Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:56:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Raised Security Level--At All U.S. Airports  (Read 29778 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Raised Security Level--At All U.S. Airports
« on: August 10, 2006, 11:24:31 am »
Hello Everyone

With the news breaking about the foiled plot in London, the TSA has raised the threat level on all US originating flights (domestic and international) to orange.

What this means is still unfolding, but according to the most recent news article the following items can not be in your carry-on bags (meaning you will probably have to put these items in your checked bag).

Make-up
Toothpaste
Hair gel
etc.

Just about anything liquid actually.

The only exceptions we saw noted were prescription medications and baby fomula.

It also means that clearing security at neary every airport is going to take longer.  Since all of us, excluding our Canadian friends, are flying "international" this means we are even more likely to face longer times to clear securiy.  So you will want to get to the airport at least 2 hours early!

We'd advise everyone to try and stay abreast as the story unfolds.

This will have no impact on the gathering other than as we've mentioned above.

AMG Coordinator

Edit to add:

We aren't clear if the ban on liquids and gels applies to carry-on only, or if they are prohibited completely (including checked bags).  In one place the story says:

“Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane.”

In another the story says all liquids and gels are banned on all flights period.

Stay tuned, by the time we all are ready to leave, this will likely be over or certainly the rules made clearer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:32:04 am by AMG Coordinator »

Offline AMG Coordinator

Re: Raised Security Level--At All U.S. Airports
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:19 pm »
Here's what you need to know:

The Transportation Security Administration instituted the following measures after a terror plot in Britain was thwarted:
 Liquids are banned from carry-on luggage and cannot be taken through security checkpoints. That includes drinks, toothpaste, perfume, shampoo, hair gel, suntan lotion and similar items. Drinks purchased in the airport cannot be carried onto flights.
 Medications will be allowed but must be presented for inspection at security checkpoints.
 Mothers can bring baby formula on board, but only after drinking it in front of security officials first.
 All shoes must be removed and placed on an X-ray belt for screening.
 Passengers are also asked to arrive at least two hours early to allow for additional screening.
 Passengers traveling to the United Kingdom should contact their airline for information about any extra security measures or precautions that might be required. Laptop computers, mobile phones and iPods are among items banned on British flights.

Source: The Associated Press, Transportation Security Administration • Print this

AMG Coordinator

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »
I'd like to add this. On the news they mentioned something about meds. Passengers going through security with meds must have their names on the bottles..and it MUST be the same as on their passport /or idendity card, otherwise you won't leave Trudeau airport ( Dorval ) with them.

The Canuck

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:25:33 pm »
Well, POO!

I guess I will have to arrive at Tucson airport fifteen minutes early, as there are never many flights at five in the morning anyway.  Hell if you leave at noon, you can arrive 30 minutes early, and spend it all at the gate waiting for the plane.  I love small towns.

Claude, thanks for the heads up.  I guess I will carry my herbs for the day, but place the rest in my suitcase.  I have several herbal supliments which my Doctor cannot perscribe, due to the Veterans System.  They don't allow doctors to recommend herbs, but mine does.  My Alpha Lipoic Acid is still very effective for me most of the time, and then there are about four more that I use regularly.  I think I will chance it in taking in enough for two days.  The other herb will be nicely baked into some brownies, and sealed in checked baggage.  One can only hope.

IN Love, and Anticipation.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 01:45:10 pm »
Well, this just SUCKS because I'm not planning to check any luggage! (might change my mind this weekend, though)

Whoever heard of making something dangerous out of a bottle of lube?  RIDICULOUS, I say!

Offline sfca415

• love this place
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 01:45:27 pm »
Mothers can bring baby formula on board, but only after drinking it in front of security officials first.

This actually refers to breast milk as well as formula.  That's right.  Drink up!   ::)

It happened to a friend a few years ago in the post-Sept 11 era.  He was traveling with his infant son, and a small cooler of breast milk, courtesy of his sister, who had been kind enough to pump and freeze for him.  The TSA screener asked him to drink it.  He explained that there were certain things he would do for the good of national security, but drinking his sister's breast milk was not one of them.  My friend offered to let his son drink some, but they refused this.  He needed to go through several levels before someone would agree that he didn't need to drink it himself.

