have any regrets.

m.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29:48 pm »
Thanks mitch, yeah I chickened out twice before but since it's my front teeth, I really have no choice but to bite the bullet & go for it. I hate dental work too. On the plus, with this, I'll have IV sedation, so that's a plus. I just hope they take. The crucial part is the first 1-3 months to see if the implant base takes to the bone, & if it does, they then can just attach the implants. It's quite an involved process, & one I'd prefer a private, experienced dentist to do, but since I can not afford that, I'll have to take my chances with the student clinic.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »
Thanks mitch, yeah I chickened out twice before but since it's my front teeth, I really have no choice but to bite the bullet & go for it. I hate dental work too. On the plus, with this, I'll have IV sedation, so that's a plus. I just hope they take. The crucial part is the first 1-3 months to see if the implant base takes to the bone, & if it does, they then can just attach the implants. It's quite an involved process, & one I'd prefer a private, experienced dentist to do, but since I can not afford that, I'll have to take my chances with the student clinic.

I've heard great things about student dentists. They do have oversight by those who teach them. I'm glad to hear you are moving forward! Don't worry about the sedation, you will likely wake up with little concern.

As a side note, I had an absessed (sp?) tooth when I was about 8 years old. They gave me Sodium Pentothal and put me in the recovery room which was basically an enclosed room with padded benches along three sides. Anyway, I woke up laughing harder than I can remember even to this day. I was rolling on the floor and laughing so hard the nurse came in to check on me. When I say rolling I mean across the entire floor, climbing on the benches, and falling back into hysteria. It went on for what seemed forever and I will never forget it and I doubt the nurse will either. 

I left with a giggle. So much fun! Really.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:17:40 pm »
I have had allot of dental work done by students and never had a problem and Mark is right … you would be more likely to get a bad dental job by an established dentist than a student because they are graded on the work they do and it must be right of they don’t get credit for it . I never had implants but lots of root canals, never a problem .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:02 pm »
I have two and have not regretted them. Been in a long time, but they did not cost $10,000 each. I would fact gather, find out if you have to pay anything. It is a phenomenal form of dentistry which, like ARVs, is always being improved upon.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:16:29 pm »
Very good points guys! I've had the student dentists do quite a bit for me over time, & mostly it was good experiences. In a lot of ways I seem to hit it off with them really good because they're like young & have good senses of humor by and large. And also *fans self* some of them are hOTTTT! Lord!

They tried laughing gas on me when I had my wisdom teeth out, but it made me really really sick so didn't work, but the IV sedation worked like a charm. I had virtually no pain after. This implant procedure would be the most involved dental work I've ever had done, but I have to do it & not let my nerves get the best of me.

I already have appointments set up. I hope they aren't mad I cancelled the other 2 times, but I realize now that I have to do it or use a bridge the rest of my life (icck).

And it's my front two teeth too, so really no choice. My student dentist who'll be doing it is a hot furry guy (cub-like) & he was super sweet to me last time. I don't think I'll have any problems letting him work in my mouth  ;)

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »
I have two and have not regretted them. Been in a long time, but they did not cost $10,000 each. I would fact gather, find out if you have to pay anything. It is a phenomenal form of dentistry which, like ARVs, is always being improved upon.

Yeah they're ridiculously expensive per individual tooth! No way I could ever afford it on my own right now. But thankfully, where I go, the student clinic is with the university where I get my hiv care, & the state hiv/ryan white grant I have been on allows me to get free dental care even cosmetic because in my case it's my front two teeth that are missing due to the accident so they were able to get approval very easily for me to get them done because it's not just a cosmetic necessity, but simply needing permanent teeth to bite food & have proper bone structure in my mouth.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:01:39 am »
I chipped my two front teeth and had crowns or veneers put on.  Not sure the difference really.  To get all my teeth to look the same, they also put them on four other healthy teeth.  They sawed down all 6 teeth.  They literally looked like a saw, or something out of a scary movie.  The new teeth went over those saw teeth.  I was in the dental chair for 6 hours.  Not fun.

I also had this done at a dental school.  That could be why it took so long.  I just learned they all have to be replaced.  They didn't close the margins (dental speak) and it allowed food to get in.  The director was really pissed and she wasn't shy about saying it.  She said that was something they easily would have known and should have immediately remedied.  Soon after they were done, I complained about discoloration up around the gums.  The dental student said that was some blood and would go away.  It didn't.  We hope there isn't much decay.  I am actually not too upset, because I wasn't happy with the look.  They looked too fake.  They will now add more ridges or whatever, to make them look more real.  We are also going lighter.  I want to have my teeth whitened, but couldn't whiten too much, because I was stuck with the shade of the crowns/veneers.  They are paying to have them replaced, which is like $6,000 or somewhere around there.

