Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:50:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 600
Total: 602

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Meds at an odd time+alcohol  (Read 3033 times)

Offline gryffindork90

Meds at an odd time+alcohol
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:58 pm »
I've been taking Atripla for about a month know, and have been pretty good at taking it at a fairly consistent time, but I've also not had any reason since I started to have that time shift much. This Friday however, I'll be attending a wedding, and I'm curious about 2 things.

First of all, I normally take the pill around 8pm and am asleep by 10. Obviously with the wedding, my whole timeline will be thrown off that day. Is it more important to stop eating earlier so I can take the pill around 8 like normal, or will I be ok taking it a few hours late?

Second of all, since starting the medication, I've not had any alcohol, so I don't know exactly what to do there. Should I just not drink at all? Or maybe just stop drinking earlier in the night?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Offline eric48

• Standard
Re: Meds at an odd time+alcohol
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:43:37 pm »
Hi,

Welcome here.

I'm NOT on atripla, so ...

But, any medication that your body needs to get adjusted to requires a bit of caution.

If you'd be already 6 months into treatment and well adjusted, etc. (so called 'stable'), then everyone would tell you: does not matter !

But, generally speaking, for the first six months you may want to stay on a conservative course.

I have done like you have, no alcohol for a few months. There is no proof that this is a must do, but, look, these are still pretty strong medications anyways

Concerning the timing, here also, take a conservative approach. Like many others the meds are probably doing the right job and your VL is most likely decaying.
Then why bother?
Yet, if the next blood results are not so good, you will keep thinking you have 'failed' somehow... And this may torture you, even if this is not true

Be conservative. The self imposed ban can be lifted soon!

Most importantly: do not miss the dose. Dosage time with Atripla is not as critical as with my own regimen, most people think that a couple of hours should be OK.
Especially for a one time event!

Enjoy the wedding !
Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:13 pm »
You'll be fine taking a dose late for a wedding. But, since you are in the initial weeks of treatment, do take it.

As for alcohol, who knows? Some people can drink like a fish on efavirenz (this is the drug in Atripla that needs consideration), some people are floored by half a glass of champagne. There's only one way to find out....

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
The technical reason for my remark is that after 5 days efavirenz reaches a constant level (steady state) in your body and you need to be off it at least several days before you have less than enough of the drug present for it to be ineffective at suppressing the virus. Tenofovir and FTC, the other 2 drugs in Atripla, have at least a +8 window after the expected doing time once you've taken these for 2-3 weeks. So after a month on Atripla a single late dose is acceptable for a wedding (within +8 hours of normal dosing time if you want to get nerdy about it).

- matt/font]
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.