Thankfully, his son's name was not on a TSA no-fly list.  Remember the cases publicized last year, when hundreds of families were denied boarding because the name of their child was on "the list?"  Rather than accept that a 2 year old child was most probably not a terrorist (except in the household sense), TSA actually denied boarding to people until birth certificates and passports could be faxed to TSA.  Lovely. (link below to the story from Aug 2005)

With each incident, will people happily give up more personal liberty in the name of security?  This is one of the issues dealt with by John Dean in his new book Conservatives Without a Conscience.  As more people agree to a more and more authoritarian government, slowly the distance to fascism is bridged. Yes, that John Dean, from the Nixon administration.  Excellent reading, by the way.  Here's a short interview with him on the subject:

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Video_50_year_study_says_conservatives_0711.html

Infant terrorist story:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2005/08/15/national/w115806D06.DTL&type=printable
cd4+ 617 30% undetec - Jul06
cd4+ 221 17% 32K - Dec01
cd4+ 640 41% 5K - Feb96
current meds: Reyataz+Norvir, Viread, Epzicom, Valtrex, Wellbutrin
+ 1992, first meds 2002: Viramune (nvp), Zerit (d4t), Epivir (3tc) -- (m184v mutation & resistant to non-nukes, so no Atripla)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:46:52 pm »
I'm so glad I decided to depart from Birmingham instead of Atlanta.   Tim is right, the smaller airports are much easier to deal with.

This is getting PERSONAL now....when the terrorists are keeping me from taking my toothpaste and mouthwash in my carry-on!  >:(

Alan

PS - I am going to have to start out SO early on Thursday morning....I'll have to leave home NO LATER than 6 a.m.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:22 pm »
Whoever heard of making something dangerous out of a bottle of lube?  RIDICULOUS, I say!

Creighton,

They are afraid of liquid/gel explosive..so a substitution is possible and they don't want to take any chances. There won't be any problems with the Thong though.  :D

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »
Alan,
My flight leaves at 6:00am, and usually that wouldn't be a problem, as I am only 55 miles from the airport.  Now we will have to leave home no later than 4:00am, which isusually my wake up time.  Oh well, I might be a tad bit ripe by the time I arrive in the afternoon. 

I vote for train travel, thanks very much.

In curious wonder.
Lynn Lavne

Dan J.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 02:06:57 pm »
I hope the Hotel has complimentary shower gel & shampoo. My flight leaves Nashville @ 6 AM. I plan on being there around 3 AM.

Worse case scenario I will raise my arm and knock out security with my stanky pitts. LOL

Dan

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 02:09:13 pm »
Moff, why do you bake your Centrum Silver vitamins into brownies?

Hal ;)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:50 pm »
I hope the Hotel has complimentary shower gel & shampoo. My flight leaves Nashville @ 6 AM. I plan on being there around 3 AM.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you can bring these as long as it's not into your handbag. It means those can be possibly put into the luggage you leave at the airline check up point for getting your on board card.

If I'm wrong, then no doubts the hotel has shampoo in each room..don't know for the gel though.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 02:15:25 pm »
OK Claude,

This one is for you.  Do you know if there is a large supermarket, or drug store, within walking distance of the Hotel.  This would alleviate alot of stuff that we need to take with us.  I always like to go shopping first, and get the snacks, drinks, and other sundry items for the hotel room.  This would be some nice information to know.

Thank you.

In Love.
Lynn Lavne

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 02:20:49 pm »
Hi Tim,

I'm not sure about the supermarket as I never really paid attention to that. I guess there must be one somewhere and we can ask around. There's at least one drug store ( if not two ) and not that far from the hotel.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 03:07:18 pm »
When I worked in a hotel we had toothpaste, toothbrush,shampoo,conditioner,lotoin,shower caps, tissue, really anything you need while you are there. Also the hotel has stores in it so you can pick up these thing there.

I guess all you meen will just have to shave your head like I have done I know I will not need hair gel.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 03:12:50 pm »
Currently, the recommended arrival time to check-in for international flights is 3 hours. 

I highly recommend anyone traveling to Montreal abide by this and not the normal 2 hour time frame. 

