Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When and should I tell my adopted daughter she is HIV positive?  (Read 6446 times)

Offline LoriTomatoe

When and should I tell my adopted daughter she is HIV positive?
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:24:35 pm »
I want to do everything perfect.  I want things to be good and wonderful for her.  I love her with all of my being and want to do only what is best.  I am an activist, supporter and a message sender to any and all who will listen about the truth of HIV/AIDS.  I want to hear from any and all of you what you believe you would have wanted or want.  She is 4 years old.  Undetectable and healthy.  She is and has  been on medication since birth. Thank you to all of you.  Faith and Hope is what it is.
Without Faith....why bother?  Hope is the cure

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: When and should I tell my adopted daughter she is HIV positive?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:33:41 pm »
I don't have any children, but everything I've read regarding having to spring major news on kids like that says that you always mention it around them... so they never don't know.

I think that might be less traumatic... wouldn't she notice even as a kid anyway that she has to go to the doctor more than her friends... maybe have to take medication?  And if you spring it on her when she's a bit older, she might react in an unhealthy way by not taking meds or getting depressed.

I don't mean to talk out of my butt here... but I think always talking about it... and letting her know as early as possible would avoid the major shock that would come later.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:42:53 pm »
Hi Lori,

Aupointillimite, has a valid point where it comes to letting her know as early as possible. In this situation, it is a very delicate matter that is being addressed.

In all reality, there is really no specific time that you should tell her. What may be considered is her level of understanding on the situation with her health.

When the time comes when she will ask you about her health, that may be a more appropriate time to tell her about it.

I wish you the BEST on this decision that is to be made.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline LoriTomatoe

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:25 pm »
No, you are not talking out of your butt....LOL.  I appreciate everyones thoughts.  My adopted son takes meds for other reasons also, so in her mind we all take our "Vitamins" twice a day.  That is what I have called them.  but now she will be entering that age, as you said, where she will notice going to ther Dr. more and so on.  I just don't want other kids, teachers or anyone judging her or thinking negatively about her because she truly is a ray of sunshine and the happiest child I have ever seen.  Thanks again for all of your replies.  I think  I will address it more when she becomes more inquisitive about why she has to take that stuff, and what kind of vitamins are they.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:37:59 pm »
I know... it's an extremely delicate subject... my little brother and sister are now 9 and 7, and they're getting to that "understanding discretion" age... which I do think would be incredibly important.

It's really horrible when stigma affects the way parents have to relate to their children.  I wish you nothing but the best!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:49:09 pm »
Lori the suggestion made by aupoint sounds like the probable best approach, and hopefully there are others on here that can provide further guidance from their perspectives/experiences.

I'm an information hoarder so I'd probably contact a group like the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation and see if they can hook you up with other parents or psychologists that have gone through this and know the practices that work best when dealing with such a delicate situation.

Best of luck to you and most admiration for providing a loving home for a child living with HIV.

Mikey
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:34:52 am »
I definitely think you should tell her but my question is she is only 4, maybe it's just me but I think that is a little soon. At this point she doesn't expect anything is amiss because everyone takes their vitamins as you say. I think you should wait til she gets a little older because for adults, it is hard to handle, and am not sure a 4 yr old could truly grasp the situation. I say let her go on enjoying being a child. But the decision is yours, of course. Good Luck.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:28:25 am »
I think  I will address it more when she becomes more inquisitive about why she has to take that stuff, and what kind of vitamins are they.

Hi Lori,

That sounds like a very wise plan, and the least traumatic for your daughter.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:13:11 am »
Hi Lori,

My daughter is 13, and while she is not positive, she's known about HIV since she was 10 months old.  During the first years, it was an explanation that daddy was sick and needs to take medications.  Then it became a blood infection that hurts his immune system, so she'd be aware of how to help should there be blood involved in any household accidents.

As she got older, and in elementary school, she did have a 'slip' and tell her best friend's family that her mom and dad have HIV.  She learned from that experience (such a damned young age too) that discretion is best. Because her best friend's family nearly stopped her from coming over.

As for telling your daughter, you will know when the time is right.  Also, ask the pediatrition when they think is the right time to tell her.  I would do as others have suggested, and make mention in her presence about how she's got an illness that requires medication, so she's not surprised when she finally learns the truth.

Good luck.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 09:03:24 am »
Hi Lori!
There is a Spainsh article about that subject. It is called "being born with HIV". I am going to post you the link. Maybe you can tranlate it by using a good transalation program or maybe you speak a bit of Spanish.
Parents usually tell their children when they are 12 years old and till then they say meds are supplements for anemia...Hope this helps and here goes the link:
http://www.educacionenvalores.org/article.php3?id_article=748
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:22 am »
Hello, welcome  :)

you might find some useful ideas here - CHIVA's info on talking to children with hiv about their health:
http://www.bhiva.org/chiva/protocols/supportdocs/talking-with-children.pdf

kate

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 01:25:23 pm »
when do you tell the children? ........Start now!!

