Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:27:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 531
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 502
Total: 503

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: charities  (Read 3144 times)

Offline em

charities
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:17:39 am »
all these charities asking for money at the grocery store and other stores check out of all places  and it seems they are everywhere else looking to get a donation for there causes . 

I recall a while back sitting in my apartment with advanced AIDS  . granted this was over twenty years ago. I saw all these AIDS fundraisers going on.  I was behind on my rent and bills eating rice and ramen noodles that was all I could afford and they went right through me . all that kept going through my mind was I am going to be dead soon .

Not once was there a knock at my door from some charity saying we raised money for people with AIDS and we are here to help you . Maybe I needed to reach out to contact them or whatever . I had a social worker that maybe could have told me about these charities but did not ?

It was a long time ago but it makes me  think when they ask for money does it really go to help those they say they are helping ?

I have donated out of guilt and not wanting the people behind me at the register to think I am heartless and do not care about others . but it makes me wonder if those people they say they are going to help are not sitting alone someplace suffering wondering why the world does not care . some charity organizer is out there buying a new suit, car and  beach house  while planing some expensive vacation on the money raised to help those in need while they get nothing . 

I do not know but this haunts me and makes me wonder about people saying one thing and doing something entirely different when no one is looking .

just wanted to see if anyone else thinks this might be

all the best to you

EM

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: charities
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:51:53 am »
Personally, It depends on the charity.

When they have bag packing events here, if it's a local registered charity that I know, I'll give money.  I'll avoid giving to any international charities or anything not registered though.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:56:40 am »
Just to add here we have The Charities Regulator, so it's all registered and they have to publish the books yearly and publicly so you can see where the funding is being spent.

Not sure if that is the same in the US?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:31:38 am »
Not once was there a knock at my door from some charity saying we raised money for people with AIDS and we are here to help you . Maybe I needed to reach out to contact them or whatever . I had a social worker that maybe could have told me about these charities but did not ?
It was a long time ago but it makes me  think when they ask for money does it really go to help those they say they are helping ?   
I have to say I have chewed on those same sour grapes. After my bouts of aids/PCP and deaths of 2 partners, all I've ever wished for is for someone to bring ME the damned casserole this time. Oh, I'm still too good of a guy and will sometime in the future be burned again for being a good guy but that doesn't mean I have to like all the times people have stepped on me after I helped them. My HIV volunteer/advocacy work has been a 2-edged sword. I helped raised a lot of awareness and funding and engaged in some very fulfilling work; but in my times of need, there wasn't any help. Ce la vie though. I've gotten through a lot worse than being disrespected or untreated by other people. And like you, I often have to wonder the who/where/what/why of how others have gotten assistance.

I have donated out of guilt and not wanting the people behind me at the register to think I am heartless and do not care about others . but it makes me wonder if those people they say they are going to help are not sitting alone someplace suffering wondering why the world does not care . some charity organizer is out there buying a new suit, car and  beach house  while planing some expensive vacation on the money raised to help those in need while they get nothing . 
what donations (money) I have ever given have always been to some local organization that I know. They are always established agencies; not friends, or start-ups, or fly-by-night organizations. And quite frankly, they have almost always been agencies that handle HIV treatment. The only other agency I have ever donated money to has always been my local fire department. I only earn a small SS amount so my donations are small but it is extra to what I pay for the pancake breakfast or bag of popcorn sold at the firefighters' safety-fair booth. I know my small amount means little in the big scheme of things, but I had a house fire a long time ago. Those firefighters saved my home (although greatly damaged) - but most importantly saved my 5 cocker spaniels. Welcome Wagon never knocked on my door; the police never caught any of the people who robbed my houses; but the firefighters DID come to our rescue.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:49:05 am »
so it's all registered and they have to publish the books yearly and publicly so you can see where the funding is being spent.
that's good advice - research. before changing states (and doctors, and Ryan White funding, and state Medicaid, and 1000 other things) I researched the financials of the local AIDS service organization for my new location and knew exactly their funding, their payments and how much the director was earning.

A few yrs prior the largest local (Charlotte) ASO had imploded as the director and several management staff were charged with embezzling and other crimes. A huge amount of PLWH in the area were forced to find other providers, and even providers had to find new positions in other agencies or open new practices. The smaller provider I was looking at (just across the state line in SC) had been in business since long before that major provider blowing up, had steady growth, and was financially sound. Then I looked up federally-required Ryan White documents on my potential provider to make sure they were actually delivering quality health care with that financial standing. Having survived all the aids I sure wasn't going to move somewhere where they couldn't treat me properly and keep me alive. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:11:59 am »
Oh, that this subject should come up now as I'm facing destitution by the end of the year, if not sooner.

My big name ASO is no help; a foul-tempered, over-caffeinated case manager half my age who regards people like me with contempt, telling me disability is unlikely to even be approved for two years.  So, in desperation, I took my SSR early.  I've kept my head above water, but still fight PTSD (or whatever they're calling it for us LTS), long term clinical depression and anxiety.  I fight fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath.  While they're spending USD300K on an art installation, I'm about to become homeless.  In desperation, I even started a GoFundMe page.

For all the ASO's glowing, self-congratulatory talk and PR, I'm simply one person who, at 64, has survived with this for 27 years and who needs some people to genuinely care for me by taking some of the pressure off.  I wonder if they realize just how far that indulgent $300K art installation would go towards helping one person?
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline wardp

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 08:56:35 am »
Thank God for the red Cross and the Thai red Cross in particular. If the super rich stopped hiding their billions in the Cayman islands etc the world would need less charities. How much  money does someone really need to live on.? Greed is a terrible affliction. Charities are now big business just look at how much the top guys get paid by some of these charities. It's outrageous.
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 03:28:35 pm »
The main cause is the exposure of the marginalised, side-tracked, less fortunate and needy individuals and/ or minorities. The act of exposing their vulnerability for me is overwhelming most of the time as it commodifies their pain and suffering.

When I look at international agencies that addresses issues related to those sort of stuff, it makes me wonder how each year the attention swift from an area of concern to another. Just like magic. For example: the sustainable development goals SDG1 and SDG5 .. etc.

In developing countries, I knew through a well-off connection, that three quarters of ANY international aid/ help/ donation goes to local state while the rest goes for the main cause. And yes, you see them in their fancy cars and mansions, living a life that is so unreal to be true.

I trained myself to look at things from a stand point theory; when I want to give and/ or help, I surely know somebody who knows someone who is in need. I go directly and I contribute.

Whilst the world now seems to be so complicated more than ever before, people (like you and myself) are more aware of what's going on around them.

Light all the way,
Prince

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.