Many airports, in addition to confiscating carry-on luggage, are also putting passengers through two body searches. 

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 03:23:10 pm »
Oh, GEEZ!!

I was having to leave for the airport at 3:30 a.m. for a 6:15 flight to Toronto as it was before all this crap! >:(

Guess I'm going to have to leave at 2:30 a.m. now. (I live an hour away from the Sacramento airport!)

Contact lens saline is most probably included in this list of items, too, don't you think??

Gosh darn it.

Zephie
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline peter

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 03:36:19 pm »
In response to Tim's question, yes there is a Supermarket nearby, it's called IGA and it's located in the Complexe Desjardins, on St. Urbain and St. Catherine street, it's about a 10 minute leisure walk from the hotel.

I know this area real well so if you all need any more info, feel free to ask :)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 03:56:32 pm by peter »

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:20 pm »
Contact lens saline is most probably included in this list of items, too, don't you think??

Forbidden too according to our news.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Dennis

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 04:48:17 pm »
Zephyr,

U might want to check with your individual airline.  There's been a lot of confusion regarding the new security screening measures, even amongst the travel community. 

During my cnference calls with the major airlines, currently, only airlines enroute from the UK to the USA are restricting liquids to be brought within the cabin.  Flight traveling from the US (domestic or internationally), although less restrive, have seen beefed security measures.  Today, only 25 airports have implemented body searches at the gate.  Tomorrow, almost every major airport will implement this security measure. 

As is common with the airlines, these new procedures are sure to change consistently within the 24 to 72 hours.  I'm recommend everyone check the website of their airline 24 hours prior to arrival for the most current information.  I've included direct links for a few of the major airlines below. For those not listed, individual advisories can be accessed directly from the airlines home page.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/index.jsp

http://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/news/travelnoticesecurity.aspx?SID=E314845C30324D7CA810A93954E54B34

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51802,00.html

http://www.nwa.com/features/advisory.html

You can also visit www.tsa.gov for a more generalized overview of the most current security implementations.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:54:32 pm by Dennis »

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 05:04:47 pm »
At this time these restrictions apply to hand checked luggage as these do not go through the same kind of screening that checked luggage does.  Minimal hand luggage is recommended because of the more extensive checking that will happen at security.

The hotel is very close to Pharmaprix (large drug, grocery, and convenience store in the Village.)  If is just a few blocks to the east of the hotel on rue Sainte-Cathernine.  They have all the items you would have been tempted to put in your hand luggage and fairly inexpensive.

Lube on the airplane seems only necessary when one wants one of those at 35,000 feet encounters (the Mile High Club.)  I am guessing that those activities are suspending during the current security alert.  LOL!

The hotel will certainly have complimentary amenities, although probably not lube.  The B&B I usually stay at in Montreal does provide lube and condoms however!  The thong we have all been discussing will certainly make for an interesting check of the contents of hand luggage.

Some of this may be relaxed by next week, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Nevertheless, I am still looking forward to meeting you all .... less than a week to go!!!!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 05:08:29 pm »
Dennis:

Thank you for the links and recommendations.  Your suggestion that we all check our specific carrier's web site 24 hours prior to departure is excellent.

Peter:

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for answering the question about a nearby grocery store.  You mentioned you know the area around the hotel very well.  Maybe, if you'd be willing that is, you could start a new thread here in this forum giving some information about the following:

1.  Grocery store
2.  Drug store
3.  Liquor store

And anything else you think we might find helpful.  I know all of us would sure appreciate it if we knew where to find these things without having to go look for them.

BTW, I hope we get a chance to meet you if you're in the "neighborhood."   ;D

AMG Coordinator

Edit to add:  Oops Gary, I didn't see your post before I added mine.  Thanks for the info guy!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:13:00 pm by AMG Coordinator »

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 05:18:26 pm »
AMG Coordinator,

There's one liquor store in the village and not too far from the Hotel...and certainly others around. They are easily identified with their red burgundy banner with the words '' SAQ '' written in white on them.

It's also possible to buy wine in grocery stores but overall the quality of those is less and prefer by far to buy this at SAQ. Liquor in general has to be bought at the SAQ as well since grocery stores are very limited on that side, actually next to nil.

It's always best to buy beers in grocery stores as they usually have lower prices.