How do you tell the children? You nurture thier knowledge of HIV the same way you nurture thier knowledge of anything else, such as school, math, music, etc. It's not a "one time deal". You dont just sit the kids down and tell em, and be done with it. You teach the in layers, appropriate to thier age. and you continue to teach them. As they grow, so should thier knowledge of HIV. Whther the particular kid has it or not, all kids now a days need to be educated on HIV, because at the rate it is going now, most children will grow up to know hiv, whether it be through thier own diagnosis, or someone they know. Already this year, 2.9 million people have died of Aids. Every 8 seconds, there's a newly infected person.

It makes no sense to me, after 25 years, of this even more will die from this, in record numbers than the eighties, before "Our Leaders", "the powers that be" or whatever label you want to give them, will actually do something about this disease. Until then, we are left on our own. We take 12 years to teach kids things they will use in the real world, to succeed at what.....money and politics. Yet, the least amount of educational effort is given to something like HIV, education that if administered accurately with pertinent information ...will save thier lives. Sure, we have better meds than what we had in the beginning, but THAT's the only thing that has drastically changed. The mortality rate steadily increases, right along with the infection rate.

I have a 5 year old, that started learning about "daddy's HIV" when she was 3, almost 4. She dont comprehend technical terms and explanations, but she understands what she sees in her Dad. But as she grows so has her knowledge, they understand more than most adults will give them credit for.

I've done public speaking in my community to people of all ages, can tell you an instance when i was talking to youth, and opened the floor for questions....a young 10 yr old boy used this termanology when he asked his question..."Can you get HIV from a blowjob" I was floored at what the kids knew at that age, so i stepped up my game, you have to stay one step of ahead of everyone to effectively educate about HIV, for the simple reason 25 years of society's opinions and response to HIV, for every one person that stands up to tell the truth about HIV, theres a handful that think otherwise* One more thing that hasnt changed after 25 years....the patients with HIV, are still teaching the DOCTORS/Scientists

In closing my kids have learned an abundance of HIV education, since my diagnosis. I teach em to Be Real, Be Ready, and Be Aware....and that they are, yours can be too*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 01:44:11 pm »

AIDS2HIV,

I agree with you.. somewhat.   Telling my four year old that daddy has an illness would be a little different than telling her she has it.  It's not as easy as just taking the stance of "Start Now!!".

Lori,

I have no insight into this situation.  While being a father myself I could not fathom having this discussion with my 4 year old.  That's not to say you shouldn't because truth be told you should.  I just know it would be difficult.  You have been given some great advice here and I am sure you will be able to handle this correctly.  I just want you to know that you have my admiration for adopting a child that many others would have declined to take.  She is a very lucky child to have you and I can tell you feel just as lucky to have her. 

I wish you the best Lori and goodluck.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 01:58:53 pm »
knowledge is power....regardless of age, or circumstance*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 04:00:07 pm »

"knowledge is power....regardless of age, or circumstance*"

Eldon is that you?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 07:33:19 pm »
nope, im not eldon. I'm just a man with aids, that has made some changes in his community with HIV education. You can find out more about me at my website

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 07:34:42 pm »
Lori, thanks for bringing up this heavy duty question.

In general I think it's good to be guided by a child's questions. When your daughter brings up a question like when she notices she's going to the doctor and what's it for, answer only what she asks and keep it very simple.

You definitely don't have to cover the subject in one fell swoop. If you try to do that you'll both be overwhelmed and she probably won't get it anyway.

A lot depends on you sorting out your own feelings about this task of parenting, your own thoughts and fears and everything else. The clearer you get about that, the better able you will be to handle talking about it with her at the appropriate pace. You can talk with a professional yourself and/or with someone you're close to whom you respect.

You being at peace as much as possible will convey to your daughter that she's ok, that she's safe and being take care of. That's very important. As she gets older she will have more questions and concerns. By beginning with a simple, solid and truthful approach, you will have created a solid basis for trust on her part.

Please keep us posted on how this is going.

Parenting is damn hard. But oh, the rewards are worth it.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline LoriTomatoe

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 09:17:19 pm »
I  just want to say....Wow.  I am humbled and grateful for such wonderful advice.  I will read and re-read this many times.  This has helped me more than any website or support group/organization so far.  God bless you all.  Lori

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.