It sounds like you don't have existing teeth to saw down, to do the procedure I had.  I know there is the procedure where the teeth snap into something they surgically implant into your gum.  Is that what they are doing?  The teeth can be snapped in and out. 

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:13 am »
I have had my front two teeth lumineered, which is similar to Teddy, but I still have my own teeth underneath, I mean there is some grinding down to hold it in place, and they cost $1K each. 

From what I understand about dental implants, they are going to put little screws in your gum line and then screw the teeth in place. Glad you will be knocked out for the process.

Good luck  ;)
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:43:31 pm »
Well, bad news. Since I cancelled the last two times I was scheduled to get implants, I now was told that they cannot do them. He said it "wasn't set in stone" but pretty much gave me the brush off. I had no choice, the first time I cancelled was due to being sick at the time, & the second was due to too much snow on the ground to even commute to the clinic. So they're going to turn me down because of that? He said, keep showing up to your appointments & demonstrate consistency and maybe they'll change they're minds. So I'm stuck wearing a highly uncomfortable bridge to hide the fact that I have two missing front teeth  :( Why does this keep happening can't anything ever go right? I mean I guess I could beg but if its a policy, then nothing I can do. I just want to get the rest of my teeth pulled because I hate not having two front teeth. Maybe they'll change their minds. I'm tempted to try and pull my own teeth at this point. It wasn't my fault that it snowed 10 feet in January & I couldn't make it to the appointment so why are they turning me down?

And my insurance does not cover implants. So guess I'm stuck wearing a bridge the rest of my life & having to never eat in front of anyone & hide the fact that I don't have two front teeth.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 05:16:50 pm »
I'm a bit nervous, even though they pulled my wisdom teeth & I had no problems. I was scheduled for the procedure, but both times I backed out before because I was nervous about it. But after soul-searching, I realize I have to do it, there's no other way,
Since I cancelled the last two times I was scheduled to get implants, I now was told that they cannot do them. He said it "wasn't set in stone" but pretty much gave me the brush off. I had no choice, the first time I cancelled was due to being sick at the time, & the second was due to too much snow on the ground to even commute to the clinic. So they're going to turn me down because of that? ......... It wasn't my fault that it snowed 10 feet in January & I couldn't make it to the appointment so why are they turning me down?

So, which reason did you give them for canceling - that you were nervous or you were sick/it snowed?

My guess would be that their policy is based off the fact that they schedule their students' training and when someone cancels last minute (for any reason), those students don't have their training opportunity.  These students are paying for their education and the school has an obligation to ensure that they get what they are paying for.  The reason student clinics are cheaper is to ensure that they have cases for their students to work on.

Mike

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 06:34:09 pm »
Well the first time last summer I had severe allergies so had to cancel before because of that. And the second time, I had to cancel at the last minute due to bad winter weather. The student dentist told me they had some new policy now that makes them have to cancel further procedures like implants after 2-3 cancellations. I mean I understand they blocked out the mornings for me & it was an inconvenience to them, but both times it was beyond my control. They have to get approval from faculty to do the procedure, but today the student dentist told me they had turned me down for a third try. He did tell me that it wasn't necessarily set in stone but he said for now they can't do it. He said for me to just keep hitting my regular appointments for cleanings & fillings, etc, and build up good faith with them and maybe in future another resident will agree to do the procedure.

But other than these two cancellations, I have attended every single one of my dental appointments with them and have always hit my appointments for the last 6 years for the countless root canals, fillings, endless crown work, etc. So not sure why they are holding two cancellations against me.

And meantime, I'm left with no two front teeth. Nothing but a gap. Thank god I have the bridge I can wear, but I don't know how long I can keep wearing it.

And it wasn't my fault that I ended up with a gap in my mouth. They should have known better than to try to cap my two front teeth which were in bad shape to begin with. So of course the crowns failed and now I have a gap and have to wear a bridge. The bridge looks very real noone can tell when I have it in, but it's very annoying.

I just hope I can convince them to change their minds. The cancellations were not my fault, & not having two front teeth is making me depressed even though I have the bridge. I'll just hope for the best & that they change their minds.  :-\

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:38 am »
Are you doing this at UK in Lexington?  I didn't think they even had a dental school?  Or, is this at UofL?  I go to UofL.  You could always try to get in here in louisville. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.