Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:53:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 309
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: pushing out blood tests to 12 mths?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline friskyguy

pushing out blood tests to 12 mths?
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »
Hi all,

Currently testing my viral load and CD4s at 6 mth intervals......doctor Ok with this. Thinking about pushing out this to 12 mth intervals due to having to fly internationally to get this done, costs and related time contstraints. Fortunate that my numbers are stable and no issues.

What do you think?
Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Offline tednlou2

Re: pushing out blood tests to 12 mths?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:32:00 am »
I was just reading a study article about this, here on this site.  This article discusses every 6 months.  From reading other threads about this, I believe many here felt 12 months was too long?? 

Twice-Yearly Checkups May Be All That’s Needed to Control HIV

A recent study found that HIV-positive people with undetectable viral loads experience the same rates of virologic control whether they undergo checkups every three, four or six months. Challenging the current gold standard of quarterly doctor’s visits, the findings could ultimately help lower both the cost and hassle of HIV treatment for those who have stable HIV. April Buscher, MD, an attending physician at Durham VA Medical Center in North Carolina, announced the findings of her study at the IDWeek 2012 meeting in San Diego, first reported by MedPage Today. Conducting the study while she was a resident at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Buscher and her colleagues performed a retrospective cohort study that identified 1,512 men and 653 men, all of whom had undetectable viral loads at the beginning of the study. Dividing the cohort into subsets that saw their physicians at three, four or six-month intervals, the researchers found that in all three categories about 75 percent of patients maintained virologic control after one year. The data about those who waited six months between doctor visits may be limited, however, because that cohort was relatively small. The study also found that those who cancelled appointments were more likely to develop a detectable viral load.

http://www.poz.com/articles/761_23072.shtml

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:44:24 am »
Thanks Ted, I went searching for that article but you linked it first. 

I imagine some doctors might allow it, but I would never go that long.  I enjoy visiting my doctor every 4 months.  I guess I'd stress over not having my labs done more than yearly.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:50 am »
I get my viral load 2 x year and CD4 1 x year, see the doc 1 x year, nurse the other time.

The problem with long gaps between tests is if for some reason your viral load creeps up, you don't catch it in good time, and the possible bad consequences of this eg resistance, loss of CD4s etc, perhaps then more complicated treatment and need for more frequent monitoring. The key thing here perhaps for you in deciding is your confidence in adhering to the meds, and being honest with yourself if this is going off a bit. CD4 is an expensive test and 1 x year for this in my book is ok if your count is good.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:02 am »
Is there any way you can have your blood drawn where you live and send it off for testing? Then have the lab send the results to your doc? This might save you the cost of a flight each time. I'd look into this before I'd consider extending the time between labs.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »
That is what I was thinking.  Can you have bloodwork done where you're at?  I mean, it's not necessary to see your doc each time labs are done, especially once you know what the labs mean.

I am not sure how you pay for care.  I know many insurance companies charge you more for out of network providers.  I am not sure how that applies to having labs done internationally. 

Offline Pilot

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
My doc wants me to see him every 3 months but I go every six months.  I have been undetectable for many years and the numbers stay pretty much the same. His reasoning is that he does not see me enough to notice any changes in my physical appearance that I might miss and could be a sign of something happening.  But most of the guidelines I have read says every six months is fine and some programs will only allow every six months unless something new is happening.  So do what makes you feel comfortable.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »
I get labs done quarterly, visits every six months and have initiated the chat about moving to one appointment per year (and sent the POZ article this week to my ID to back up prior chats about this).

Offline friskyguy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:58:26 am »
thanks guys for your input.

cannot have bloods drawn here where i live due to risk of deportation upon being discovered with HIV. Same reason for sending blood supplies thru the post......dont think it can be done and would potentially draw much unwanted attention in any case.

Thanks newt for your suggestion. No problem to date with adherance and dont expect any problems with this going forward. However dont want to put myself in any danger just in case something goes wrong with the virus beyond my control.....so have decided to continue to fly roughly every 6 mths but yet can reduce medical costs by only testing for viral load as you recommended......as i am aware this is the most important variable due to my CD4 counts stable.

thanks again all
Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.