Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 400
Total: 402

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 26715 times)

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: Atripla
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »
Hello again Oakmax -

As I mentioned in my previous post my WBC last week was very low so I went in and got an injection of Neupogen which helps your bone marrow produce white blood cells that fight infection.  About an hour ago I got a call from my doctor with this weeks WBC results and she said that even though I stopped taking the Valcyte there had been no improvement in my WBC count.

I asked her what my count was, and she said that over all the WBC was 1,800 but the ones that fight infection (neutrophils) were at zero!  So starting tomorrow I will start a two week period of daily injections of Neupogen to raise my WBC. 

Maybe that's the type of injection your doctor is talking about.  It's just a routine type of shot that they give in the arm.  In fact, I will be able to give myself the injections at home, which go in the stomach (where I have lots of fat!)  Really doesn't hurt or anything like that.  If it is Neupogen that they want to give you, one possible side effect is pain in your bones, usually your breastbone and lower back.  I had some mild pain for a day or so following my injection last week, but my doctor said that is a good sign because it means my system is working to produce the white blood cells.

In addition to stopping the Valcyte last week, I am also going to stop taking Bactrim and replace it temporarily with Dapsone because the Bactrim can also lower WBC.

Here is a link to more info on Neupogen if you need it.  And who knows your doctor may give you something completely different. 

http://www.thebody.com/nmai/neupogen.html

Whatever happens, I hope it works well for you and that your WBC counts go up quickly.

Kevin

Updated to add:  I just learned of another side effect of Neupogen - to my wallet.  I hope my insurance will cover it since it retails for $750.00 a dose, so for the two weeks I am supposed to take it, that would be over $11,000. Now I really feel sick. :'(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:05:06 pm by Tucsonwoody »
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 09:38:09 pm »
I started on Truvada/Sustiva and then tried Atripla for a month but my system could not handle it.  When I was on the 2 meds I took Truvada in the morning and Sustiva at night so my system was not gettiing wacked with everything all at once.   This is the difference between taking the meds separately vs. all at once.  So for those doctors who say "it should not matter" they are wrong.  It is all about timing!  Especially with the Sustiva...after 6 months the intense insomnia kicked in so instead of taking one 600mg tablet per day I am taking 3 x 200mg per day so my system does not get hit with it all at once.   I am taking one first thing in the morning followed by a fat-free protein shake (orange juice, strawberries, frozen raspberries, bannana, oats, protein powder) an hour later and then I do one 2 hours after lunch and the 3rd is at bedtime so the only annoying dose is the one during the day.   But side effects are MUCH less dramatic.  I still take the Truvada in the morning with my first dose of Sustiva.   

For those of you who can handle the Atripla be greatful....1 pill is a fantastic thing!!

Be Well!

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 01:06:30 am »
Just thought i would check before calling it a night... thanks for the info Kevin.

Well have to wait and see...the last test showed my WBC at 720 when they should be around1800.  Will wait to hear from my doctor on Friday.  I can't believe how good I feel and this is happening....

Do you think smoking pot have a affect on WBC... I read something online that it does??? Wish me luck! 

oakmax1
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 06:07:54 am »
HEY OAKMAX...
GOOD LUCK ON THE VISIT WITH UR DOC!!  MY DOC HAS NEVER TALKED ABOUT THE WBC SO THIS IS GOOD INFO INDEED....I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ON THAT TOO.  THANKS FOR THE "HEADS UP"!

BE WELL!

CRAIG
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 03:20:15 pm »
Hey Oakmax -

I am glad you're asking these questions, because I am learning more myself.  Since I have given up the weed for quite awhile now I know it isn't responsible for my low WBC.

Here is some info from Columbia Universities website - can't vouch for the accuracy but from other stuff I have read I think it's true.

"Long-term marijuana use can cause irreversible changes in both male and female reproductive organs, such as lowered sperm count in men and altered shape of the uterus in women. Lung cancer, emphysema, and lowered immune system responses, such as decreased white blood cell count, could also result from extended marijuana use."

So it maybe a contributing factor, but there could be other reasons too like any medications you're taking etc.  Here is a link to the site where I found this info in case you want to read the whole response to a question posted there.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3438.html

As always - I hope you see the improvement you need soon and let us know how you're doing.

Kevin

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2007, 08:29:46 pm »
Hey All,

Thanks for all your advice and information.  Thinking about leaving the marijuana alone for while.  Just so hard to give it up :o.... If my doctor said he wants to start the shots, I am going to ask him to give me a couple of weeks and stop smoking to see if that makes it the WBC go up.  If not, on with the shots, I think that a good way to look at it. 

Hope all is well with everyone, I am doing okay... I know, I feel great and I am seeing to it that I stay that way. 

Will check in sometime this weekend.

Oakmax1 

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2007, 08:47:37 pm »
I know what you mean about missing the medicinal effects of smoking :) !! 

