Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:37:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 474
Total: 477

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: *WORRIED ABT HIV RISK - INSERTIVE VAGINAL SEX*  (Read 16157 times)

Offline RMS

• Standard
*WORRIED ABT HIV RISK - INSERTIVE VAGINAL SEX*
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:21 am »
Hi Everyone,

I trust that you are all well. This is my first time on this forum and I would like to begin by thanking those individuals who take the time to help those in need.

I am a 26 year old male from South Africa. Last week I visited a strip club. The stripper gave me a massage. We didn't french kiss...though I did kiss her on the lips...I fingered her for less than 10 seconds...I had a small bruise on my middle finger (something I noticed two days later)...and...I had a b@#$job with a condom on...am I at risk? I know its always good to get tested...but is it necessary? I have been experiencing a few cold like symptoms, but they come and go...I think its more stress related.

Look forward to receiving your comments.

Thanking you in advance.

Best regards,
RMS

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: *WORRIED ABT HIV RISK - INSERTIVE VAGINAL SEX*
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:24 am »
Hi RMS,

HIV is a fragile virus, it is transmitted in very particular ways. Those ways are:

Unprotected vaginal and anal sex;
Sharing contaminated injecting equipment such as needles and syringes;
In some cases from HIV positive mother to her unborn or nursing infant.

HIV is not transmitted via mutual masturbation, fingering or getting blowjobs. It doesn't matter that vaginal fluids may have come in contact with your finger, bruised or otherwi

You were not at risk of infection from this encounter and you do not need to be tested for HIV as a result of this specific incident.

And you will stay HIV negative if you always use quality in date latex or polyurethane condoms and water based lubricants everytime you have anal or vaginal sex.

Given that you are sexually active you should be having a full sexual health screening at least once a year. Twice is better. If it's been a while since your last screening or if you've not had one before, you should visit your doctor or local clinic.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread. It contains links to our lessons on HIV transmission.

Regards,

MtD

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:04 am »
Thanks Matty the Damned...

Your swift reply was much appreciated. I can finally breathe better  :)

Take care and enjoy your day.

Thanks again,
RMS :)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:06:27 am »
Thanks Matty the Damned...

Your swift reply was much appreciated. I can finally breathe better  :)

Take care and enjoy your day.

Thanks again,
RMS :)

No problem RMS. I am glad I have been able to help you.

Take care. :)

MtD

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:49 am »
Good Day,

I trust that you are all well. I must begin by thanking all the moderators and posters on this site. You guys are truly a God send. I have a query regarding whether or not I have contracted HIV.

Two weeks ago, I had oral and insertive vaginal sex with two prostitutes. Not my proudest moment, I must admit  :'(.

During the encounter, I used protection in the form of condoms. There was no slippage and no breakage on any of the condoms. About 60 hours later, failing to convince myself that I had been protected, I began the 28 day course of Atripla as a PEP. This is my 11th day. The side effects initially were a bit harsh, but I have been coping reasonably well with the medication. I for some reason, cannot get passed the fact that I have contracted the virus  :'(. I think about it all day and all night  :'(.

What are your thoughts? Is there a chance that I may have contracted the virus? I was protected all the time.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
RMS

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43:49 am »
My thoughts are t hat you had no reason to start pep. You had no risk. There is no further discussion as you had protected intercourse. I am puzzled why you choose all the drama of pep an messaging this forum for a non event.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:17:51 am »
RMS,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

This is all about your guilty feelings over having visited sex workers as evidenced by your comment; "Two weeks ago, I had oral and insertive vaginal sex with two prostitutes. Not my proudest moment, I must admit." Stop it. Stop it right now.

You absolutely did NOT have a risk for hiv infection and you do NOT need PEP. That's something else you can stop right now.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Cut the drama, cut the PEP, and get on with your life. You haven't had a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:45 am »
Ann, jkinatl2,

Thank you for your advice. You haven't the slightest idea as to how much I appreciated it. I don't know whether it's the medication or whether it's just me...but it's like my mind is looking for ways to believe that I am positive. I continued with the PEP and Saturday is my last day. I apologize, but this is one thing I could not take a chance with. I can't stop thinking about this  :'(.

There is one thing that is still worrying me...I had protected sex throughout. As I mentioned, there was no slippage and breakage on any of the condoms. What worries me is that a month before the incident I had a cystoscope inserted into my urethra for a kidney stent. The part that worries me is that the sex worker was fingering herself and she put the condom on me. If there was any vaginal fluid inside the condom, could I have been at risk? My urethra would have healed by that time.

Thanking you in advance,
RMS

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:05:53 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:17:30 am »
So Team,

Do you think that I have had a chance of infection? Promise not to pester hereafter  :'(...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:56 am »
RMS,

No, you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection and your latest details do not change that fact. Please re-read your entire thread. Our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:46 am »
Ann, RapidRod, jkinatl2, MtD,

Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated. I know that it isn't easy answering the same questions time in time out. You guys really are a God send. Thank you.

No more Internet searches...no more getting into similar type of situations...no more developing flu like symptoms because of stress...time to move on now... :)

Thanks again,
RMS

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:33 am »
Ann, RapidRod, jkinatl2, MtD,

Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated. I know that it isn't easy answering the same questions time in time out. You guys really are a God send. Thank you.