Indeed Peter can start a thread on the subject as he wants to. Gary already informed us about the drug store nearby.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 05:32:40 pm »
I should also add that the hotel is right at the Berri-UQAM Metro station and it is quite easy to take the subway all over Montreal, but especially for shopping.  You will all be pleased with how convenient this will be.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 05:56:30 pm »
As a frequent airline traveler here are the rules as of today:

Aug 10, 4:27 PM EDT…
U.S. authorities banned the carrying of liquids onto flights
after the arrest of 24 people in an alleged plot to blow up U.S.-bound planes using explosives disguised as drinks and other common products.

Everything from bottled water, mouthwash, perfume, shaving cream to maple syrup and fine wine, make-up, including lip gloss, sunscreen and other toiletries must go  into your checked baggage, where liquids are permissible. People without checked bags have to throw out the banned items.

Do not even attempt to try bringing on items that are gelled or liquid.
You will be pulled out of line and hand-searched and possibly miss your flight.

Since your meeting is only a few days away you better arrive at least
3- hours before your scheduled flight.  If you have electronic car keys leave the electronic part at home and take only your keys.

Wear shoes that will come off easily as you will have to take them off so the shoes can go through the x-ray machine.

On your return flight follow the same rules.

Going to Canada is considered international and the old arriving 2 hours before flight time may not be enough since these new procedures are just taking effect.

As for carrying meds: They need to be in the original bottle from the pharmacy with the label intact, any letter from your doctor saying you need to have these with you always helps, your name/address must match the one on your license or passport your using.
If it does not then put your meds in your checked baggage or they will get thrown out.

It is not really that difficult if you just follow the rules they are making up.
If everyone did the lines would not be so bad.

Hope you all have a safe and fun trip!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 06:05:09 pm »
BUGGER IT ALL

This could take me TWO days to get there and FIVE days to get home...it took me four days getting home from Toronto last year..if there are going to be long delays and missed flights this could mean I will miss out on my overnight stay in LA..last year was an adventure ...this is just a bloody nuisance.

Oh well these things are sent to try us.

Hugs
Jan
Who wants her perfume and toothpaste on board with her)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 07:27:53 pm »
FYI the hotel sits over the Berri-UQAM Metro station and has a small mall right below the hotel.  In that mall is a fresh food supermarket and a great backery.  Directly across the street is a pharmacy, that has anything and everything that you might need.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:06 pm »
Pretty much redundant, but here is the bulletin that went out to travel agents just a short time ago.

To all ARC-accredited Travel Professionals:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has requested travel industry assistance with the dissemination of their Guidance for Airline Passengers.
Travel professionals are asked to assist with the dissemination of the attached guidance information to your clients planning on traveling by air.

If you are unable to open the attached Homeland Security document, the same information may be collected from the Transportation Security Administration site at www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change-passenger_guidance.shtm.

If you are unable to collect the information through either of the before mentioned means, please copy the text underneath.

GUIDANCE FOR AIRLINE PASSENGERS

Raised Threat Levels:

-  The U.S. threat level is raised to Severe, or Red, for all
         commercial flights flying from the United Kingdom to the U.S.
     -  The U.S. threat level is raised to High, or Orange for all
         commercial aviation operating in the U.S., including international
         flights. Flights from the U.S. to the U.K. are also Orange.

Increased Aviation Screening Procedures:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will be implementing a series of security measures - some visible and some not visible -- to ensure the security of the traveling public and the Nation's transportation system.
TSA is immediately implementing following changes to airport screening
procedures:

-  NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY ON
        BAGGAGE. SUCH ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all
        beverages, shampoo, sun tan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel,
        and other items of similar consistency.

Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or
             small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name
             that matches the passenger's ticket; and insulin and essential
             other non-prescription medicines, which all must be presented
             for inspection at the checkpoint.

-  Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the checkpoint)   
        must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted
        on board the aircraft.

-  Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a
        more extensive screening process.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant.

How every passenger can assist in security:

-  Pack lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening
     -  Arrive earlier than usual at the airport
     -  Cooperate with TSA personnel at checkpoints and with airline
        personnel at all gates
     -  Be attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity and report it
        to authorities

Increased Border Protection Procedures:

-  U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement
        efforts in international arrival areas including the use of
        advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage
        and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment,
        specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection
        technology. 