Good luck when you see the doctor and if you do have to take the Neupogen, let me know if you have questions, after all I am now an expert after one week!

Kevin

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2007, 03:17:25 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Good NEWS!  for some reason my WBC went back up to 1100 from 700. My doctor can't explain it... maybe my body was fighting an infection at the time...who knows. He said it always up and down with me......  But he said everything seems find right now and not to worry.  I told him I feel great...   

I am not sure why my number are lower with the HIV Study Group I am in.  They take all my blood work for free to use in studies and I get the results for free, instead of billing my insurance.  My lab results are always higher.  I will be returning to the Study Group next month and take the test again with them.... be interesting to see the results.    Thanks everyone for your support and I'll be back to check in this week. 

If this site wasn't here, I don't know what I would do!!!!! 

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

OAKMAX1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:18:58 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline Leoblack22

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2007, 07:44:25 pm »
To all that have posted comments.  Thank you.  I have longed to find a site where there were actually people discussing the meds that I take.  I feel as if I have truly been informed about Atripla.  I'm going to ask my doctor about it at my next appointment.  I will definitely post my findings.  Keep ya head up ladies and gentlemen.  Walk in Peace.

Offline OakMax1

Re: Atripla and my weight
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2007, 08:03:38 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I been having crying spells today because of my weight lost, and it becoming so noticeable that everyone looking at me strange, asking why am I losing so much weight.  My clothes don't fit anymore... I am a big guy at 6"2', 220-225lbs now I am down to 205 and my clothes are falling off of me...

I came home today and just broke down and cried because I don't know what happening to me.  I eat three meals aday, and still nothing... I can't control it.
I don't have diarehea or anything.... I getting smaller by the minute.... pants don't fit in the rear and shirts look like a bag...face is getting smaller on the side... SCARED AND AFRAID!!!!  My doctor said my numbers are okay, even my WBC went back up to 1100 and I am still looking a mess! 

Should I change doctors because my doctor just not helping me.  I was in his office and out in 15 minutes after reviewing my lab work.... he only collecting my money and not helping me......  I have stop crying and heading on to school, I am a student and school just started back for the winter quarter. 

I just can't take this anymore and I want my life back, which I know is never going to come back!   Should I take a break from Atripla and just take a holiday?  I know my VL will come back and my tcell will get lower but I really have second thoughts about this medication and I really thinking about just stopping everything!  Any thoughts, anyone.....

Oakmax1

Offline koi1

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2007, 08:20:13 pm »
Hey Guy,

I am sorry to hear that you are losing weight. If yo start your own thread we can give you more support. Otherwise you will be hidden all the way down here. In any case, it is not always the meds that make people lose weight. You should get another opinion to perhaps find any underlying cause. fI am having a problem with wasting but it was before I started the meds.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2007, 01:28:11 am »
Hey Guys,

I will start a new thread, everyone I am okay...will explain shortly.

Oakmax1

Offline scott609

• Life is all about the journey.
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2007, 10:20:24 pm »
My partner's doctor insists that he stick with Atripla for a month.  Now she has him taking it in the morning.

All he wants is to go back to the three drugs.  Don't know why his doctor should care, the costs are the same.

Scott

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:02 pm »
Hey Scott -

May not apply in your partners case, but I have read that one reason some docs like Atripla is the once a day dose.  I guess for some people consistently taking their meds on schedule is an issue now or down the road and they figure one pill a day is easier and in the end produces better results.

Maybe the doctor has another reason of course, has your partner asked him? 

I hope whichever way it goes that he gets great results - good luck to you both!

Kevin

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2007, 11:27:22 pm »
I will be taking that same medication in two weeks.  I am glad to get some feedback about the side effects.  take care and I hope you will feel better.
Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2007, 09:25:27 pm »
Quick check in, better today... I have these moments and it like everything coming at me, all at once... Maybe it's the Atripla... making me lose it sometime with worry.  Eating more and feeling better today and the weight coming back... could be nerves... Wow, that all i can say...

Have a great weekend!

Oakmax
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:38:40 am by OakMax1 »

Offline Falkore

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2007, 12:40:47 am »
Well guys, it's been over a year since I started Atripla.  I still have the same dizziness if I stay up to long, and minor "hot flashes' but no other side effects.  Last night I was on the phone with a good friend of mine for over 2 hours.  During the start of our conversation I took my pill expecting to be off the phone and on my way to bed before the meds took effect.  However, we ended up talking for a while, and sure enough... about an hour and a half later I started to feel the meds kicking in.  My friend got a good laugh out of it because he said it sounded like I was drunk.  It's not just the dizziness, but a general feeling of disconnect that affects me. 

I hope all are doing as well as possible. 
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline koksi

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 12:21:27 pm »
Thanks for your posting.  It is interesting to read about your experience over a year.
seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.