No more Internet searches...no more getting into similar type of situations...no more developing flu like symptoms because of stress...time to move on now... :)

Thanks again,
RMS

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:24 am »
Guys...

I've reached a break point  :'(

I completed my last course of Atripla this past Saturday...and I am still reeling from the guilt  :'(...I can't concentrate on work or studies...please help...this is my final question...

A couple minutes after protected intercourse...I washed my penis with water and a general cleaning agent...what I am worried about is that when I removed the condom I could have got vaginal fluids onto my hands and thus onto my penis as well...one of my mates just mentioned to me that he read a study in which washing your penis after intercourse increases your risk of HIV transmission...not the thing I wanted to hear after making such good progress  :'(

Please help...this is my final request...I know I have to be tested at a certain point...but is it necessary for this particular incident?

Thank you,
RMS

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:26 am »
Reread the replies you were already given.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »
You took unnecessary PEP for an incident that was not a risk for HIV in the first place.

I am pretty sure you know the replies you are likely to get from this point forward.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »
Hey Ann, MtD, RapidRod, jkinatl2

Back unfortunately  :(

I have made a lot of progress recently...been on depression pills...feeling better as the days go by...Ann, you are right...my guilt has consumed me...it isn't the easiest being the breadwinner for 6 people  :(

I have two more questions...I know that I had protected sex...

If for some reason I had bruising or a cut on my penis (which wasn't fresh of course)...would there have been a possibility I had maybe contracted the virus when the sex worker placed her vaginal fluid on the condom before I used it?

And..if vaginal fluids may have got onto my hand when I was washing my penis with a very alkaline substance and water...and if there was bruising or a cut (not fresh) on my penis...could I have contracted the virus?

I had tested negative yesterday and will continuously test...but was there any possibility?

Look forward to receiving your comments. Thank you for helping during the toughest time of my life.

Thank you and best regards,
RMS

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »
Just to clarify...when I say not fresh...I mean not bleeding...sorry team  :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:57 pm »
RMS,

Once again your added details do not change the fact that you had NO risk for hiv infection. Your negative test results are not going to change no matter how much time and money you waste on testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 03:00:00 am »
Thank you very much Ann...I am trying very very hard to get over this guilt...really I am...thank you very much for all your help...as I mentioned before, you guys are really are a God send...over the past few weeks I've tried to look at every possibility...whether or not I used condoms...because I did...managed to find the condom wrappers 2 weeks ago...don't ask me how, but I did manage to find it  :)...

I never for one second was paranoid about HIV straight after the incident...but as the days went by...it really consumed me

Looked at every possibility...I know that I will get over this...guess time heals all wounds...

Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.

Regards,
RMS

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 08:29:46 am »
RMS,

If you cannot get over the guilt by yourself, it's time to seek therapy. We cannot help you with that here.

If you continue to post over this no risk situation, you'll be given a time out. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:02:46 am »
Hi Everyone,

I trust that you are all well...I'm not  :-[

Yesterday I went to a stripclub...I got a massage from a prostitute...we kissed on the mouth and thereafter I proceeded to rub my penis against her vagina...I had my underwear on and there was no penetration...I did rub the tip and shaft of my penis against her wet vagina though...thereafter I mastrubated on my own...I don't think I had any vaginal fluids on my hand when I was masturbating...If I did...
does this put me at risk?

Must I start PEP because its only been 24 hours post exposure...please help...did any on the events described above...the kissing...rubbing...or masturbation put me at risk?

Best regards,
RMS

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 07:03:18 am »
None of those actions would justify PEP.  They were all no risk activities.  HIV is transmitted via: 1) Unprotected anal or vaginal sex; 2) Dirty needles, such as sharing IV drug equipment, or getting a tatt done with a dirty needle; 3) Mother to child transmission. 

If you are having any unprotected sexual activities, whether with a woman or man, you need to use condoms correctly and consistently.  This is how to prevent HIV.  But, kissing, rubbing, and masturbation are not risk activities. 
Also, if you are sexually active, you need to have a full sexual health check up at least once a year to make sure you stay STD-free.  And use condoms until you are ready to be in a monogamous relationship and you and your partner go together to get screened for STD's and can share results.

If you do this, you should expect to remain HIV-free.  Good luck, now get on with your life.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:20 am »
Hi Betty,

Thank you for your reply. Would there have been any chance of exposure if the vaginal fluids passed through my underwear and entered the penis?

Do I need an HIV test for this incident? If so, would 3 months be conclusive and definitive for an insti test?

Thank you again Betty. Really appreciate it.

Best regards,
RMS

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:24 am »
RMS, You have been told before about posting outside of your thread so please comply with the rules . Also, you have been thoroughly advised on what is and is not a risk for HIV so read your thread again . 

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Rod answered your new questions already and the answer is not going to change . HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RMS

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:18 am »
Hi Jeff,

I apologise for using a new thread. People that use this forum 90 percent of the time do so for revalidation for their own personal case. I know all of you guys answer the same questions time in time out...all I can say is thank you for helping us all.

Just a last question from my side...is it necessary for me to get tested? Or can I just move on with my life...

Thanks again. God bless.

Best regards,
RMS

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 03:23:32 am »
 As Jeff has already stated your new questions has already been answered and is not going to change .

Quote from Jeff, please read again.

HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Stop stressing and move on with your life, enjoy and play safe.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.