Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:21:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez confronts Gilead CEO on HIV drug pricing.  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Almost2late

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez confronts Gilead CEO on HIV drug pricing.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:13:32 pm »
Hey Zach, thanks for sharing this. She absolutely is giving them the hell they deserve.

https://youtu.be/DZgCHL91BFA

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:24:14 pm »
So bc of these hearings on this issue, good news..Prep is going generic earlier :)

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1131921962928943104?s=20

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:45:43 pm »
$6.00 per bottle is all it cost to produce a bottle of Truvada..

Just thought I'd share that and leave this here..

https://youtu.be/BUXSLmHaoQM

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:26:05 am »
Yea Gilead's prices are outta control.  I'm not for most of the things AOC has been spouting off, but this for sure hits home with me.  The price per pill of Genvoya is well over $100 USD a pill, WTF.  This would be a death sentence to most without insurance, our government handouts.  Shouldn't be that way.  Thailand is my exit strategy in the event meds become unavailable price-wise to me here in the future.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 08:42:49 pm »
This would be a death sentence to most without insurance, our government handouts.
without insurance, prices would have never gotten this high in the first place. the middle man always gets a cut, and that's why universal coverage (which would negotiate the price), like AOC supports, would be a pretty good plan. It works (gives access to health care and controls costs) in every other industrialized nation.

"government handouts" well that sounds a little prejudicial. If you mean Medicare, people worked to earn that and it's not a handout. If you mean Ryan White funding, that's money allocated to treat an epidemic and make sure people have quality healthcare

Shouldn't be that way.
yes, it shouldn't be that way; but it is that way for nearly every medication (ARVs and non-HIV meds) on the market. Drug price gouging is a terrible problem our Congress won't tackle - because of $$$ from the pharmaceutical companies.

The price per pill of Genvoya is well over $100 USD a pill, WTF.
oddly enough, since I started taking meds 27 years ago, my HIV meds have averaged out to about $3500 a month. While $100 a pill might seem outlandish, that's really just the regular price HIV treatment has been for more than 3 decades.   ::)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:06 pm »
leatherman,, you got too much time on your hands,, i can't tell by your post if you disagree or agree with my comments! hahahha,, whatever the case is,, doens't really matter,, the point is  THE DAMN MEDS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. 

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 03:04:36 pm »
I've long thought that if we could somehow get the public to wake up to the con played on them in our name they would be righteously outraged. Extraordinary HIV med profits have been subsidized and laid on taxpayers... TWICE in some cases with funded research. And if they don't really get it, that's our fault for not screaming loud enough.

As far as AOC. That woman has swagger, and what she said rang louder than anyone else in my time with this.

Nancy''s name is on the path beside the AIDS grove for fucks sake ... she needs to step up.

It doesn't cost that much to treat us, it's a fallacy played on the taxpayers and them gaslit to hate us to boot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:11:42 pm by zach »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.