-  DHS has also mandated that all flights from the U.K. transmit
        passenger manifest information for intensive screening prior to
        departure from the gate.  In addition, passengers on these flights
        and all other international flights will be subject to heightened
        inspection upon arrival in the U.S. 

###

Offline Basquo

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 08:36:22 pm »
Thanks, terrorists, now it's going to be SPIT CITY for some poor bastard in the loo! :'(

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 02:34:50 pm »
This might not be the best time to try to smuggle a condom full of weed into or (especially) out of Montreal. You know who you are :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 08:10:37 pm »
We were told even books were not allowed, as they could have a secret space.

OML......I will have to play with myself. Luckely I will travel business, due to my former job as a flightattendant,so they have games on screen.

Hermie

Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Dan J.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 01:24:12 am »
Are there any restrictions on electronic devices?

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 04:48:58 am »
Dan,

You are not supposed to bring them on board.
Cellphones, MP3, laptops etc...

It was on Tv here that all these should NOT go in your carry-on luggage.

Also your vibrator...

lol

Hermie
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 05:52:56 am by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 05:08:43 am »
Actually, that applies only to UK passengers. In the USA, you can still bring laptops and cell phones and iPods and the like. Only liquids are disallowed.

I've been keeping a sharp eye on the tsa web site, as well as the website for my airline.

I imagine that the ban on electronics in the UK will not last long. Our business travelors will nto stand for it, and insurance companies do not cover any checked electronics.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Cliff

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2006, 05:17:09 am »
Yes, it won't last long.  My firm has already issued complaints to the government that forcing employees to check-in laptops is too restrictive and dangerous, (it prevents your from work and checked baggage is prone to being stolen, damaged and lost).  Plus the government (or the airlines) are liable...last year TSA had to pay me $250 cause some jerkoff security worker lost or stole some of my clothes when they searched my bag after I checked it in.  I can just imagine the number of complaints the TSA, (and the UK equivalent), will get for lost, stolen or damaged laptops.

Offline Trish

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 10:36:41 am »
I'm under the assumption that John & I will have no problem getting into Canada since we are driving from NY.  Although we will have to go through security at KCI airport tomorrow morning as we head to JFK.  All my liquid products will be in the checked luggage, so I'm sure there will be no problems, other than arriving early.  But at KCI, the lines are few especially at that time of the morning -- 4 a.m.  Early to bed tonight.

I just want to wish everyone safe travels and no headaches.  Just follow the rules and everything should be okay.  It's really all we can do.  Hopefully things will simmer down shortly before everyone takes off.  Good luck all and please have a safe flight wherever you are travelling from.

Much love,

Trish :-*
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Trish

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 10:43:55 am »
As far as Electronics go...

There are no restrictions... laptops, mp3's, Ipods, etc. are allowed on board.  This applies to the U.S., not sure about overseas.

Here is a link to the TSA - freguently asked questions...

http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tsa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=254&p_created=1155227254&p_sid=9vaEFUei&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:55:08 am by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Dennis

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 02:20:51 pm »
Laptops and cell phones are being permitted.  I traveled from MIA to ATL last evening on Delta and didn't have problem bringing either on board.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/new-procedures.shtm

Our Travel Assistant
New Security Procedures

TSA has changed security screening procedures at all U.S. airports, banning liquids and gels at security checkpoints and aboard flights.  This means that you will not be permitted to bring any liquids or gels past the screening checkpoint or on board, with a few exceptions.

While we can not provide a comprehensive list of liquids that will and will not be permitted on board, the primary exceptions to this rule are:

Baby formula or breast milk when traveling with an infant
Prescription medication, provided the prescription matches the passenger's name
Certain essential non-prescription medication, such as insulin
While baby formula, breast milk, and certain medications will be permitted past the screening checkpoint and on board, please be aware that these items will be subject to physical inspection.  You will not be required to taste these liquids in the presence of a security officer.

We suggest, to the fullest extent possible, that you pack all liquids and gels – including shampoo, toothpaste, perfume, hair gel, suntan lotion and all other items with similar consistency in your checked baggage to minimize any delays at the screening checkpoint.

Some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however, this is left to the discretion of the security officer.  To minimize delays and hassle, we recommend that you pack all cosmetics in your checked baggage.

Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the screening checkpoint) will not be allowed on board, and must be consumed before boarding.

Laptop computers, cellular phones, iPods, and other portable electronic devices are still allowed on board an aircraft. These items must still be screened at the security checkpoint.

In the event a security officer identifies a prohibited item in your baggage, you will be required to either check that item with your checked baggage, or dispose of it at the checkpoint.

These polices apply to ALL domestic and international flights originating in the United States, including flights to the United Kingdom.  For flights to the United Kingdom, TSA security officers will perform an additional physical inspection of all carry on baggage at the departure gate. For all other flights random gate inspections will be conducted.

Please note that for flights originating in the United Kingdom, local policies regarding carry on baggage will apply.  These policies tend to be more stringent than United States policy.  You may wish to check with you air carrier for additional details on United Kingdom requirements.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 03:48:24 pm »
Thanks for the information Dennis !

To my knowledge the restrictions applied in Canada are basically the same as in the USA, which means laptops and cell phones are being permitted.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2006, 09:24:34 am »
Well, I see I'm going to be REAL pretty by the time I arrive in Montreal!

I will have to be at Albuquerque International Airport at about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday. I really am not pretty at that hour anyway, so the poor airport personnel and my fellow passengers will just have to put on dark glasses and bear with me.

Since Albuquerque is a three-hour drive from my home, I am leaving Aztec Monday evening. My mother is putting me up for the three or four hours of sleep I will get.

I hope they serve coffee on the plane.

I am going to chance taking my Prilosec and Claritin in my carry on, along with my other meds. I think I will get a letter from my doc saying they are necessary.

Just about everything else is going in my checked bag.

HUGS,

Mark

Who is very excited and can't wait to meet all of you!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 09:31:54 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2006, 09:47:18 am »
ok, I'm cornfused agin...I thought any medicine was okay to carryon as long as it wasn't liquid or gel (or aerosol, like an inhaler.)  We have to have a doctor's note for Claritin??? ???

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:24 am »
Probably not, but just to be on the safe side, I thought I would get one anyway.

Since it isn't prescription and won't have my name on it, I can seem them saying its contraband or something.

While I'm sure the airport security is trying to be thorough, I always seem to be the one singled out for a search for some reason.

Maybe its my distinguished features - or my resemblance to Vladimir Lenin. (Don't you hate to be compared to someone who's been dead for nearly 90 years?)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2006, 04:29:54 pm »
I have not been so concerned over "liquids and solids" since high school science class.

They probably have a sign posted on the inside of the plane restroom that says "if your stool is formed, go ahead and flush it; if you have diarrhea, DO NOT FLUSH we will need to examine it first"......

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dennis

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 09:06:17 pm »
The TSA has revised their screening process at airports today.

The most significant changes to the security measures include mandatory shoe screening for all travelers and the admission of up to 4 oz. of non-prescription medicine. This refinement affords the same level of security that has been in place since last Thursday, but is intended to minimize the impact on travelers.

Shoe Screening Policy

You are required to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector. All types of footwear must be placed on the X-ray machine to be screened. If you do not comply with Security Officers, you will not be allowed to board your flight.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 08:44:38 am »
On the news this morning they're talking about laptop batteries that are exploding...Del is recalling quite a few.  For those carrying a laptop you might wanna keep an eye out for possible changes...  There is a list of BATTERIES that are short circuiting and you might wanna check and see if yours laptop's lithium battery is one of them. 

I'm wearing FLOPS which should make it easy to slip off and on for them to xray.  No doubt I'll have to wash my feet when I get to the hotel....and only clothes and cameras in my carry on.  Which means I've got to pack all my toiletries (and being a homosexual...I have many) in my checked luggage....  Can you carry cigarette lighters in your Checked Luggage?  A bottle of wine? 

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really EXCITED and ANXIOUS :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 08:59:44 am »
I wonder if I should try to pack my unopened contact lenses in my carryon or check them? I know you are allowed a contact lens case, but these are in their little blister packs.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.